Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Waxing A Black 98 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-01, 03:45 PM
GS4Me
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worm...how long does it takes for you to complete the whole job using the Zaino process. I heard it takes up between 2-3 days due to the 24/hr waiting period between each process. True?
Old 05-18-01, 04:30 PM
TheWorm
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GS4Me
Worm...how long does it takes for you to complete the whole job using the Zaino process. I heard it takes up between 2-3 days due to the 24/hr waiting period between each process. True?
That's true for the initial application/prep, but not for subsequent ones. Here's how I did it:

Dawn wash, clay, dawn: ~2.25 hours
- Z1: 20 min
- Z5 on top of Z1 when hazed (as soon as I was around the car w/Z1 since it was warm out): 15 min
- waited for about 4 hrs to dry
- buffed: 20 min
- Z6: 10 min
- waited 24 hours for curing
- next and subsequent coats of z5/3: about 10 min on, 1 hr dry, 5-10 min off

So, basically, you're looking at a weekend for the initial application (dawn, clay, dawn, z1/z5, z6, then 1 more coat of z5/3). After that, it's just a regular wash and then the z5/z3 only takes about 10 on, 10 off with an hour in between.

FYI, Zaino is coming out with an additive for existing lines that reduces wait/cure time to ZERO.

Old 05-18-01, 08:47 PM
Bruce
Driver School Candidate

The word I get from my dealer is that Lexus doesn't clear-coat ANY of their black paint jobs, regardless of model.
I heard the reason you don't clear coat black is because it will show swirls 10 times worse than straight paint. Plus the clear gives off a glare that makes the paint look wavy.
yes lexus does not offer a clear coat on there black cars thats what they told me when I first purchased my car they said that the black is the only color that doesnt have a clear coat
Hey Guys
Please forgive me if i seem a bit harsh but my intentions are truly genuine. I do not doubt what all of you have heard or what you've been told.Some of you though are actually adding to these unconfirmed quotes. Still no one is 100% sure not even Mr. Zaino himself, who is at most, FAIRLY certain. Is this the company that is also Fairly certain it's okay to use dish soap?(that's another topic) As for the dealership confirming the "No Clear"....The word "Dealership" consist of Salesmen, Mechanics, Parts clerk or even Office clerks. So who was it? I'm not saying that your wrong I just can't understand why some enthusiasts like ourselves that are so concerned with detail and cannot settle with the standard equipment, yet can be so easily satisfied with answers that come from standard people who think we're crazy spending so much on our cars!
because when I pulled off the side skirts to install the L-Sportline ones, I wet-sanded a small area & observed no clear coat ( it would have been visible as a milky residue, based on my years of bodyworking ).
Is this standard practice in your industry? Wouldn't it be much easier to just open the door and get the color code?It's much easier and more profitable for shops to paint single stage paint than two stage(base/clear) especially body kits.
I'm not an expert but I checked the Driver Door Tag on Black '98 GS400 for factory color code.
"C/TR 202/####" (C is color/ TR is interior trim)
202 is color code I called paint supply shop which came up as Black Base with Clear Coat. I was also told it was very expensive and it to be one of the blackest of Black Paints they have come across. But this doesn't mean that '99-'01 models have Clear coat just the '98's. I suggested that our answer is on the Driver side door, has anyone checked theirs.
Again, Please take this info positively so you don't get taken in the future and I appologize if I've offended anyone.
Old 05-18-01, 10:22 PM
TheWorm
Driver School Candidate

Well Bruce, my wife's mad @ me for surfing on a Friday night. Here's what I've found...

The layman's test for clearcoat is either: an abrasive on the paint (if paint transfer with light pressure, there is NO clearcoat; if no paint transfer, then YES clearcoat) *or* Mean Gene's technique with "milky residue" evidence when wet sanding/buffing, indicating the presence of clearcoat.

That said, and BTW I am virtually certain there is NO clear on a Black Onyx (yes, paint code 202 on a '00 GS), I was able to determine that the following paint vendors have color 202 or 202 matched paint:

Sherwin Williams, BASF, PPG, DuPont, and SpiesHecker.

Only the PPG has a clearcoat as a second step. The others do not. FWIW, white and super white (various codes) have NO CLEAR FROM ANY MFR. The pearl white does, of course.

So I think the "real" answer depends on who OEM'd the paint for the GS line in 2000 (or whichever model year).

In any case, and since the original question had to do with Zaino: whether one usees z2 or z3 doesn't make much difference. The formulation is only slightly different, and using the z2 on a non-clear surface or z3 on a clear surface will have no adverse effect, although the results will be suboptimal.

Last edited by TheWorm; 05-18-01 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-19-01, 09:00 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry How About a Little Credit?

Bruce - Well, I, for one, AM offended! U could give us a little credit for our research. No, I'm not stupid enough to ask my dealer's ACCOUNTANT if she knows whether or not my car's cleared. The technical people at the dealership/bodyshop are supposed to be able to answer these questions anyway. I did the side skirt project on my own to help shed some light on these question that no one seems to be able to answer with 100% certainty. I was replacing them factory skirts anyway - even my paint guy was surprised to not see any residue. Also, as Worm said, I used Meguairs before I found Zaino & when I applied their mildly abrasive cleaner, there was a black residue left on my rag so that was my first clue as to no clear coat. My paint code ( obtained from the door jamb & also my invoice paperwork ) is also #0202. Maybe it does depend on where the car's final destination is - surely the South ( with our high heat & humidity ) would qualify for clear? I guess it's my turn to apologize for venting on ya but if U knew how much work I've done on my own to my GS to help other Members out ( there's not a section of my car that hasn't been modified - audio; brakes; exhaust; intake; tranny; lights; suspension & cosmetics included ), maybe U'd understand why U hit a nerve.
Old 05-19-01, 09:17 AM
Bruce
Driver School Candidate

Well Bruce, my wife's mad @ me for surfing on a Friday night. Here's what I've found...
Grrreat.... did you have to drag my name thru her kitchen. What you are really trying to say, is that you blamed it all on me and she's pissed!
[
That said, and BTW I am virtually certain there is NO clear on a Black Onyx (yes, paint code 202 on a '00 GS), I was able to determine that the following paint vendors have color 202 or 202 matched paint:
Hmmm, I'm now looking at a can of DuPont ChromaSystem G9900S Super Jet Black basecoat that requires a clearcoat.
So I think the "real" answer depends on who OEM'd the paint for the GS line in 2000 (or whichever model year).
hey.....yeah, good answer, you may be right. Actually I know that the EPA has really cracked down the last 5 years and every year has banned the sale and usage of certain automotive paints and by-products in certain states/territories.The ban of Lacquer Paint is a perfect example. This would support kinda support your theory..... so maybe some of the ingredients that were available in '98 were not allowed in 2000 so they ended up making new formula and also made it single stage.....
Tell your wife you've solved the mystery just like old TV show detective......Joe Friday
Old 05-19-01, 11:37 AM
clivej
Pole Position

hi,
I have been using zaino now for a year approx. and at first the whole thing about clear or not clear coat came into question.Sal Zaino at that time thought that it was and instructed me to do the tests aswell.I did'nt, I called lexus(not the dealer)and gave them the "vin" number, they told me that it was not clear coat,something to do with absorbtion of certain sun rays and that of reflectivity other rays was not necessary because they were absorbed by the color black,(this could all be BS) but so what,I not going to paint over my car!.Anyway zaino is the best car care product i have ever used,I'am not saying i've used them all, just the more popular ones,and never have i recieved the remarks i get since using this product.Just this morning while stopped at red light this 20+ year old fellow was crossing and staring at the car wit a big grin, stopped and gave me the OK sign, the grin on my face was bigger.Zaino its a great product.98 gs 400 black. :
Old 05-19-01, 09:42 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By the way, the part about "absorbtion of certain sun rays and that of reflectivity other rays was not necessary because they were absorbed by the color black" could be true. Black does absorb the sun's some of the most harmful rays. But I think they definitely could have clear-coated it, and they simply didn't to save money and used the little since about the Sun to insure them that they won't need it.

Also, I am sure Zaino is an excellent product, that is why I have been surfing their website and am probably going to order their products soon. But, I think the guy at the red light had more of a grin from the "type" of car you are driving than how clean it is

By the way, do any of you guys use Zaino's leather stuff? I want to clean AND nourish/replenish my leather but I want to use only the best. I am afraid to use just anything fearing that it may ruin the interior.
Old 05-20-01, 03:15 AM
GS4IV
Driver School Candidate

I used to have a black 325 - it was also the only colour with no clear coat.
I used Zymol wash and wax - good results. hard to apply.
You guys are lucky to live in California, winter time in Toronto you can not keep a black car clean for 5 minutes!

Ivan
Old 05-20-01, 03:53 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

nanotech,

If you're in doubt, you can always buy the leather cleaner and lotion from the dealer. Something like $11 apiece and it smells like Hawaiian Tropic.

GSIV,

I know how you feel. I spend hours on my car and 30 seconds (literally) out of the garage, I've got dead bugs and dirt all over my bumper and winshield. It's so discouraging, I don't bother with the elbow grease most of the time.

Brian
Old 05-20-01, 05:20 AM
clivej
Pole Position

Talking

hi guys,
yes i use the leather cleaner and conditioner, the cleaner, i use on my furniture indoors as well,same high quality product,very storng and effective,very pleasant leathery scent, and most important very little elbow grease involved.(note ) you should do one seat at a time, clean then condition,you will be very, very pleased with it, my interior is beige,which is not too happy with blue jeans,but zaino removed the blue,no problem,no sweat.
Old 05-21-01, 02:57 PM
chowder
Driver

Default nanotech

i think lexol makes the best leather cleaner, conditioner (and now vinyl treatment). used it forever. have not tried the analagous zaino product. have done the full zaino polish scheme. still studying that...
Old 05-21-01, 05:02 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Leather Conditioner

I have tried Lexol, Zanios and the stuff that they sell at the Lexus dealer. This stuff from Griot's Garage is by far the best. Bear in mind that my leather is Black, so I don't need to clean, only condition. You boys with that light color leather may have a different point of view.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11141

Old 05-21-01, 05:21 PM
Mike
Driver

Default No clearcoat treatment?

I just got done polishing my black GS, just figuring there was a clearcoat on it. It looks great, I used a clearcoat polisher.(I was wondering why there was black residue in the pad, now I know) After reading all these posts, I hope I didnt do any harm to my paint. How do you treat a vehicle with no clearcoat? As opposed to a vehicle with a clearcoat. Polishing/wax/washing etc....

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-21-01, 10:15 PM
lexus808
Rookie

Talking

Hi all. My lexus is coming in late this week or next week sometime! I'm very excited! Anyway I was able to confirm with my salesperson that the black 2001 gs300 that I'm getting does not have a clearcoat. Oh well. I think I'll try that zaino polish. Guess it will work best while my car is new.

Quick Reply: Waxing A Black 98 GS400