Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Possible for Cleaner to Remove Leather Clearcoat??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 08:33 PM
beaterKU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Possible for Cleaner to Remove Leather Clearcoat??

I tryed to post this a minute ago and it didn't through.

Anyway, I was at a friend of the family's house and he sprayed a leather cleaner on my seat. This product was called "Malco Leather and Plastic Cleaner". After trying to wipe it off, it left sploches all over the seat. I went hope to let it air out. The next morning I noticed it was still sploched, so I examined it closer in the sunlight. It looked like the spots were clean spots. So I went back to his house and got the bottle from him and proced to clean a little spot on my seat to see what happend. I let it air out overnight and looked it the next day. I looked at it closely again and it looked like the clearcoat/topcoat was being removed. So I let it go and drove it for a couple of days and looked at it again and it looked like the clearcoat was still there, it was just not near as shinny as the rest of the leather. I tried applying leather conditioner and it did not soak it up like the seat on my dad' tahoe. I know the seats are not topcoated like the lexus it is soaks it up like no tom. Anyway, I am a loss on what to think about my seat. It doesn't look bad, I am just looking for suggestions as to what to do about this. Has anyone used this product? If you have, have you had any problems with it? If my topcoat is non-existant or degraded, what should I do? My car is a 98 GS and the seats are in pretty good condition and I would like to keep them in good shape. Any suggestions will be much appriciated.

Thanks
Nick
Old 05-23-05, 10:43 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That product *should* be safe for all leathers, coated or not. Although I've not used it I know many others have and reported no problems AFAIK. Maybe some others can chime in here on that.

Coated leathers are prone to spotting from certain chemicals, even water. Some here may notice water spots when rain gets on their seats, this usually wears away and evens out, but certain chemicals in products, alcohol being a big culprit, can leave those "clean" spots. Yes, I have seen trace amounts of alcohol listed in some leather cleaners, according to MSDS sheets.

You may want to try the following;
Dampen the seats with water, not a lot just a damp rag run across it. Let it air dry or use a hair dryer on low heat.

You can also use a very soft, gummy eraser on the spotting and see if they even out, or even a rolled up ball of bread dough (yes, it works with water spots on leather at least) Just rub gently. Won't hurt to try.

If they're still there, then I don't know what else you can safely try save for another safe cleaner like Woolite & water, and see if that helps. Best of luck, that's another strange one.
Old 05-24-05, 08:19 AM
beaterKU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I look at it, it almost looks like I am just cleaning off the 7 years of oil and gunk. I looked at the top of the rear seat, which doesnt see much use at all, and it has the same feeling, texture and patina as the newly "cleaned" front seat. I hope that all that happened was I cleaned off the 7 years of gunk.

If there is any other members that use this product, please post up and tell me your thoughts on this product.

Thanks
Nick