Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Which of the following Waxes,polishes do you like the BEST and WHY?
Mothers California Carnauba Cleaner
2.58%
Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba
2.58%
Nu Finish
3.72%
Turtle Wax Finish 2001
1.72%
Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell
1.15%
Turtle Wax Emerald Series
1.72%
3M Perfect-IT Show Car Paste
1.00%
Collinite Super Doublecoat
0.14%
Collinite Marque D'Elegance
0.29%
Eagle One Wet Polish&Wax
1.00%
Gliptone Original Carnauba Paste
0%
Gliptone Platinum Series Paste
0%
Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax
25.64%
Meguiar's #16 Paste Wax
2.01%
Meguiar's #19 Cleaner/Wax
4.44%
Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech
4.44%
Meguiar's Gold Class
14.90%
Meguiar's Medallion
2.44%
The Wax Shop Super Glaze Liquid
0.57%
Blitz One Grand
0.86%
Griot's Garage Best Of Show
1.15%
Griot's Garage Carnauba Paste Wax
0.43%
Prestone Bullet Wax
0%
P21S Concours-Look Carnauba Wax
4.87%
Pinnacle Paste Glaz Carnauba
0.14%
Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba
3.30%
BlackFire
0.57%
Finish First World Class Auto Polish
0%
Klasse All-in-One & Sealant Glaze
7.16%
Liquid Glass Ultimate Auto Polish
1.72%
Zymol Carbon Carnauba
3.15%
Zymol Concours Carnauba
1.43%
Zymol Titanium Carnauba
1.29%
All Of the Zaino Wax
18.19%
others that I may have miss
14.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 698. You may not vote on this poll

Which waxes,polishes do you use and why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 10:52 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use S100
Old 05-02-05, 07:46 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just read this thread and it has been very informative but I have a question. I have a black ES300 and I have a few swirl marks in my paint. What is the best way to get these out. And I also read that superpats u said you "clayed" your car. I've seen the clay bars but what do they do and how do u use it?
Old 05-02-05, 08:14 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Clay bars are used to lift contamination off of your paint that simply washing your vehicle won't do. Most clay bars come with a clay lube but you can also use quick detailer as a lubricant. Basically flatten the clay into a pancake shape and glide over your cars surface making sure there is plenty of lubricant on the surface. You'll be amazed at how dirty the clay gets even after you've washed your vehicle. This won't necessarily help to remove your swirl marks but it gives you a nice clean slate to work your compounds and polishes. As a test put your index finger in a clear plastic sandwich baggy and run your finger over your vehicles surface, if you feel the grittyness underneath your finger it would be a good idea to use the clay. You'll be amazed at how smooth the surface is when your done claying. For a more extended explanation on claying check this link out. http://store.premiumautocare.net/howtousedecl.html
Old 05-02-05, 09:42 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Claying is good, but very tiring. I use 3M Cleaner Wax, it really gets the grime out and leaves the surface baby butt smooth.
Old 05-02-05, 11:32 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Claying is good, but very tiring. I use 3M Cleaner Wax, it really gets the grime out and leaves the surface baby butt smooth.
The difference with claying is that it actually pulls stuff out of your paint, in addition to pulling stuff off.
Old 05-06-05, 09:07 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

I use mequirs professional polish # ??? I have no clue, it's in a tan bottle and costs about $9. Two coats of that gives a really nice wet look and removes swirl marks....then the NXT goes on/off with outstanding ease! Makes my 1995 car look very new...
Old 05-13-05, 06:38 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

I use Zymol cleaner wax and 3M cleaner wax based on Consumer Reports test results. They tested 25 or so waxes a few years ago.
The problem with Consumer Reports is they don't test the better quality boutique brands like Zaino, P21S, Pinnacle, Poorboys, etc.

As for claying, it should be easy if you do it after the rinse part of the wash and use a quality lubricant. I like the Sonus brand Glyde from Autopia Car Care. Just using a cleaner wax will miss some things that clay is able to pick up. You also won't get as deep a shine since the surface won't be as smooth or clear.
Old 05-13-05, 11:49 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised I haven't heard many ppl using poorboys??? what the dilly?
Old 05-18-05, 02:20 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread got me interested, so I went out and picked up Mother's clay, Meguier's Gold Class and went to work. WOW what a difference! The car feels smooth as silk. Thanks guys!
Old 05-20-05, 07:36 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 400DGRZ
This thread got me interested, so I went out and picked up Mother's clay, Meguier's Gold Class and went to work. WOW what a difference! The car feels smooth as silk. Thanks guys!
Makes a hell of a difference when claying before polishing/waxing don't it?
I would like it if a moderator could also sticky this thread along with the caring for leather thread that has already been stickied. I think alot of people could find it usefull.
Old 05-20-05, 09:30 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yESman
The problem with Consumer Reports is they don't test the better quality boutique brands like Zaino, P21S, Pinnacle, Poorboys, etc.
True. They usually test brands that are widely available. For the same reason, they don't test drive Maserati, Bentley, or Ferrari like Car&Driver would routinely do. Lexus LS430 / BMW 7-series are as high-end as they'd go.

The jury is out on the "better quality" boutique brand. Many over-hyped wax like Meguiar and Mothers were rated so-so or poor in the test.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 05-20-05 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-20-05, 10:27 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Zaino because of the ease of use and you can reapply right after you take a coat off. But most importantly, I have yet to find anything else that gives a shine like Zaino.
Old 05-23-05, 04:37 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Default Is there any reason to use one clay brand over another?

I've used Zaino clay in the past and it works great, but for the guy that can't think in advance and order more, is there any difference between something like a Zaino clay vs. a clay that can be found at my local PepBoys or Kragen?

Just curious..
Old 05-26-05, 09:23 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to detail cars in high school and college, and I built a pretty successful mobile detailing business called "Upward Mobility" auto detailing. Eventually I got tired of cleaning other people's cars and gave it up- but I still like to clean MY car!

When it comes to car care products, believe me, I have tried them all-
the Teflon professional coatings, Zaino, Meguiar's, Eagle One, 3M, Griot's Garage...

Far and away, the best I have tried is Adam's Polishes.

Adam and I are actually childhood friends, and we would occasionally detail cars together; our specialty was black cars
From his years of auto detailing experience he developed his current product line- he even has instructional videos on his website (yep, that's Adam in the video!). He still details a number of Concours cars for high-profile clients... go Adam!.

I used Adam's "Butter Wax" again last weekend on my GS. This stuff is absolutely amazing.
And his "Revive Polish" is amazing on cars that need a little polishing first. He also offers Clay Bars, a terrrific carpet cleaner, and the ONLY dressing I will use on my dash, VRT. His stuff even smells good. It isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for .

I encourage people to check it out:

Adam's Polishes
Old 05-26-05, 09:52 AM
JDM SC4
Pole Position

OMG! you know Adam!

LOL. That's the only stuff i use on my cars.

His stuff is really good, I can vouch for that. He used to use "Der Stuff" but since then changed onto his own brand. Nice guy and EXTREMELY informative.

Quick Reply: Which waxes,polishes do you use and why?