Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Any tips on keeping leather seats in good shape

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 06:45 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any tips on keeping leather seats in good shape

Is there any good tips on how to maintain and have your leather seats in good shape?
Old 04-11-05, 08:58 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I clean & condition my seats once every 2-3 weeks. The seats stay new and dirt-free. Currently using Meguiar's Rich Leather C&C, but will soon switch over to Lexol C&C wipes
Old 04-11-05, 10:11 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does cleaning and conditioning the leather minimize it from having cracks and those lines on them or is that just because of the use of them?
Old 04-12-05, 05:27 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

From my experience, cleaning & conditioning the seats in a routine manner does prevent any cracks or tears from the seats. UV light from the sun is one of the culprits behind dried out and cracked leather seats (thus most people down South have tinted windows).
Old 04-14-05, 04:32 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I read alot 1st, but I just bought some Connelly Hide Food, and will be cleaning my seats for the 1st time since I bought my GS in late Feb. I am more than likely using Woolite 6:1 before treating with Hide Food.....
Old 04-15-05, 06:10 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered some of the luxus cleaner and conditioner. It's very inexpensive and I heard it works very well.
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=81
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=81
Old 04-15-05, 06:35 AM
xirforever
Lead Lap

The best thing you can do IMO is to put up some kind of tint, no matter what % you get, all %'s are mostly guarenteed to keep out 99% of UV rays. My family has two 91 LS's, one with tint sense new, and one without. The one with tint has 135,000 miles. The one without tint has 42,000 miles. Youd think the 135,000 mile car would have much worse leather.... right? Wrong, even though the car has had a LOT more use in it, the tint has kept my leather looking amazing! Even though the other car only has 42,000 miles and has been garaged everyday of its life, its leather is cracking and makes the car look old and cheap. Go for the tint! Well worth your money, also keeps your car cooler.... gotta hate it when that leather burns you
Old 04-16-05, 10:38 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Arrow

Best way is to clean them regularly and condition them a couple of times throughout the year. It would be wise to use a clean and damp towel to wipe down the surface of your leather seats to prevent any dirt from working into it too. I think it'd be wise to do that twice a week or somewhere along the lines. That'll be more effective than trying out all sorts of products on it.
If you haven't done anything to your seats already, go out and buy some leather/vinyl conditioner. Most leather seats in newer vehicles have a thin vinyl protective coating. So when you're out buying your supplies, do not buy a cleaner/conditioner for uncoated leather to use on coated leather, as it will spoil the vinyl protective coating. According to what I've read, the leather used on Lexus vehicles are coated...Guitarman's posting something about this, which is a sticky somewhere on the forums. When working on the seats, do one section at a time. So once you apply some of your cleaner to one section, do not move onto an untouched area before you have fully wiped down the area you were working on. Apply the leather cleaner and work it in with a sponge. If the leather is really dirty, use a soft brush designed to be used on the interior. Then wipe the solution off the leather with a towel. Water will not harm the leather either, so you can use as much as it is needed. Once the leather is dry, you may want to use a leather conditioner, again applying to one area at a time, followed by a protectant to give the leather the look you want: matt to shiney.