Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Black Finish Care

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 06:45 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Black Finish Care

I'm selecting colors for my new GS300 and I really like the black on black, but I'm concerned about the upkeep of the black exterior. If you've owned a black finish car, what do you think about its upkeep? Although I'm very meticulous with my cars, I don't want to get into daily maintenance or power waxing.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 04-07-05, 07:04 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definatley have to enjoy detailing to own a black vehicle. Maybe not everyday, but every other day.
Old 04-07-05, 07:46 AM
Guitarman

It sounds funny, but superpats is dead on really. I suppose it depends on how much dirt/dust is tolerable to you (which is subjective) but for me, I pretty much quick detail it daily, and it's always garaged too.

Just driving 1 mile up the road & back on newly paved streets still puts a fine layer of dust on the car.
It's not like you have to wax it weekly, but washing and quick detailing WILL exact a toll if you prefer it to be fairly pristine, on a regualr basis.

I always say it ; Black is a commitment

( Like marriage-only slightly easier)
Old 04-07-05, 07:58 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Guitarman
It sounds funny, but superpats is dead on really. I suppose it depends on how much dirt/dust is tolerable to you (which is subjective) but for me, I pretty much quick detail it daily, and it's always garaged too.

Just driving 1 mile up the road & back on newly paved streets still puts a fine layer of dust on the car.
It's not like you have to wax it weekly, but washing and quick detailing WILL exact a toll if you prefer it to be fairly pristine, on a regualr basis.

I always say it ; Black is a commitment

( Like marriage-only slightly easier)
Right on the money.
Old 04-07-05, 08:33 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. The more I read about black paint maintenance the more I'm inclined to stay away from it. I think I may choose my second choice, which is silver.
Old 04-07-05, 10:50 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have three black cars that i maintain, never let the dealer wash it, no matter how dirty the car is i always tell them no wash,,, also, i always wash the car early in the morning or in the evening, never wash while it is hot, for sure streaks and swirls. i also use the absorber, never had any problems with it. i personally never tried using quick detailer in between washes, i dont like the idea of wiping the car down with dust on it even though it is suppose to be safe, i would rather be safe than sorry....... its not too bad, just wash it once a week, wax it using good wax every so often and your good to go........ if you love black get it, youll be glad you got it when the car is all clean and the trees and everything around is reflecting all over your car.....
Old 04-07-05, 06:41 PM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Dave I did leave out that nothing compares to a freshly cleaned/detailed black vehicle.
Old 04-07-05, 08:16 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJ
Thanks guys. The more I read about black paint maintenance the more I'm inclined to stay away from it. I think I may choose my second choice, which is silver.
Silver is a good low-maintenance color. From my experience, gold is the best color for lazy bums. It can be covered by dirt and dust and still looks clean from a distance.

White shows dirt easily, but you can just hose it off. No waxing needed to make it look good.
Old 04-07-05, 10:13 PM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Silver is a good low-maintenance color. From my experience, gold is the best color for lazy bums. It can be covered by dirt and dust and still looks clean from a distance.

White shows dirt easily, but you can just hose it off. No waxing needed to make it look good.

is gold that good? i just bought a gold 2000LS400...still don't know how good it is for the lazy bums like me....however, black is really difficult to keep(our old one is black)
Old 04-07-05, 11:14 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My last car was gold. Sure makes life easier.

My first car was dark brown. Oh boy. It was hard to keep it clean. It got dirty just by sitting there. So I never had a dark color car since.

My better half wanted a white car this time, so I got a white 2002 RX300.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 04-07-05 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-08-05, 08:04 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally think black is the hardest to maintain, then white being next cause of all the stains that are left behind after washing....... claying a white car is the worse, comes out all rusty brown, back to the orginal topic,,,,,,,, just get black,, take care of it,, and there will be no regrets when your car is clean and a silver one pulls next to you and admires how nice your gs is......