Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Mcguires---paste or liquid???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 01:33 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mcguires---paste or liquid???

I went out shopping for carwax this weekend....and decided to go with the mcguires gold class wax.

but was wondering what you guys thaught of the paste VS. the liquid?

I've used liquid wax before and know it's easy to use........but I'm wondering would the paste be better on a black car since there is more elbow grease involved?
Old 03-28-05, 04:31 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to use paste by hand, Pinnacle Souveran or Meguairs #16 are my 2 choices.
Old 03-28-05, 09:50 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Paste wax provides the best results, but liquid wax is a lot easier to apply.

I agree with Scruffdogg's choice of #16 That's a very good carnuba wax. I'm going to apply it to my car tomorrow. I've already applied two coats of Klass All-In-One and three coats of Poorboy's Ex-p.
Old 03-29-05, 09:06 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

what do you mean with all those coats...?

I usually wax once....am I suppose to wax over and over again for better results?

is the #16 better than gold class paste? I think I'm gonna go with paste
Old 03-29-05, 10:03 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I'm just a detailing fanatic, hence the many coats of different products. If all you want is some protection, gold class is fine. Just be sure when you apply it you use multiple (three to four) thin coats instead of one or two thick coats because the wax will be harder to remove if it's too thick and it won't cure (dry) properly. Three to four thin coats would be enough to ensure proper coverage and protection.

If you really want to make your car look like new, you should:

1) wash;
2) clay (to remove surface contaminants like sap);
3) polish (to remove spider webs & swirlmarks.);
4) seal it with an acrilic (e.g. Klass All In One);
5) apply polymer wax (e.g. Poorboy's Ex-p);
6) apply carnuba wax (e.g. #16).

Some people use other products, but from my reading the ones I chose work really well with silver paint. You can find a lot more information at this website http://autopia.org/kb/
Old 03-29-05, 01:20 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

thanks
Old 04-03-05, 08:09 PM
gs430jw
Pole Position

GATO use the Paste. This is what it looks like on black

Last edited by gs430jw; 04-03-05 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-03-05, 10:55 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GATO
I went out shopping for carwax this weekend....and decided to go with the mcguires gold class wax.

I've used liquid wax before and know it's easy to use........but I'm wondering would the paste be better on a black car since there is more elbow grease involved?
Paste is generally more likely to scratch or haze. I'd use liquid on black cars. The downside of liquid is that it's less durable so you'll have to wax more often.

Consumer Reports wax test results in 2000- Meguiar's Gold Class liquid (they didn't test paste, 5 is best)
Gloss = 4 Durability = 2 Cleaning = 3 Ease of use =4 Scratching/Hazing = 5

A very good wax if you're willing to wax more often. FWIW: Zymol is the top rated wax and it's what I use (for a white RX300.)
Old 04-04-05, 07:20 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use Meguiar's liquid because it is easier to apply to the pads on my Porter-Cable DA Buffer. I prefer to use NXT Tech Wax for a stunning deep wet look. NXT, a polymer sealant, protects better than a Carnauba. For any who are looking for Meguiar's #16 (Professional Hand Wax) it has been discontinued after a 50 year run due to the VOC regulations imposed by the government.
Old 04-04-05, 01:38 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Paste is generally more likely to scratch or haze. I'd use liquid on black cars. The downside of liquid is that it's less durable so you'll have to wax more often.

Consumer Reports wax test results in 2000- Meguiar's Gold Class liquid (they didn't test paste, 5 is best)
Gloss = 4 Durability = 2 Cleaning = 3 Ease of use =4 Scratching/Hazing = 5

A very good wax if you're willing to wax more often. FWIW: Zymol is the top rated wax and it's what I use (for a white RX300.)
I currently own 2 black vehicles that see nothing but paste wax, Souveran or #16 and I have never seen scratching or hazing, I would question the application process if someone is scratching their car from using paste wax.
Old 04-04-05, 03:33 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on the CR review, some paste wax/polish are more abrasive than others. Thus the scratching/hazing. Some liquid wax are also found to be scratchy.

Also hair line scratches and haze are not always noticeable until the wax totally wears out. Let your wax wear out and see what it looks like. If the owner is willing to wax on a regular basis, this may be a non-issue.

I am a lazy bum, so I have a white RX. I only wax the front end, hood, and side mirrors once every 3 months. I am as lazy as it gets. Fortunately it's garage-kept and I have covered parking at work. My bottle of Zymol is still half full (or half empty.)

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 04-04-05 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-04-05, 04:05 PM
lexite
Driver

Originally Posted by GATO

Unless you are hooked on to Meguiars gold class, I would suggest P21S or S100 carnauba paste wax. In my experience it is very very easy on and easy off paste wax leaving a beautiful shine and depth. S100 should be available at your local Harley Davidson store. Costs about $15, and a can goes a long way. I usually use it to top off polymer based polish/sealant.

It is so easy that I have stopped using quick detail that I used to use in Zymol days after every car wash.