Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need paint advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 10:21 AM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need paint advise

I just ordered some paint to do some touch up work on my bumper and my fender.
I requested 2 paints with flex and 1 with no flex. These guys sent me all with flex.
Would it be ok to use paint with flex on the fender???
Old 05-02-05, 03:47 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It shouldn't be a problem. Fact of the matter is, if you go buy ANY name brand high end ( $$$)clearcoat from DuPont, PPG, Sikkens, BASF etc. it will be elastomeric right out of the can, no flex is required to use it on a urethane bumper or other flexible part. And since you spray those paints on the WHOLE car as well as the bumpers, it doesn't matter if there is flex in the paint you're going to use on the fender.

Lower end paints still need it for bumpers and GFX etc., because it's like everything else-you get what you pay for.The more costly paints have flexibility built in and better DOI and durability for that reason.

The flex is really added to keep the paint softer and aid in assembly of the part, to allow for movement when it's put back on. You should do just fine using it on any part of the car. Cheers.
Old 05-03-05, 07:12 AM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

what about the primer?
Can i apply primer with flex on metals??
Old 05-03-05, 09:05 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's trickier, you might have to talk to whomever sold you the paint, they will know.

Transtar and Bulldog (Kleen-Strip) both sell flexible primers that CAN be used on rigid metal parts , but not every flex primer falls into that category.

Better to get the scoop from the source than from me, unless it's either of those 2 brands I mentioned, which are definitley ok on metal.I know there are others that will work as well, I'm just not up on every single brand.

If you can't get the proper info on what you presently have, just buy some epoxy / urethane primer, or a self-etching metal primer from SEM. They sell that in a shaker can for around $12.
Old 05-03-05, 11:12 AM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

Thanx for the advise.
Autozone should carry these primers rite?
Old 05-20-05, 10:40 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdmotio
Thanx for the advise.
Autozone should carry these primers rite?
nope, only auto body suppliers like Finishmaster carry automotive grade primers and paints. DuPont makes a spray acrylic primer, as well SEM. If you have access to a HVLP or conventional gun you can get a epoxy primer like PPG's DPxxLF series. Sikkens also makes a plastics primer, and DuPont has Pla-Stick.