Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What about a new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05 | 08:25 PM
Sportbiker

Question What about a new car

OK, so I read most of this section and even used many of the techniques on my older vehicles, but what about the new car?

When I got my 98 GS new, I did nothing but send it to the wash once a week and a monthly wax. Yeah... I was lazy, but overall, it was fine.

Now my 06 GS has me inspired again. So, what should I do to protect it and maintain it?
Old 03-08-05 | 08:57 AM
Guitarman

1. Clay it (rail dust is common on new cars)

2. Use a fine polish for the most visual "pop" and to quell swirls.

3. Protect with a polymer sealant (they hold up best to the hotter temps coming soon).

4. Add a carnauba wax on top of the sealant (*optional)

5. Use a quick detailer for dust in between washes.

Stand back and enjoy the new ride!.
Old 03-09-05 | 01:38 AM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

When you say

use Add a carnauba wax on top of the sealant (*optional) Does that go for the people that use the Zaino stuff. Or does Zaino have there own kind.

Another words Zaino & Carnauba would make it pop a bit more then just Zaino right?
Old 03-09-05 | 06:22 AM
Guitarman

Zaino doesn't have a carnauba wax, but you can use ANY other brand you like over top of it.

Only caveat is that in order to layer more Zaino, you'll have to either wait till the carnauba wax wears off ( a few weeks generally- faster in the summer) or wash the car with an alkaline soap such as Dawn.
Old 03-09-05 | 12:45 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

So when you use Zaino its pretty much not worth it?
Old 03-09-05 | 05:31 PM
Guitarman

So when you use Zaino its pretty much not worth it?
Some feel that way, others do not. I topped my other Zaino'ed car ( Ford SuperCoupe) with Pinnacle Souveran, and honestly, neither I nor others could tell a difference. The car is black. Your results may depend on your car color, and other factors.

Some report good results though, so it's always worth a try IMO.
Old 03-10-05 | 01:18 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Ya MY CAR IS pearl white 01+ white any tricks for doing up lighter color cars? Also whats the best Chrome/Tire/ cleaner polish.

Another thing is what do you polish the wheater striping ( Rubber stuff around doors & moon roof) with I know you cant use armor all because its drys up the rubber.
Old 03-10-05 | 07:16 PM
Guitarman

I think you'll like Zaino on white, I do. If you want something a bit quicker with some (very slight )cleaning ability, try Meguiar's NXT or Klasee All-In-One.

For chrome, any name brand chrome polish is great. You should apply your sealant of choice on them as well, after cleaning.

For cleaning tires I prefer just to clean them with car shampoo, because anything too strong (acid or alkaline) will often create more "blooming" and the subsequent tire browning.That's my experience anyway. Some tire brands are worse than others when it comes to that.

If you do use a concentrated cleaner (i.e. Simple Green etc.) just dilute it for use on tires and rims.
Old 03-11-05 | 01:20 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

IC About the Zaino polish apply that before or after the chrome cleaner?
Old 03-11-05 | 03:39 PM
Guitarman

After.

It will help add a layer of polymer protection to your wheels and make cleaning them easier.

If you want an easier to obtain product that will do similar, look for Meguiar's NXT, available just about everywhere.
Old 03-11-05 | 07:17 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

LoL are you sponsered by Meguiar's NXT hehehe my Zaino basket just got here I'll be trying it out tommrow

Thanks for the help