Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Removing scratches on RX chip guard panels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 09:52 PM
Dbl400Trbl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing scratches on RX chip guard panels?

Hey Gang:

On my 00' RX-300, I noticed that there are fine scratches that look like fine sandpaper or something abrasive was used on the chip guard across the bottom trim of the truck along and under the pass-side door. As you know, this material is a little different than the rest of the body as it's a plastic-like material vs. metal.

For these horizontal scratches, you can see slightly dulled-spots in the clear coat in these areas of the truck mainly noticed in direct sunlight, and it looks like crap. Besides turning my head on sunny days , has anyone had any luck, tried or know whether Scratch-X, 3M or other products remedies chip-guard body panel scratches such as these?

Any help in getting this panel to resemble the orig. look & shinyness seen with the rest of the panel is appreciated.

Kev
Old 05-24-05, 05:24 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's painted you can use Scratch X or any compound or polish you'd use on the rest of the car, plastic or not.

The paint itself is a form of plastic (urethane) so it's all the same to the paint.

What level of compound you'll need to clear thngs up is less certain, just start out with a light cut if possible then go heavier only if need be. Finish with a swirl remover whatever you use.

It wll take some muscle and time by hand, but you should be able to get it where you want it to be.

Best of luck.
Old 05-25-05, 10:06 PM
Dbl400Trbl
Rookie

Default Thanks Dan...

Appreciate the direction and for some reassurance...any quick recommendations for such purpose is appreciated, and I know there are a ton of products suggested here.

Kev
Old 05-26-05, 06:41 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kev, it sounds like a fine polish won't be enough, though it never hurts to try one first. Work some swirl remover (Meguiar's #9 or 3M's) and see if you get somewhere. Don't be afraid to work it multiple times, just lighten up on the pressure as you finish up each time.

If you still have the fine scratching, step up to a light cut polish...something like Kit Scratch-Out or Scratch X, followed again by a swirl remover. I mention those because they're redily available and inexpensive. I myself use 3M Machine Glaze or 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Materail for this step. They're more $$$, and work well with a rotary, though thay can be used by hand if you're so inclined.

Last thing is to go to a rubbing compound like 3Ms Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound, followed by a swirl remover. On dark colors you may want to go from a rubbing compound to one of the light cut polishes above, THEN a final swirl remover. 3 steps in all. White and light colors you can likely get away with 2 steps.

Buff in straight lines, no circles. Let us know what happens. Good luck.
Old 06-07-05, 01:22 AM
Dbl400Trbl
Rookie

Default Scratch-X is working well

I washed and waxed the truck then went over it in same direction as the scratches horizontally and it is fading the scratches out after the first application. As others here have mentioned, it will probably take one-two more apps to get it almost close to flawless. The Scratch-X product is AWESOME.