Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 09:12 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Paint?

I have my car parked in the garage sometimes and my baby brother who is 4 ran his bycicle into my door. It put some stratches on it and they are minor but are deep enough for the scratch remover not to work. Any suggestions?
Old 05-09-05, 09:54 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, chances are it's too deep to fully remove.
What "scratch remover" exactly, did you try?

You only have a chance if there's still some paint UNDER the scratch. If it's down to basecoat or primer, you can only add paint via touch-up or repaint.

Your next step, depending on what grit abrasive you used on it already, is to go further down the scale to a heavier grit compound, such as 3M Heavy Cut, then it's wetsanding as a last resort.

Both those harsher methods involve some risk, so if you're not comfortable with the possibility of maybe making things worse, leave it to a professional body shop or detailer.

If on the other hand, the scratch bothers you so much that you'll want to repaint if you can't remove them, then you haven't much to lose in trying.

If you decide to go to a heavier grit, you'll need some medium cut to fine cut polishes to clean up the damage (haze and swirling) the heavy cut and/or wetsanding will cause as it does it's job of leveling the paint out around the scratch.Good luck.
Old 05-11-05, 06:30 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Guitarman
If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, chances are it's too deep to fully remove.
What "scratch remover" exactly, did you try?

You only have a chance if there's still some paint UNDER the scratch. If it's down to basecoat or primer, you can only add paint via touch-up or repaint.

Your next step, depending on what grit abrasive you used on it already, is to go further down the scale to a heavier grit compound, such as 3M Heavy Cut, then it's wetsanding as a last resort.

Both those harsher methods involve some risk, so if you're not comfortable with the possibility of maybe making things worse, leave it to a professional body shop or detailer.

If on the other hand, the scratch bothers you so much that you'll want to repaint if you can't remove them, then you haven't much to lose in trying.

If you decide to go to a heavier grit, you'll need some medium cut to fine cut polishes to clean up the damage (haze and swirling) the heavy cut and/or wetsanding will cause as it does it's job of leveling the paint out around the scratch.Good luck.
I used Meguiars Scratch X, and it's said to be pretty good. I have a couple that are down to the primer, so I guess it would be better to repaint? I'm just scared of chipping.
Old 05-11-05, 10:46 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chipping won't be an issue if the shop is thorough, but it's tough to know if they will be thorough sometimes.

Down to the primer makes it academic. You'll have to either use touch up paint or get some references to a good paint shop. Sorry to hear, best of luck.
Old 05-12-05, 05:30 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Chipping won't be an issue if the shop is thorough, but it's tough to know if they will be thorough sometimes.

Down to the primer makes it academic. You'll have to either use touch up paint or get some references to a good paint shop. Sorry to hear, best of luck.
Thanks man, I was thinking about getting the door and the hood repainted and getting that clear braw they are talking about in the other forum. I have some bad chips on the front.