Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Waxing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 07:17 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Waxing Questions

I have a couple of waxing questions for you guys . First off , Are microfiber Towels used only for waxing or can they be used for drying cars as well. Is it o.k. to use a regular cotton towel for drying? What is the difference between using liquid wax over paste wax? Should applicator pads be reused after waxing once or discarded? Is soap and water the best way to clean the applicator pads? What cause swirl marks and how can I get rid of them? What is the best Leather cleaner to use for Lexus Leather? I have used Duragloss Leather Cleaner and Conditioner but want to try something new. What is the best cleaner for the dash and plastics inside the car? Is meguiars NXT Tech wax the best value on the market? That's all I can think of for now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-01-05, 06:23 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by vinster29
I have a couple of waxing questions for you guys . First off , Are microfiber Towels used only for waxing or can they be used for drying cars as well. Is it o.k. to use a regular cotton towel for drying? What is the difference between using liquid wax over paste wax? Should applicator pads be reused after waxing once or discarded? Is soap and water the best way to clean the applicator pads? What cause swirl marks and how can I get rid of them? What is the best Leather cleaner to use for Lexus Leather? I have used Duragloss Leather Cleaner and Conditioner but want to try something new. What is the best cleaner for the dash and plastics inside the car? Is meguiars NXT Tech wax the best value on the market? That's all I can think of for now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Have a couple questions? Here is what I do.

I use microfiber towels for both wax and polish removal as well as water removal. I use a waffle weave MF for water removal. Be sure to buy good quality MF towels and if they have labels attached, cut them off or they could scratch the paint.. I used to use regular 100% cotton towels but they don't absorb nearly as much water as a MF does. They are also more prone to scratch your paint.

There is little difference between the liquid and paste waxes. I like liquid as I usually apply with my Porter-Cable. Liquid is easier to get on the pads of the orbital polisher.

Wash your pads in soap and water. They wash up well.

Swirl marks are caused by some abrasive contact with the paint. This is often caused by how you wash your car. I use a two bucket method. One bucket of clear water with a grit guard for rinsing my sheepskin wash mitt and the other bucket for soapy water. Use a good car wash soap and never any dishwashing soap. Car wash soap has higher lubricity. Replace your wash mitt a couple times a year or more often if it gets dirty. Use the old mitts for wheels. Load your mitt up with suds and wash a panel or two and then rinse the mitt in the rinse bucket. Load it up with soapy water and repeat until the car is clean.

The best leather cleaner I have used is that sold by Lexus dealers. Also very good is the Lexol products.

For cleaning the dash and vinyl inside the car I like Meguiar's #39. For conditioning I use Meguiar's #40. You end up with a look that resembles new, not high gloss, which is perfect for the dash.

I think NXT Tech Wax is the best value in the market. I apply two coats, 24 hours apart, and then follow up with Meguiar's NXT Booster Wax about once a month. The car always looks and feels freshly detailed. The best advice here is to apply very, very thin coats.