Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

tips for keeping Suede clean..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-05, 08:10 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default tips for keeping Suede clean..

hey guys, any tips on what products to use and how to use them for keeping suede soft and clean. also what about if you stain or dirty suede what can be done to help prevent this. are there certain clothings that are really bad for suede that i should know of so i put something on the seat before i sit down? just want some tips before i get my car back next week and sit in it. its ultra suede by the way incase that has different cleaning management.
Old 01-29-05, 12:15 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Suede isn't easy, it will wear and need to be replaced every few years-no way around it, because it does compact with body weight, but you can keep it in the best possible condition with routine maintenance. Avoid wearing shorts if you can, because sweat can make suede retain the oils from your body, and cause it to have a flatter, greasier patina.

Also, bear in mind that most all the mass produced cars with what appears to be suede is actually a synthetic suede called "Alcantara". No shame there, it's really a better wearing and easier to care for product than natural suede, which is extremely fussy. You can use the same approach here for either though, FWIW, because it won't hurt either.

A 'suede brush' is something to get if you don't already have one. As for a product you can use on it, Kiwi sells a product called " 'Kiwi' suede and nubuck spray". I have some but use it rarely since I don't come across that many suede interiors.

Brush the seats directionally, then at a perpindicular angle too. Always vacuume the seats after you brush them.

Last thing to do is use Scotchgard or 303 Fabric Protector, to guard against spills and stains. That's a must really. Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 01-29-05 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-29-05, 05:15 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

right the shop doing my car actually told me a lot of people use "alcantera" suede cuz its cheaper (yet more durable) but that he doen't use it unless asked for. he showed me the book from which he ordered the suede and when it came in i went to see it and it said Ultra Suede. so is this a little harder to keep clean as to "alcantera" man should i have gone with alcantera instead? he made it seem to me like alcantera is fake and that ultra was the way to go for quality and name.

thanx for the info on the brush and and kiwi product, the guy had mentioned to me about keeping it all directional, he's very **** and actually ordered more ft. of suede cuz he wants everything that being done in suede to go in the same direction. he says it looks better that way. i hope so. cost me a litle more to get more ft. 2nd thing is where could i find some of this kiwi product you had mentioned?
Old 01-29-05, 06:36 PM
Guitarman

I picked up the 'directional then opposite direction' from an upholsterer years ago, so I don't know if it's better or worse than just brushing in a single direction.

The Kiwi product can be found at *most* leather shops, even shoe retailers carry it generally. Says here that even Walgreens carrys it;

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...ump&navCount=1

I think your choice of real suede is totally up to you. I think it comes down to whether or not it matters to you to be able to say you have the "real thing" since your car is truly show worthy, I can see where that's an important factor. For the general public, Alcantara is usually a better choice, from a maintenance point of view, because the average Joe tends to let things go, maintenance -wise, and the synthetic is more forgiving to lack of care.

You shouldn't have to worry about that since you look after things better than most out there.
Old 01-29-05, 08:41 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I get this stuff from a store called Journeys in the Northeast Mall nearby. its a shoe/novelty store...anyways, it protects suede. i am reading this right off the bottle:

Journeys Water and Stain Repllant.

Protects Suede, Nubbuck, Fine Leather, Fabrics, Nylon and ohter materials from water stans and stain causing agents.

i can pick some up for you. the bottle is 8 Fluid OZ and costs $6 a bottle. i can ship to you and you can reimburse. no profit...PM me if intersted. unless of course, you have a Journey's store near you.
Old 01-30-05, 10:13 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

thanx guys, i in no way meant to call "alcantera" fake or anything like that, its just how the guy said it to me that made me decide to go with the Ultra. but than again for show purposes it might matter but i meant no disrespect in how i said it...

i wanted to ask about the scotch guard, the guy told me not use it cus something about the softness or color, i can't remember what exactly he said but he said something to that extent. mayb you guys could elaborate on what it does to real suede,?
Old 01-30-05, 01:18 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

hey, i have abottle of the stuff i mentioned above, if you woudl like to try it, PM me with your adress, i will send it to you.
Old 01-30-05, 04:45 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
hey, i have abottle of the stuff i mentioned above, if you woudl like to try it, PM me with your adress, i will send it to you.
thats sounds great, i was going to pm for that bottle you mentioned. i won't have the car back for about another week so i'll try that stuf than...
Old 01-30-05, 06:46 PM
Guitarman

i wanted to ask about the scotch guard, the guy told me not use it cus something about the softness or color, i can't remember what exactly he said but he said something to that extent. mayb you guys could elaborate on what it does to real suede,?
Never heard of a problem Scotchgarding suede, in fact it's recommended by many leather/suede manufacturers and suppliers, and many suede products are sold with it already ON the material;

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...on+suede&hl=en

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc...ther_map.jhtml

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc...ther_map.jhtml

Not saying he's wrong, but if he's worried about the "color fastness" of the product on his suede then maybe he knows something we don't, about the particular suede he's using. (?).
Old 02-05-05, 02:14 PM
Zor Prime
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you realize that ultra suede=Alcantara... Alcantara is an italian company that makes ultra suede..ie a popular brand name that has now come to mean ultra suede...like calling nitrous..NOS which is a company. I hope they are not charging you extra..for the ultra suede over Alcantara
definition:
Alcantara (Ultra Suede) is an extremely durable and cleanable man-made suede-like material.

Last edited by Zor Prime; 02-05-05 at 02:17 PM.