Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need help with leather... (cracks / repair)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-05, 04:44 PM
Philly RX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with leather... (cracks / repair)

I noticed very small cracks in my passenger seat leather and want to use some kind of leather "paint" to cover them.
Can someone tell me if they used anything like that on their RX with light leather and if yes what product brand you used .
Thanks.
Old 04-06-05, 09:26 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are vinyl repair kits available at hardware stores. You can use those paste to fill up the cracks.

You should use a leather conditioner. I use Turtle Wax's Emerald. It's cheap and has UV protection. Apply once every 3 months. More often on the front seats if you want to.

Also avoid letting sunlight through the windshield. I always park face away from the sun. Or use a windshield cover.
Old 04-07-05, 04:27 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Philly, which car and year have you? Try a signature here. Is it a crack or a dirty groove - I have some of those that need a good cleaning.
Old 04-07-05, 08:28 PM
Philly RX
Rookie

Its is actually a really small, tiny like a spider veb leather cracks which is even more noticable when the leather is wet from the cleaner.
I need some leather repair thing which hopefully will mach the colour of my seats and its only for the small portion of the seat...
Any ideas about the product brands and stores or places where I can get it?
Thanks.

P.S its White 2002 RX300
Old 04-18-05, 01:35 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 315 Likes on 274 Posts

Very common with Lexus/Toyota leather. Lexus replaced the seat covers in my RX300 at ~50k because it was getting real bad. But it took several visits and the run around before they finally agreed (I Had to take my 10 year old BMW with 120k and perfect leather to convince them it wasn't "something I was putting on the seats").

Try www.leatherique.com for some treatments/repair options if it really bothers you.
Old 04-18-05, 02:09 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Very common with Lexus/Toyota leather. Lexus replaced the seat covers in my RX300 at ~50k because it was getting real bad. But it took several visits and the run around before they finally agreed (I Had to take my 10 year old BMW with 120k and perfect leather to convince them it wasn't "something I was putting on the seats").

Try www.leatherique.com for some treatments/repair options if it really bothers you.
Did Lexus did the repair out of good will since your RX is out of 5 year warranty?
Old 04-18-05, 06:09 PM
Philly RX
Rookie

If someone used the Leatherique DYE, have you gave them your sample or you just bought their available colors?
I have 2002 RX with Tan leather.
Do you think their color will be close to mine?
Old 05-03-05, 08:06 AM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Philly RX
If someone used the Leatherique DYE, have you gave them your sample or you just bought their available colors?
I have 2002 RX with Tan leather.
Do you think their color will be close to mine?
Looks like they recently redid their site.. I just bought one of the kits from them about a month ago and they had list of cars with their interior colors to chose from..
Why the hell would they get rid of that..?

I tried it and Its pretty good actually but the colors were a little off...
I have ES 300/110k with black leather. My leather wasn't really black, it was looking more like very dark navy bluish. I'm not sure if it was my leather that was faded since front seats were more bluish than the rear or the colors weren't matching... I guess its same as car paint. If you paint a fender with original color, it will never match the color on the car because color on car is faded.. Either that or the colors weren't matching.

At first, i wanted to repair few cracks here and there but since the colors weren't matching, I ended up dying the entire interior. Nothing can replace brand new leather but i was very satisfied with end results. Hope this helps.

Last edited by thirdmotio; 05-03-05 at 08:17 AM.