Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Which of the following Waxes,polishes do you like the BEST and WHY?
Mothers California Carnauba Cleaner
2.58%
Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba
2.58%
Nu Finish
3.72%
Turtle Wax Finish 2001
1.72%
Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell
1.15%
Turtle Wax Emerald Series
1.72%
3M Perfect-IT Show Car Paste
1.00%
Collinite Super Doublecoat
0.14%
Collinite Marque D'Elegance
0.29%
Eagle One Wet Polish&Wax
1.00%
Gliptone Original Carnauba Paste
0%
Gliptone Platinum Series Paste
0%
Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax
25.64%
Meguiar's #16 Paste Wax
2.01%
Meguiar's #19 Cleaner/Wax
4.44%
Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech
4.44%
Meguiar's Gold Class
14.90%
Meguiar's Medallion
2.44%
The Wax Shop Super Glaze Liquid
0.57%
Blitz One Grand
0.86%
Griot's Garage Best Of Show
1.15%
Griot's Garage Carnauba Paste Wax
0.43%
Prestone Bullet Wax
0%
P21S Concours-Look Carnauba Wax
4.87%
Pinnacle Paste Glaz Carnauba
0.14%
Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba
3.30%
BlackFire
0.57%
Finish First World Class Auto Polish
0%
Klasse All-in-One & Sealant Glaze
7.16%
Liquid Glass Ultimate Auto Polish
1.72%
Zymol Carbon Carnauba
3.15%
Zymol Concours Carnauba
1.43%
Zymol Titanium Carnauba
1.29%
All Of the Zaino Wax
18.19%
others that I may have miss
14.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 698. You may not vote on this poll

Which waxes,polishes do you use and why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 11:15 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by osx-addict
I've used Zaino clay in the past and it works great, but for the guy that can't think in advance and order more, is there any difference between something like a Zaino clay vs. a clay that can be found at my local PepBoys or Kragen?

Just curious..
Didn't you start this thread?? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164325
Old 05-26-05, 01:50 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
Zaino because of the ease of use and you can reapply right after you take a coat off. But most importantly, I have yet to find anything else that gives a shine like Zaino.
Can someone post before-n-after photo of Zaino polish? Preferably on black or blue car. Thanks.
Old 05-26-05, 05:06 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Originally Posted by superpats
Yeah.. Sorry.. I put this one here first and after several days of nothingness I started the separate thread..
Old 07-01-05, 04:35 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

currently using Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Paste Wax (the one in the can)

but i'll be moving onto some "better" products,

namely Poorboy's World polishes and ClearKote waxes.

oh, for you guys wanting to clay, but not wanting to spend all that time--

Diamondite Speed Clay is quite the shizzle. it's like...whipped clay..-
Old 07-01-05, 04:48 PM
bigzip
Driver

Originally Posted by whoster

oh, for you guys wanting to clay, but not wanting to spend all that time--

Diamondite Speed Clay is quite the shizzle. it's like...whipped clay..-
That's what I'm looking for......less time. Anyone had any experience with it? Comments?
Old 07-26-05, 08:57 AM
owm
Driver School Candidate

1. Menzerna IP as a polish
2. Menzerna FP as a finishing polish
3. Klasse AIO as a chemical cleaner and surface prep
4. Zaino as LSP
5. Collinate as a wax (when I can get my hands on it )

1 and 2 applied by a Rupes DA random orbital with Lake Country pads
Old 08-27-05, 09:04 AM
ravengotu
Rookie

Talking Where to purchase

Hi everyone, Im curious to know where are you getting these, I always have thought you only get mothers and the such. Any suggestion as I live in the Sacramento area. Thanks
Old 08-27-05, 09:56 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mother's Reflections. Easy on, easy off, lasts long and smells great.
Old 08-30-05, 09:06 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

An update for me.

Applied 1Z Metallic Polish wax and topped it with the Ganz Wax on 8/04. I've done some touch-ups with the Metallic Polish Wax through the year when I've had to use some stronger cleaners for bird doo and tough big splats. Today's wash, it appears the 1Z finally gave up as it didn't bead at all. The last wash 2 weeks back it beaded nicely.

The car is garaged each night except for the few times I'm on the road/vacation. Maybe 30 days a year. Car is typically washed with Meguiar's NXT soap twice a month..more if it is really filthy. I dunno how these waxes typically age/wear off, I'm pleased with what I got out of the 1Z. YMMV.

Tried the 1Z insect cleaner and it removed a bug splat I got driving up to Oregon 2 years ago. The blood seemed to penetrate the paint on the lower portion of the bumper in the silver area. I had not been successful in getting it off with the mild cleaner wax I had on hand. After spraying it and letting it soak a minute or two, it wiped right off.

Last edited by RA40; 08-30-05 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-04-06, 10:36 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I tend to like the Zymol. It goes on easy and comes off real nice as well. I also like to use Mothers once in a while. Like the whole clay bar thing.

Here is a pic of my 8 year old cars hood this year.. I think it looks great for the original paint.
Old 01-04-06, 10:41 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

The best stripping soap is Dawn
The best washing/prep soap is Sonus
The best cheap soap is Blue Coral
The best easily found anywhere soap is NXT
The best polishes are Meg's Diamond cut 2.0 (DC2), and Dual Action - Cleaner Polish (DACP).
The best Synthetic wax is Klasse's All In One (AIO), and Sealant Glaze(SG)
The best glaze is Clearkote's Vanilla Moose (VM)
The best Carnauba waxes are Clearkote's Carnauba Moose (CM). PS21/S100 also get an honorable mention.
The best Quick Detailer is Clearkote's Quickshine. (QS)

Klasse is the longest lasting synthetic wax (It's the only/one of very few acrylic waxes), is easy to work with applying the wip one wip off method, and a little bit goes a very long way.
It also has the sole distinction of being the only synthetic wax that can go from a traditional reflective wax, to a deep wax - approaching what the best carnauba waxes can - as you layer 2+ coats of SG ontop of AIO.
I don't think there is a better general purpose, or more useful wax that Klasse.

Vanilla Moose is an extremely slick petroleum glaze that gives the prep for a very deep, wet look.
Carnauba Moose is my favorite wax by far. You won't find a deeper, wetter wax. It is a liquid, and very easy to use. Unlike most carnaubas, you CAN use CM in full sun as long as you take it off immediately.
PS21/S100 deserve honorable mention because they are easy to use paste waxes that look equal to CM, but are more expencive, and don't get the results CM can under wider conditions.
Old 01-06-06, 03:43 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

It's impossible to say there is a "best" of any class of detailing product. "The best" depends on the car, it's paint, the paints condition, whether its dark or light, whether it's metallic or not, the expectations of the owner of the car, whether they like the carnauba look, whether they mind frequent re-application of low durabilty lsp's, the amount of time and money they are willing to put into it. You get the idea. There is no "best" soap, polish, wax, sealant, qd, spray on, dressing, cleaner, etc... there is just the right tool for the job.

That said, using dawn infrequently is ok, but it can be bad for your paint if used often and it actually doesn't do that great a job of stipping some waxes/sealants. I've had much better luck using the tried and true isa:water wipedown.

Cheers.

Last edited by picus; 01-06-06 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-06-06, 10:18 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I agree with your first statement, but why is Dawn bad for your paint? Is it really worse than car wash soap? What is the effect on the paint? Clue me in.
I've found that using Dawn to get the paint REALLY clean before waxing (Zaino) seems to be better than using car wash soap and leaving a bunch of crap in or on the paint, regardless of how often I use it.
Old 01-07-06, 10:20 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Heya - using automotive soap to remove waxes/sealants usually doesn't work - they're designed not to remove them, but to clean over them. Most of them are just high lubricity soaps that are very light duty and are just designed to lift dirt off the surface of the paint so you can wipe it off.

Dawn is different - there is a misconception that it will dry out paint, it won't, but that isn't why most people don't use it. The reason it's not very popular at say, Autopia, is because it won't remove all waxes and because it can dry out rubber trim, I should have been more specific when I said "bad for your paint". You're much better off just using rubbing alcohol and water, or if you have them, a paint cleanser/polish. Dawn is fine in moderation, just be aware that there are a lot of waxes/sealants it won't remove, and it can dry out trim. Zaino recommends it before using their sealants, but not for washing the car regularly - Sal's a smart guy, so I'd say that's good advice.

The whole dawn wash thing has been hashed and re-hashed at Autopia. Here's a good thread.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53715&

As you can see most folks agree it's relatively harmless, but probably isn't the best way to remove old wax/sealants.

Cheers.
Old 01-07-06, 12:11 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks. SO what's the right mix of rubbing alcohol & water? And do you use 70% or 91%, as this would change the ratio.

Quick Reply: Which waxes,polishes do you use and why?