Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Heavy duty summer cleanin baby!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-01, 11:59 PM
Francis K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Okay, it's summertime baby! It's time to shine up that Lex, full blown in and out. But first, of course, I NEED HELP! With cleaning my car that is. Okay, I'm kinda goin on a Meguairs theme here. This is what I've got...

-Leather
Bought some Lexol that everyone was talkin about (will this stuff dry my leather eventually like all that other junk I used?)

-Carpet
Bought some Turtle Wax stuff in a can with a brush on top of it, seeing how I don't have a wet vac or anything I felt this would be the best way to go (any suggestions or comments?)

-Dash/Controls
Well we've got a couple bottles or armorall at my store and it's so damn popular I figured it had to be for a reason and I plan on using that (any suggestions or comments?)

-Wheels
I've got the stock LX450 wheels with the painted center caps, the wheels are aluminum polished alloy. Anyone know what I can use that will give the best results and not strip the paint off my center caps like my other set?

-Body!
Okay okay, here we go...
Should I use dish soap and strip all the wax before I clay, what precedures should i use before I clay, is meguairs "Clay magic" any good I got a lot of junk and stains in my paint and I hear clay will alleviate some of this? This is the stuff I plan to use..
*Dish soap strip wax? (yes or no)
*Wash with Meguairs Gold Class Car Wash
*Clean with Meguairs Gold Class Clear Coat prep and swirl reducer
*Polish with Meguairs Deep Crystal System Polish
*Wax With Meguairs Gold Class Wax (what's better, Liquid or paste?)

Okay, where should i fit in the clay bar?

I bought a pack of 12 Terry Towels, should I invest in a California Water Blade how about a wheel brush, anything else? My car is kinda big and drying it is gonna be difficult!

Okay, I'm sorry this is so long and I've asked for so much advice on waxing and junk that it must be getting very annoying but tommarrow i am going to work on my car and when i'm done it's ClebLex gallery time and big pimpin time baby! Anything you can post, tips, tricks or whatever I would appreciate greatly!

Thanks again!

-Francis

Last edited by Francis K; 08-31-08 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-19-01, 10:15 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default Oh yea, one more thing

How do I go about cleanin out the engine bay without duing any damage?

Oh and what do you guys use/do to dry your car?

Thanks!

Last edited by Francis K; 05-19-01 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-20-01, 08:19 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Cleaning stuff

Hey Francis!

FWIW – the “famous” Zaino Bros. suggest using Dawn dishwashing liquid to strip the car before claying. It has got to be easier than using bar soap?? I just clayed my “antique” and went the whole Zaino route (many steps) and it looks fantastic! The thing is, my partner asked the other day – if I’d have gone through all of the steps with some other brand would it have looked just as good? Honestly don’t know – sounds like the Meguairs multi-step process is similar to Zainos – let us know how it turns out.

You’ve probably read all the other postings about waxes, etc. so you know how many different opinions there are. I just switched from Meguairs to Zaino – but can’t honestly say if I’d put as much effort into the Meguairs multi-step, what the difference (if any) would be. Do have to say my car’s never looked better (even when new)!

Another subject – there was a good discussion on glass cleaners too recently – I’ve tried a lot of those too – none worked very well – I went to Wal-mart to get some Clearview (Turtle Wax) – supposed to be the best – my store didn’t carry it but did get an Armorall (no ammonia) product and it did clean the interior windows much better than anything else I tried so far.

I’ve also tried the Lexol leather conditioner – as well as several others – hard for me to see a noticeable difference between them.

I’ve used Armorall and it works well – again, I’ve used several and aside from the gloss level, haven’t noticed a major difference either.

There'll be a white glove inspection next weekend!
Old 05-20-01, 08:54 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!!

DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!!!

Been sunny all weekend, that's a bad thing for waxing your car! God knows if I'll have time to do it during the week!

Just bought a "Simoniz mini detailers system brush" I needed a brush thing so this looked good.

Garnet, thenks for the reply man, I thought everyone just didn't care about Big Poppa Frank...
Old 05-21-01, 12:19 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Now it's raining all weeeekkk!!!

I must have upset the Lexus gods somehow
Old 05-21-01, 06:29 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crummy Weather

Francis:
Sorry about the weather man - I'll try a rain-shuffle for you (too tired to dance) - that's a reverse shuffle (to stop the rain - got to shuffle backwards)
Old 05-21-01, 07:44 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Yea!

Thanks Garnet, and make a sacrifice of a Ford or somthing to Lexus gods in my honor with that SC of yours!
Old 05-23-01, 09:38 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Still rainin!

It's almost the weekend and my car is still dirty! Poor, poor lexi, she's so good to me, what has she ever done to deserve this...
Old 05-25-01, 04:00 PM
RC Kola

Default Magna Shield

Anyone here paid Lex dealer for the Magna treatment. I've paid a bundle and not sure if I got rip "big time." Supposedly they claim resitant to oxidation, no need for monthly wax etc..........

thanx,
RC
Old 05-25-01, 08:09 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Wait a minute?!?!

What is the magna treatment, did you get it done? How is it?