Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Polish for rims..blue magic vs. mothers

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-05, 09:08 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Polish for rims..blue magic vs. mothers

Polishing test...lol

I hope this actual test does not offend any of our vendors but I had issues with my dull azz TT rims...
My tt rims i took off were NOT polished in a year..

GAzi can attest they were wipped ... dull and dirty. I actually believed that the original seller sold me fake azz rims that were not polished...

I had NO knowledge of how to care for them and stupid me used acidic cleaners etc..
I was so frustrated with these rims that I bought another set of TT rims and am selling these...
The potential buyer asked me to try and clean them up...
I was curious and the pics reflect the results.. I used the SEARCH function and found post by out wise members about products and how to's...

Products: Blue Magic and Novus metal polisher
Duration of time polishing 1st set of rims... 45+ minutes..

Blue Magic

This stuff smelled and almost made me bust a blood vessel trying to polish

Product: Mothers Polish
Duration of time polishing in below pic ...5 minutes ... please note that the process was continued after giving up with blue magic...

Mothers Polish

This stuff made a brotha smile and want to do more

I can't wait til the wifey gets back so I can touch up my rims on my SC....lol
Just thought I'd share this with my members since guys are always asking about how to maintain polished rims...

BTW... only used terry towels and scrubbed with very little mothers polish... b4 it dried I i polished in circular motions with a clean terry towel...
PLease note that when the rims were on the car...NOTHING got them shiny.. the rim almost completed looked WORSE than the dull rim next to it!!...

Thanks SEARCH function for finding all the wise members posts about polishing products...
Old 05-07-05, 01:43 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

another pic of that dirty rim polished up a little...lol
Old 05-07-05, 04:25 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did i thelp with getting baked on brake dust off?

i have soo much brake dust baked on the insides of my wheels that even scrubbing with a wire brush only got through half of it mabye the wheel cleaner i used wasnt strong enough (black magic wheel cleaner)
Old 05-07-05, 05:39 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this might be a big no-no but have you tried a brillo pad

on the inside of the rim not the face
Old 05-07-05, 08:52 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Man I just bought the blue magic stuff too. I had the mothers before and it was ok. I wanted to try something better, but looks like blue magic isnt it. maybe I can take it back and try something else
Old 05-07-05, 09:12 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
this might be a big no-no but have you tried a brillo pad

on the inside of the rim not the face
i used a steel brush (like a relaly stiff one, where the bristles dont even bend) which i think is even bigger of a no no, and that only got halfway through the crap.

sorry for hijacking the thread
Old 05-08-05, 12:20 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

I have used Mothers, Blue Magic, Eagle 1, Semichrome (sp?) and just about every other brand of metal polish. Mothers and Blue Magic are not really in the same league. Mothers is excellent for polishing aluminum wheels that have gotten dull due to age. It is the mainstay polish for aluminum. They advertise Blue Magic as an aluminum polish, but it doesn't work like Mothers. I would like to say that Blue Magic is finer grit, but I am not sure it has any grit. I have used it to polish Plexiglass and remove water spots from mirrors. Using Blue Magic to polish dull wheels is like using only 1000 grit sandpaper to prep a car for paint. You can get there, but it will take forever.
Old 05-08-05, 07:39 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xevuhtess7
i used a steel brush (like a relaly stiff one, where the bristles dont even bend) which i think is even bigger of a no no, and that only got halfway through the crap.

sorry for hijacking the thread
hmmm
i used a brillo pad on the inside of gettins took all crap off

looked brand new again
Old 05-09-05, 04:38 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Bill...I agree with your statements.... Its funny to actually work your ballz off with the blue magic to attain a luster that you can get in 5 minutes with mothers....

RE: deep dirt or brake dust... My rims were basically neglected due to improper cleaning and lack of polishing.. I didn't really have deeeep stains but rather more oxidation or corrosion...

I did learn alot about the process though... u MUST polish with CLEAN towels or else u wipe the dirt back in.. also the polish shouldn't be left to dry or else more polish is needed to remove it..lol

BTW... I tried scotchbrite pads used in the stainless steel industry to remove heavy areas and I was unable to prevent it from leaving light scratching.... It would seem that any type of brillo or scotchbrite will be fine for the inside of rims..
Old 05-09-05, 06:00 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

there are supposed to be products that remove brake dust atht you just sprya on and are safe for polished wheels. Mothers as one called all wheel, I havent used it yet but I plan on giving it a shot.
Old 05-21-05, 08:43 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

That's weird, Blue Magic did wonders for my volks. I haven't tried mothers but blue magic made my dirty rims like mirror again. The dirt wouldn't come off the rims before blue magic even if i scrubbed hard with all diff types of soaps. It wasn't hard either, just took a little time. I might go try mothers but i'm scared might be too rough on the lip of my rims. Anyone else use mothers on their rims?