Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What body shop and paint should i use??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05 | 05:18 PM
ThuAnswr3
Driver School Candidate

Default What body shop and paint should i use??

Sad news, my SC400 got backed into. Im pissed, but at least it wasnt my fault! My sisters friend back up and scraped the front bumper, right quarter panel and just edged the passenger door. It will be nice to have new front end paint, but my car is PEARL WHITE.
What place does the BEST work on pearl paint jobs......Any brand names of paints that i should keep my ears open for? I want to make sure this job is done RIGHT and that it looks good. Any ideas will be much appreciated!
Old 02-25-05 | 07:36 PM
Guitarman

I can't help with referrals in Oregon, but I can give you a couple tips.

First, make sure the shop is I-Car certified. More on that here; http://www.i-car.com/html_pages/abou...-car_faqs.html

Secondly, view their work BEFORE you leave them your car. Pearls aren't easy, but good shops have done them 1000 times and know the ins and outs.

Get the warranty in writing, and read what it implies, if there's anything nebulous, have them explain it. Make it plain that you expect a perfect match with the existing paint. Quality shops will sometimes spray 2x, 3x till they "get it right", if need be. You need to tell them up front you're picky and then they will know your expectations.

Shop around. Visit 3-4 shops that specialize in high-end vehicles. Suffice it to say, you want to avoid the "econo" paint and body places. You get what you pay for.

Ask what brand paint line they use for their clears. You don't want a budget clear on a Lexus. DuPont Chroma, and Spies Hecker 8000 series are a couple , PPG, Glasurit , Sikkens BASF are a few other names to bear in mind, as long as it's their top shelf line.
Best of luck!