Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New paint - no waxing for how long?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05 | 05:48 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Default New paint - no waxing for how long?

I've got a couple questions. I haven't really done any detailing so i'm kind of a noob when it comes to it.

I am about to get a new paint job.. within the next month.
Now i've heard that I shouldn't wax my car right after it gets painted, and wait a couple of months. I am not concerned about waxing my car.. because it will already look shiny and new once it comes out of the shop.. I am just curious.

Also, does anybody know what the best cleaner/polisher is for polished wheels? I didn't find anything in the automotive care & detailing.. but i'm sure there is something in the tire / wheel section so I will check there after i'm done typing this.
Old 02-10-05 | 07:31 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Zoop Seal for the wheels. do a search on

www.Froogle.com

as for the paint, i wouldnt wax it for 3 weeks. maybe a month. but its best to ask your shop.
Old 02-11-05 | 05:55 AM
jfelbab

Meguiar's Speed Glaze (#80) is safe for use on new paint. It leaves a breathable polymer on the surface but it doesn't last very long. It does protect the new paint and the polish keeps it clean and smooth.

I like the look and durability of NXT metal polish on aluminum wheels. It contains a polymer sealant which holds up well to the heat extremes that your wheels encounter. NXT also seems to shed brake dust very easily.
Old 02-11-05 | 05:18 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

you should ask the guy/company painting your car how long you have to wait before painting and waxing your car. they should know best.
Old 02-11-05 | 07:20 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

i also want to know what could be used i got my front end repainted and wanted to kow what to do after i wash it. like what is safe to apply? is NXT quick wax ok? or mayb just the maguires detail spray?
Old 02-11-05 | 09:46 PM
Guitarman

i also want to know what could be used i got my front end repainted and wanted to kow what to do after i wash it. like what is safe to apply? is NXT quick wax ok? or mayb just the maguires detail spray?
As Jim mentioned, a hand glaze such as Meguiar's #80, or 3M Imperial Hand glaze are safe for fresh paint. They will wash away pretty fast, but they're better than nothing, and offer *some* protection as well as increase shine and hide swirls as well.

Yes, you can use a quick detailer too, but avoid any that contain wax for a while. Zaino Z6, or Meguiar's Final Inspection are a couple quick detailers that contain zero wax. Cheers.