Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino Swirl Option

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-01, 08:36 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Zaino Alternative

While I remain a Zaino fan, sometimes the waiting period gets to me. My son wanted to use my Z-5 but was turned off by that waiting time so he bought some of the new Turtle Wax Color Cure to work on the swirls/scratches on his dark green car. I must admit that I was impressed!!:eek: Before Zaino, I used Meguiars for swirls & thought it was OK but inferior to the Zaino Z-5, especially multiple coats. However, this Color Cure would now be my #2 choice behind Zaino. Just something to consider for those who we haven't converted to Zaino ( but we'll getcha yet!! ).
Old 06-16-01, 08:56 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino Z5

I guess we here in Hawaii don't have to deal with the drying time as much. Just remove the Zaino right after you finish putting it on.

My experience with Z-5 for swirl marks was remarkable. After two applications, couldn't even see the swirl marks at night while staring at a reflection of a light bulb!
Old 06-17-01, 12:59 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Default Re: Zaino Alternative

Originally posted by Mean Gene
While I remain a Zaino fan, sometimes the waiting period gets to me. My son wanted to use my Z-5 but was turned off by that waiting time so he bought some of the new Turtle Wax Color Cure ...
thanks Mean Gene.
I guess I am more like your son... Lazy and have a dark green car. LOL.
I will look for that green turtle wax.
Old 07-05-01, 07:05 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the heads up Gene...I hate the waiting periods too, but thats why I normally keep it as a weekend job leaving the wax over night...etc
Old 07-05-01, 09:29 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Default Hey Gene

MeanGene,

Did he use anything else beside the ColorCure, or is it an all-in-one package? I picked some black ColorCure up a few days ago and plan on trying after I get my body work done.

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. Did you get my check yet?
Old 07-06-01, 11:47 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy Brian - I'm Slow!!

Brian - Meant to give ya a shout back about the check. I got it last week & think the deal we had about splitting the costs of the new harness plus the shipping worked out perfectly!! I knew U were good for it & hope your parents enjoy the Bazooka! The Color Cure is, as best I can tell, just a color-keyed swirl remover/polish. I think Turtle Wax has about 8-10 different color ranges so just pick the closest one to your color. I'd still follow it up with a coat or 2 of wax for extra protection. I know Sal Zaino doesn't think much of colored products ( & neither do I, for the most part ) but this stuff is light years ahead of the first generation colored polishes/waxes. One warning - might consider wearing a pair of rubber gloves - I helped my son do his & my hands looked like Shrek for a few dayz!!:eek:
Old 07-06-01, 11:04 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Gene,

Good to hear you got the dough.

How are the shine characteristics? Basically, I'm looking for a cheap, lazy way to protect my paint without spending days getting a perfect finish.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 07-07-01, 05:32 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Ain't Zaino

Brian - The shine factor is more a function of the wax than the Color Cure. The Cure shines things up OK but the top coat of wax is what brings the shine to life. Have an E-beam into Turtle Wax about the CC - is it a polish or like Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax? Will letcha know!
Old 07-09-01, 01:12 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Cool Color Cure Info

Heard from Turtle Wax today & they said that Color Cure is designed to be a polish/swirl remover & not a finishing wax product. It does, however, have a blend of polyurethane in it that will offer some protection but not the shine of wax. They recommend a final coat of a pure wax to bring out the shine but said that CC would stand up to the elements for those who decide not to do the wax step. Personally ( but I'm a Zaino man ), I'd finish things up with the wax.
Old 07-09-01, 10:37 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Cool, thanks for the info Gene. What kind of wax would you recommend? I've got Meguirs gold class lying around and Zymol. I figure the Zymol would be bad since it's a cleaner wax. I'm not sure about the Meguirs (except the paste was hard to remove). I guess if I put too much effort into the ColorCure option, it would negate the intentions of laziness.

Brian
Old 07-10-01, 04:56 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Meguairs

Brian - Well, before I converted to Zaino, I was also a user of the Meguairs Gold Class product line. But even then, I found myself using the Meguairs cleaner/wax once a month or so to remove some of the water spots which had etched into the paint. Little disturbing to see a black application pad after using it though!!:eek: Though the initial application of Zaino's a long & drawn out process, the subsequent usage is alot faster & easier. Might consider trying Zaino - can always go back to conventional products if U're not happy. BTW - didn't realize that Zymol was a cleaner/wax also ( used it before on my S-10 - great shine but not very long lasting ).
Old 07-10-01, 09:17 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Alright. Alright! I'm getting some Zainos!

Brian
Old 07-11-01, 11:23 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Where do you get This stuff?? been LooKING!!!:eek:
Old 07-12-01, 05:15 AM
Jack

Order form available at www.zainobros.com. Orders accepted by mail only, but good fast service. You won't be disappointed with the results.
Old 07-21-01, 05:33 AM
claymax
Driver School Candidate

Default Zaino

Yep, Zaino, zaino, zaino.

Here in the South Plains, it's dry enough that I don't have to wait very long to remove the Z-5 or Z-2. Add to that that once you rub it lightly, it comes off completely, no haze or white residue left behind. I stripped off the old wax, clay bar'd it and then put 3 coats of z-5 and two of Z-2. The guy I bought it from asked me where I had it detailed. It glows. Now I just wash it once a week, and use the gloss enhancer afterwards and the deep gloss comes back. A coat of z-2 once a month or every other month keeps it like new.

Other Zaino products.
- Leather cleaner and conditioner. The leather in my 92 sc400 was pretty dark (dirty) for tan leather. I used the Cleaner then the Leather in a Bottle products. My leather lightened two shades and looks like new except for the wear. Add to that, the smell makes it smell like new leather.
- Tire dressing. It goes on the same as everything else out there, but mine stays deep black for about two weeks or more. (Weather has been over 99 degrees for the last two weeks.)

Final word on Sal Zaino's service. He will be successful as he supplies great products at a fair price and gives fast helpful responses to all questions. Can't go wrong with Zaino.

Quick Reply: Zaino Swirl Option