Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Which of the following Waxes,polishes do you like the BEST and WHY?
Mothers California Carnauba Cleaner
2.58%
Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba
2.58%
Nu Finish
3.72%
Turtle Wax Finish 2001
1.72%
Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell
1.15%
Turtle Wax Emerald Series
1.72%
3M Perfect-IT Show Car Paste
1.00%
Collinite Super Doublecoat
0.14%
Collinite Marque D'Elegance
0.29%
Eagle One Wet Polish&Wax
1.00%
Gliptone Original Carnauba Paste
0%
Gliptone Platinum Series Paste
0%
Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax
25.64%
Meguiar's #16 Paste Wax
2.01%
Meguiar's #19 Cleaner/Wax
4.44%
Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech
4.44%
Meguiar's Gold Class
14.90%
Meguiar's Medallion
2.44%
The Wax Shop Super Glaze Liquid
0.57%
Blitz One Grand
0.86%
Griot's Garage Best Of Show
1.15%
Griot's Garage Carnauba Paste Wax
0.43%
Prestone Bullet Wax
0%
P21S Concours-Look Carnauba Wax
4.87%
Pinnacle Paste Glaz Carnauba
0.14%
Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba
3.30%
BlackFire
0.57%
Finish First World Class Auto Polish
0%
Klasse All-in-One & Sealant Glaze
7.16%
Liquid Glass Ultimate Auto Polish
1.72%
Zymol Carbon Carnauba
3.15%
Zymol Concours Carnauba
1.43%
Zymol Titanium Carnauba
1.29%
All Of the Zaino Wax
18.19%
others that I may have miss
14.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 698. You may not vote on this poll

Which waxes,polishes do you use and why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 02:09 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meguiars NXT. its cheap, realy easy to find, real easy to put on and take off, smells great and its adds alot of shine and depth.
Old 03-10-05, 02:57 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by southernsc
Meguiars NXT. its cheap, realy easy to find, real easy to put on and take off, smells great and its adds alot of shine and depth.
There is a fairly long thread on www.autopia.org regarding NXT. People complain about its durability but I have used it on my non black cars and have enjoyed great results. However, I have always followed the application with my old stanby Meguiar's #16.
Old 03-11-05, 10:19 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Ikirchner you say non-black cars is NXT not good for black vehicles??
Old 03-11-05, 01:08 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

I use P21S on lighter metallics like my Millenium Silver (I have tried about 3 dozen waxes).
P21S is easy to apply/remove and beats any carnauba I have found on silver.

and

Pinnacle Souveran on dark colors.
Souveran give a nice wet glow, very liquid look. It's also easy to work with.

As I get more experienced I discount durability since I find most carnaubas have the same durability give or take a week. Also, I enjoy waxing my car so I don't mind. With quality Lexus paint and good maintenance the newer waxes like P21S and Souveran are quickly applied.
Old 03-14-05, 08:06 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by superpats
Ikirchner you say non-black cars is NXT not good for black vehicles??
No, NXT is good on black as well but I prefer other waxes on black. Just a matter of preference
Old 03-14-05, 08:16 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lkirchner
No, NXT is good on black as well but I prefer other waxes on black. Just a matter of preference
what do you prefer on black?
Old 03-14-05, 08:57 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

what do you prefer on black?
I start with Menzerna Final Polish followed by Meguiar's # 16. If I have any swirls, which are almost impossible to avoid, I will use Menzerna Intense polish, then Menzerna Final Polish and finally Meg's #16. The one black car that I own is a LS 430 that typically only needs the Final Polish and #16 since the paint is rather soft but easier to work with. The other black car is a SL 55 with the ceramiclear paint that is as hard as nails and a real bear to work with. That one almost always needs the Intense Polish, Final Polish and #16. Keep in mind I am an "Obsessive Detailer" and I might go just a little over board.
Old 03-14-05, 09:44 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

I start with Menzerna Final Polish followed by Meguiar's # 16. If I have any swirls, which are almost impossible to avoid, I will use Menzerna Intense polish, then Menzerna Final Polish and finally Meg's #16. The one black car that I own is a LS 430 that typically only needs the Final Polish and #16 since the paint is rather soft but easier to work with. The other black car is a SL 55 with the ceramiclear paint that is as hard as nails and a real bear to work with. That one almost always needs the Intense Polish, Final Polish and #16. Keep in mind I am an "Obsessive Detailer" and I might go just a little over board.
And you do this all by hand? I actually enjoy spending hours on detailing my 00 black ES, can't wait for some nice weather up here in the Northeast to do some serious detailing. Where can I find Menzerna?
Old 03-14-05, 10:40 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

I have found that on dark and more specifically black cars the best combo is to start with Menzerna intensive polish, then Menzerna final polish (both applied with a Porter cable orbital buffer) and followed by Meguiars #16 carnuba. The outcome is Black Glass.
Just read this and answered my own question. I'm definately going to buy a p/c 7424 and was wondering what I need for pads. Do you apply the Menzerna intensive polish with the white polishing pads and then use a separate white pad for final polish then use a red finishing pad for Meguiars #16? Would I need the black glazing pads at any time?? Guitarman if your reading this form what i've read the portar cable's lowest rpm is 2500 what is the proper rpm for applying a polish and then a wax??
Old 03-15-05, 09:26 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so which one will give a black car super wet shiny reflective look?
Old 03-16-05, 07:59 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Just read this and answered my own question. I'm definately going to buy a p/c 7424 and was wondering what I need for pads. Do you apply the Menzerna intensive polish with the white polishing pads and then use a separate white pad for final polish then use a red finishing pad for Meguiars #16? Would I need the black glazing pads at any time?? Guitarman if your reading this form what i've read the portar cable's lowest rpm is 2500 what is the proper rpm for applying a polish and then a wax??
You are correct; I use a Porter Cable to work the Menzerna. I apply and remove the #16 by hand; good old waw on wax off method. I am using pads that I bought from Griot's Garage and they work well for both of the Menzerna's. Check out www.autopia.org for an exhaustive discussion on pads. I purchased my Menzerna from Premium Auto care, www.premiumautocare.com; great people to work with and competitive pricing.
Old 03-17-05, 06:17 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the links Lou
Old 04-11-05, 09:57 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Zymol cleaner wax and 3M cleaner wax based on Consumer Reports test results. They tested 25 or so waxes a few years ago.

Both products are rated very good in gloss (no wax got the excellent grade.) And both are rated excellent in scratching/hazing. The 3M is rated excellent for its cleaning ability (no other wax comes close) so I use it on the front end and the lower portion. Zymol is average in cleaning but lasts longer than 3M, so I use it on the rest of the vehicle.

Since it's garage-kept and I get covered parking at work, I've been very lazy and just waxed the front end and the hood. I'll try to keep up the ritual to take care of my ride.
Old 04-12-05, 03:11 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Zaino, baby. Nothing sticks to it. Never seen anything like it. Lasts long too. I stopped using anything with wax in it for that reason - collects dust & dirt.
Old 04-15-05, 08:50 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

I know I'm going to get the old "this thread is useless w/out pix" but I have to share with you my delight with the Menzerna products. Yesterday I washed & clayed my car then I used Menzerna Intesive polish followed by Final polish ll, then used Menzerna Finishing touch glaze followed by the Menzerna FMJ let me tell you this stuff is awesome. So easy to work with and remove and really leaves the car with that "wet look". This was all applied using the P/C 7424 which I just got from Premium Auto Care. I ran out of daylight last night so I plan on sealing it up w/#16 later this afternoon. So far I've gotten lots of compliments today from co-workers. My boss now wants to drop his Jag off this weekend so I can detail it for him. But i've got other plans. My thanks to Dan the Guitarman for his insight and to Ikirchner for sharing his opinions and to all at the CL detailing forum. Peace out, "D"

Quick Reply: Which waxes,polishes do you use and why?