Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do I clean my seatbelts??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-05, 02:07 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I clean my seatbelts??

I don't know WHAT the lady who owned this car before me did in it but the front driver's side seatbelt is almost black with dirt. I keep thinking, "If Lexus can't get them clean before reselling, they probably have to be replaced."

It's disgusting to the point that I can't take it any more! Any help and info will help! I don't want to remove them if possible because I don' tknow how to get them back on....safely.
Old 04-02-05, 03:59 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Soap and water does not work? Soft scrub (no bleach)? Mr Clean magic eraser gets out all kinds of stuff too.

Please try it on a not plainly visible section first. I've used all 3 methods on many parts of the car. I just don't want it to just happen to mess up your interior.
Old 04-02-05, 05:21 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try simple green and brush and a rag.
Old 04-02-05, 08:47 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! I think I'll try the Soft Soap. I was going to get some for the interior anyway. I'll have to take before and after photos so you can see that I am not exagerating.
Old 04-02-05, 10:23 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use anything but solvent type cleaners, and as mentioned , no bleach either. Both can break the material down and you don't want to risk them ripping / not working in the event of an accident.

Woolite & water is another alternative, but I've found once serious dirt gets into them, any mild water based cleaner like that won't take it out very well. When that's the case, you have to either live with it or replace the seatbelts.
Old 04-02-05, 04:04 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,110 Likes on 997 Posts

After treatment make sure the belt is dry before it retracts.

I guess due to liability issue the dealer will not touch the belt .. other than replace it.

Salim
Old 04-02-05, 06:36 PM
Shogun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet Cleaner

I've always used carpet clearner and it seems to do a great job.

Currently, I use some Woolight brand with OxyClean (blue bottle). I saturate the spot, let it sit and run with a cloth. It works pretty well.

Goo luck,
Eric
Old 04-02-05, 09:37 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful with the Oxy products, because the active chemical in them is an oxygenated ( color safe) bleach and slightly corrosive.

I can't tell you they're actually breaking down the material in the seatbelt, because I truly don't know, but...if you want to be on the safe side in the event of a collision, anything even slightly corrosive should be avoided.

There's the rub ; I can think of many products that would clean the material great, but most would do as much harm to them as good. Cheers all,

Last edited by Guitarman; 04-03-05 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-03-05, 07:36 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try Simple Green too, I think it is noncorrosive but check. I even use it on my GARAGE FLOOR to remove grease and dirt and it works great - I put it on and let it soak a bit and scrub it in.