Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Keeping a Black Car Clean

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 12:02 PM
poser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Keeping a Black Car Clean

I just bought a brand new BLACK RX 330. Everyone warned me about getting a black car because its hard to keep clean, but I felt that black looked the best. In any case, I need some tips on how to keep my black car clean.

1. One thing I noticed on the front and rear window is that the window surface that the wiper blades wipe against is a different shade than the surrounding window surface. I tried using soap to get rid of it but it doesnt work. This same behavior I noticed is also on my other cars. How do I get rid of these rainbow-like shades? I want both the front and rear window to be completely clean.

2. I recently received the Touch of Class coating on my car. But I noticed very fine scratch marks. I think its because the person who washed it at Lexus, used some kind of fine brush. They buffered it out for me, but when I took it in again for a checkup, they offered if I wanted them to wash my car. I told them about the fine scratches and they told me that they couldnt prevent those on a black car. So I told them not to wash the car. So the lesson is, if you have a black Lexus, DONT let Lexus wash your car. Right now, Im using a wool mitt to wash my car. I believe anything else will show scratches.

roger
Old 01-04-05, 02:35 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by poser
I just bought a brand new BLACK RX 330. Everyone warned me about getting a black car because its hard to keep clean, but I felt that black looked the best. In any case, I need some tips on how to keep my black car clean.

1. One thing I noticed on the front and rear window is that the window surface that the wiper blades wipe against is a different shade than the surrounding window surface. I tried using soap to get rid of it but it doesnt work. This same behavior I noticed is also on my other cars. How do I get rid of these rainbow-like shades? I want both the front and rear window to be completely clean.

2. I recently received the Touch of Class coating on my car. But I noticed very fine scratch marks. I think its because the person who washed it at Lexus, used some kind of fine brush. They buffered it out for me, but when I took it in again for a checkup, they offered if I wanted them to wash my car. I told them about the fine scratches and they told me that they couldnt prevent those on a black car. So I told them not to wash the car. So the lesson is, if you have a black Lexus, DONT let Lexus wash your car. Right now, Im using a wool mitt to wash my car. I believe anything else will show scratches.

roger
Black is impossible to keep clean for long. But scratches can be kept to a minimum. It is a dozen times easier to avoid scratches than to remove them so this extra effort is worth it especially since any paint blemish is highlighted on black or other similarly dark colors.

Don't take your car through car washes. Wash it yourself using the two-bucket method and be sure to have a grit screen in the bucket used for rinsing the mitt. Use high quality auto wash soap and at the proper dilution. Too strong and you risk removing your wax and too little and you may not have enough lubricity. Use new wash mitts and replace them several times a year. Use the older mitts for the lower body and wheels.

Wash the car in the shade and only if the paint is cool to the touch. Wash a panel at a time and rinse the mitt in the rinse bucket. Reload it with suds and do another panel. Don't let the suds dry on the surface. When finished washing take the nozzle of the hose and use a low water flow to sheet off as much water as possible. For drying the remaining water use a high quality waffle weave micro fiber towel. Don't rub but dab to blot up the remaining water for a spot free finish.

Now is the time to put your hand in a baggie and gently draw it across the paint, especially the horizontal surfaces. It should feel as smooth as glass. If it feels rough or you feel pits you need to clay your finish now. The smoother your finish the less it will hold onto dust and dirt. Dust is your enemy.

Apply a polish to remove any scratches if needed, ScratchX from Meguiars works well if you are doing this by hand. Follow this with a pure polish to make the dark color look deep and wet. Then top with a wax or sealant of your choice. Use good quality products. There are a lot of threads on this topic over at Autopia.com if you need help in choosing your products.

Assuming your car is waxed and looking good, now it's time to fight that evil enemy, dust. After each wash, use a quick detailer to restore that slippery finish so that dust doesn't stick as firmly. Use the plushest micro fiber you can buy and don't press too hard when wiping QD residue.

Keep a bottle of QD and a few MF towels in your car for emergencies. Things like bird droppings need to be removed immediately or they will begin to etch your paint.

If you do a lot of highway or expressway driving consider having a clear bra installed. These are almost invisible and will help keep your car from getting paint chips.

If you regularly park your car out in the elements consider a good quality car cover.

IMHO, nothing looks as good as a freshly detailed black car. Unfortunately the look fades in a day as a layer of dust can dull your shine.

I use Stoners Invisible Glass for the windows. It seems to keep them clean but road grime and oils can attach to the glass over time leaving a film. Clay the glass after you clay the paint to remove it.
Old 01-05-05, 11:05 AM
poser
Driver School Candidate

Wow. Thanks for all the tips. Im going to try them out the next time I wash my car. Too bad it keeps raining in SF.
Old 01-05-05, 11:54 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by poser
Wow. Thanks for all the tips. Im going to try them out the next time I wash my car. Too bad it keeps raining in SF.
SF is one of my favorite cities in the US. I am there once or twice a year. Usually, I spend a few days there and drive on down to Monterey/Carmel on US1 for a few days. This reminds me that I need to make reservations for the Monterey Wine Festival.
Old 01-07-05, 08:11 AM
VEGASRX330
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was born and raised in SF...so i know how much fun that city can be. i miss it sometimes. anyway, good luck on keeping that black RX clean. i knew it was going to be a major challenge as well when i choose black, but i still think its worth the effort. there's nothing nicer to me than a clean looking black car that has just been waxed. (too bad it doesnt last very long). good luck!
Old 01-18-05, 01:02 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About the discoloration of your windshield I believe it's because the wipers apply a film of some sort to keep that area cleaner. I think the film is a type of wax that beads up water so the water flies off the windshield quicker.
Don't know if this is definite but that's what I believe it is. Especially with the luxury brands this is a safety precaution. I know that performance wipers have this type of material. Allows for a smoother wipe and more water beads.
I know PIAA wiper blades apply silicone. Maybe the same with our OEM blades.
Old 01-20-05, 12:06 PM
2004RX330
Rookie

I heard the Meguiars NXT is good, anyone has any comments??
Old 01-21-05, 08:40 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2004RX330
I heard the Meguiars NXT is good, anyone has any comments??
It is a good and easy to use sealant. The durability is not all that great. I use it but then follow a day later with Meguiars # 16 that has great durability. Two of my cars are dark; one Midnight Pine and the other Black.