Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Which of the following Waxes,polishes do you like the BEST and WHY?
Mothers California Carnauba Cleaner
2.58%
Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba
2.58%
Nu Finish
3.72%
Turtle Wax Finish 2001
1.72%
Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell
1.15%
Turtle Wax Emerald Series
1.72%
3M Perfect-IT Show Car Paste
1.00%
Collinite Super Doublecoat
0.14%
Collinite Marque D'Elegance
0.29%
Eagle One Wet Polish&Wax
1.00%
Gliptone Original Carnauba Paste
0%
Gliptone Platinum Series Paste
0%
Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax
25.64%
Meguiar's #16 Paste Wax
2.01%
Meguiar's #19 Cleaner/Wax
4.44%
Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech
4.44%
Meguiar's Gold Class
14.90%
Meguiar's Medallion
2.44%
The Wax Shop Super Glaze Liquid
0.57%
Blitz One Grand
0.86%
Griot's Garage Best Of Show
1.15%
Griot's Garage Carnauba Paste Wax
0.43%
Prestone Bullet Wax
0%
P21S Concours-Look Carnauba Wax
4.87%
Pinnacle Paste Glaz Carnauba
0.14%
Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba
3.30%
BlackFire
0.57%
Finish First World Class Auto Polish
0%
Klasse All-in-One & Sealant Glaze
7.16%
Liquid Glass Ultimate Auto Polish
1.72%
Zymol Carbon Carnauba
3.15%
Zymol Concours Carnauba
1.43%
Zymol Titanium Carnauba
1.29%
All Of the Zaino Wax
18.19%
others that I may have miss
14.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 698. You may not vote on this poll

Which waxes,polishes do you use and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 11:23 AM
genearch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tod071
aka Chemical Guys! Adams, Danase, and more are private labels of Chemical Guys. You can check out their site and order directly from them. Jetseal 109 is an awesome sealant. Expensive ($40/16oz), but a little goes a long way and well worth it. IMO, better than Zaino's Z2/Z5.
Yup.. I knew Adam's buys from Chemical Guys. Their QD, In&Out and Wash Soap are great!
Old 06-28-07, 11:55 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

Adam's does make a good QD.

One tip I can share is use a sealant as a base if you plan to use a carnauba. Some of the nicest finishes I have seen have been an AIO or similar sealent as a base and a carnauba topper.
Old 07-03-07, 06:57 AM
MShybrid
Pole Position

One brand that everyone overlooks is Duragloss. Duragloss has been around forever and they actually make a good line of products.
I recently applied 111 to my Light Almond (gold) Dodge Ram and it give me the wettest look of anything I have tried so far. Give it a try...you will truly be amazed

www.duragloss.com
Old 07-05-07, 12:19 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

wow 11 pages of this thread. i am too lazy to read it all.

i just use meguiar's 3 step with a clay bar. i wash at least 2-3 times a month. still thinking to get a pc to help the waxing part though.
Old 07-13-07, 04:24 PM
JefSpicoli
Driver School Candidate

sorry to be so far off track, but all of these products sound amazing. does anyone know where in los angeles i can buy them? kragen, autozone, etc don't carry zaino, 1z, or poorboy. thanks.
Old 07-13-07, 04:58 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Somehow this thread isnt dying
Old 07-13-07, 05:04 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JefSpicoli
sorry to be so far off track, but all of these products sound amazing. does anyone know where in los angeles i can buy them? kragen, autozone, etc don't carry zaino, 1z, or poorboy. thanks.

Just mail order from www.zainostore.com. It's fast and Sal throws in free applicators.
Old 07-14-07, 04:08 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZANIO FTW its the best thing i have ever used in my life
Old 07-15-07, 04:55 AM
darchard
Driver

Default I tried the Simoniz Liquid Diamond

and can't believe the shine! Granted, I'm not in car shows or a pro by any stretch but it was easy and looks great. The motorized applicator was great. We will see how long it lasts.
Old 07-21-07, 07:19 PM
350TPI
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought some pinnacle because of this thread!BTW,i am new and would like to say hello to everyone.
Old 07-23-07, 11:09 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What the heck, based on MShybrid's advice I'll chime in. A number of outstanding products are listed on the poll. It goes to prove the old adage - detailing is 90% process and 10% product.

On almost every vehicle I detail I'll use a sealant topped with a carnauba. As mentioned, the sealant provides the protection and the wax makes everything look really happy. That said, the exceptions are almost always light-colored vehicles. On my car I just go with sealant - it provides plenty of pop from the metallic content and wouldn't benefit too much from the wetness and reflectivity that carnauba provides.

I've found that Toyota/Lexus clearcoats are fairly hard and quite durable. For polishing I'll generally use Menzerna IP and FPII, occasionally switching to Optimum Compound or Poorboy's SSR 2.5 if the damage is significant. My go-to sealant is Four Star UPP, but I'll often use Menzerna FMJ as well. P21S and Poorboy's Natty's Blue are my main waxes. As much as I love the look of Pinnacle Souveran, from a durability standpoint I rarely justify using it - it's just too expensive. On a black finish right before a show...or someone selling their car, youbetcha. Otherwise, two coats of Natty's Blue generally do it for me.

Four Star - like Duragloss - is one of those brands that is rarely mentioned. I love both, and in fact recently switched to Duragloss shampoo. It's, by far, the best I've used, especially at its price point. Chemical Guys makes incredible stuff and for anyone interested in drama I recommend checking out the dedicated detailing forums...it's always fun to read about the folks who re-brand the same stuff but have dedicated fans who will tout one over the other.
Old 07-23-07, 03:22 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 350TPI
I just bought some pinnacle because of this thread!BTW,i am new and would like to say hello to everyone.
Welcome to CL.
Which part of MS are you from? I'm from the Hattiesburg area myself.
Old 07-23-07, 03:41 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

At a cost of $80 per container, Pinnacle Souveran is very expensive. It does provide a very good shine but it wouldn't be something I would suggest for your daily driver of for lighter colored vehicles. PS stands out on colors like black or red. There are alternatives......Pinnacle also makes Liquid Souveran. It is a liquid wax instead of a paste type wax. ($29) It gives a great shine at a fraction of the cost.
One wax that did not impress me was DP Max Wax. I may give it another go and see if my opinion changes.
Old 07-23-07, 06:41 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MShybrid
At a cost of $80 per container, Pinnacle Souveran is very expensive. It does provide a very good shine but it wouldn't be something I would suggest for your daily driver of for lighter colored vehicles. PS stands out on colors like black or red. There are alternatives......Pinnacle also makes Liquid Souveran. It is a liquid wax instead of a paste type wax. ($29) It gives a great shine at a fraction of the cost.
One wax that did not impress me was DP Max Wax. I may give it another go and see if my opinion changes.
I have to ask what didn't impress you about max wax? It is one of my favorites to use on black cars and kitchen countertops.
Old 07-23-07, 06:52 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

I may have been having a bad day when I tried out the Max Wax. I tested it on a dark blue and it didn't seem to give the depth I was looking for.
I ordered the MaxWax and Liquid Souveran at the same time and I just liked the LS better. I really need to find something to use the MW on because I have 2 full containers of the stuff.

Quick Reply: Which waxes,polishes do you use and why?