Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Pearl Touch-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 11:59 AM
PrlGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pearl Touch-up

How exactly do you touch up a Diamond Pearl White (051) Lexus? I know its a 3 coat process (040, 051 and a clear coated) but I can never get it right. The color is always off. I dont know how many coats/layers to put of each color. And usually by the time I finish putting the 3 coats, the paint then leaves a bump because I over did it (too much paint). .
I have touched up other color cars before and it's so much less painful.
Please help!
Old 04-21-05, 02:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by PrlGS3
How exactly do you touch up a Diamond Pearl White (051) Lexus? I know its a 3 coat process (040, 051 and a clear coated) but I can never get it right. The color is always off. I dont know how many coats/layers to put of each color. And usually by the time I finish putting the 3 coats, the paint then leaves a bump because I over did it (too much paint). .
Please help!
Use one very light layer of Super White (040), then apply the 051 thinly to get the desired color. Unfortunately Toyota - Diamond White Pearl (051) is one of the hardest colors to match.
Old 04-21-05, 02:13 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How to "get it right"? In a word, you can't.

It's impossible to add a tri-coat pearl brush on and have the pearl particles hold in suspension and apply the same way it was sprayed. It's a mechanical problem.

That said, the best you can do is to gently shake the pearl coat well and use it immediately to give the best result.

The base coat needs to be applied about 2x, then the pearl as many coats as needed to achieve the appearance you need to (as best) match the oem paint, then you add clear, enough to wetsand or compound down the paint level to even it with the rest of the area.

Try not to be too hard on yourself, what you're trying to do has a limit on how good it will look, and beyond a certain point, there's nothing you can really do. You're attempting to get a perfect match via a whole different medium (a brush) on something that was originally perfectly suspended (the pearl coat) and spray applied.

The "overage" of the clear is simple enough though, you need to compound it or wetsand it level, then polish it out. good luck!
Old 04-21-05, 03:04 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For the base coat, I use the AutoSharp pen, works great.
http://www.autovisuals.com/
Then I paint the pearl over it. On small rock dings, I don't even use the pearl over it, prevents overpainting it, which looks worse than just the first coat alone.
Old 04-21-05, 03:07 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Hey! I got that pen a while ago, they only had the 040 base coat.....
Now they appear to have the 051 touch up pen, I'm sure that works even better. I'm now ordering one myself.....
Old 04-21-05, 03:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Hmm interesting. If anything, the autosharp pen's DWP 051 will also be just the pearl coat. You will still have to apply the base coat to get the desired color. Otherwise the knick will look like it was covered in nail polish.
Old 04-21-05, 06:10 PM
PrlGS3
Pole Position

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. This pearl business is a lot of work, especially waiting around for the layers to dry before applying a different one. Diamond Pearl White is a gorgeous color but man is it high maintanence.
Old 04-22-05, 08:59 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hmm interesting. If anything, the autosharp pen's DWP 051 will also be just the pearl coat. You will still have to apply the base coat to get the desired color. Otherwise the knick will look like it was covered in nail polish.
Yeah, agreed, I think you need the 040 plus the 051. Big difference using the pen instead of the brush though.
What, you don't use your wife/gf's nail polish to touch up every once in a while????
Old 04-22-05, 09:02 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. This pearl business is a lot of work, especially waiting around for the layers to dry before applying a different one. Diamond Pearl White is a gorgeous color but man is it high maintanence.
Agreed. I'm on the highway 2 hours a day min, getting pelted by stones. Not fun doing touch ups.
Old 04-22-05, 09:44 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

80% h/way driver here. Tell me about it!
Old 04-22-05, 04:33 PM
Guitarman

As much as I didn't really want to, I bought a Lexus bra for the front end of my GS after some paintwork (hood & bumper were damaged from a flying retread tire on the Interstate) last year. It has helped keep the bumper and hood absolutely like the day it was painted, and I have zero chips still. I wasn't sure I'd like the bra, but now I prefer the look of the bra rather than without it! lol. I even get compliments on it, weird.

I was interested in the clear film, but absolutely NO ONE in my area does it, I called dealerships etc. and nada. So...Carson Toyota sold me a GS bra for $105 delivered.

I take it off in when it gets wet, use a wet vac to suck out the water, and I can put it back on in 7 minutes now. I'd prefer clear film but until i can find someone local that i trust to do it, the bra stays on.

I too hate paint touch-ups and rock chips, especially since the pearl paint is too hard to make unnoticeable. I feel your pain fellas.
Old 04-25-05, 07:27 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Guitarman, do you have a pic of your bra? (No **** intended.)
Was just curious as to what it looks like on the car.
Old 04-25-05, 08:08 AM
Guitarman

Guitarman, do you have a pic of your bra? (No **** intended.)
I have old pics without the bra, but I'm presently camera-less and haven't had new ones taken with the bra.

I searched the forums for a DPW GS with a bra, but thus far can't locate any. I'll keep trying for ya though.
Old 04-25-05, 08:22 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Just Google search for 'bra', I'm sure you'll find something.
Old 04-25-05, 10:11 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please help!
I have White Gold Crystal (051) so I guess Lexus has changed the name.

You can't do all 3 at once. You must give each layer at least 15 minutes to dry thoroughly before applying the next layer, or it will dissolve the previous layer and mix everything up. When the paint is almost dry, dab it lightly to keep the paint flat. (I wrap my finger with Saran wrap and dab it.)

Also cut the brush diagonally with scissors for better precision.

Quick Reply: Pearl Touch-up