Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiars NXT

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 08:31 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also gotten good durability with NXT. It held up well through the rainy season for me here in So Cal. For those that want to try NXT I suggest following the instructions and allow a curing time of at least 12 hours (24 hours ideally) before applying another coat. After the curing time most users note a noticeable improvement in appearance. Of course, with any wax/sealant, prep is the key.
Old 06-02-05, 05:41 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to chime in about the durability of the NXT. While I can't claim that it lasts 4 months because my situation is not normal, I do use the NXT on my NSX which is used as a show car. It is white and I get great results from it. Now, keep in mind my car doesn't see the outside too often, so the last time I actually fully detailed it from scratch was last August just before the Agust car show. Since then I have only used the spray on booster and the total NXT system as a whole has lasted to this day. Now, my case is entirely different since the car has only seen rain mayby 1 or 2 tims since last August, and is hardly driven outside at all anyway, but together with the initial NXT application and with the booster spray it still beads up and still shines great nearly 1 year later. Truthfully, my expectations was for it to just last 2-3 months tops, but it has worked out better for me thus far.

On my 04 Neptune Blue RX330 the initial NXT application seems to last about 2-3 months without the booster spray, and I can get it to last about 4-6 months with the booster spray depending on how bad the weather actually is and how often we actually use the car. By the way, I live in Hawaii were the UV index rating is usually very high, but we don't really get acid rain or other things like that. The weather is usually pretty good all the time, but sometimes when it rains it can do so of an on for a week.

On thing to mention that SDLexus mentioned was the 24 hour curing. I'm fortunate in that with the NSX it stays in the garage so I let it cure more than the 24 hour time before I added the second coat. I usually just put 2 coats on. Even the RX I mostly am able to follow the 24 hour curing rule, but not all the time.
Old 06-02-05, 06:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,374 Posts

I'll also chip in on the NXT durability from my experience. I ususally go with Zaino on my black GS and either Klasse / Souvran or Zaino on the other cars (black NSX (sold) and Seal Grey Porsche 911) all garaged and fairly lightly driven.

The 'beater car' LS400 lives outside and only gets detailed once or twice per year. Last fall my detail guy suggested we try out NXT tech wax. Looked very good on the gold color of the car and was very durable throughout the entire winter, even with the car sitting outside. I'd guess it lasted three or four months from a 'beading' perspective and holding a decent shine with very little maintenance. Certainly not show car quality shine all that time, but that's not what I'm looking for on the LS.
Old 06-02-05, 01:47 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if NXT works well for yall then go for it, but I have had real issues with the durability.

It's a decent wax but you can get S100 for less money and get a better look in my opinion. I really like the NXT Wash and new Megs brushes however so it's not an anti-Megs thing.

Maybe I will take pictures of NXT paste on my wife's Camry and take pics every 2 weeks...I hand wash with sheepskin and P21S every week.
Old 06-02-05, 11:34 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yESman
Well if NXT works well for yall then go for it, but I have had real issues with the durability.

It's a decent wax but you can get S100 for less money and get a better look in my opinion. I really like the NXT Wash and new Megs brushes however so it's not an anti-Megs thing.

Maybe I will take pictures of NXT paste on my wife's Camry and take pics every 2 weeks...I hand wash with sheepskin and P21S every week.
Well what people consider better looking is personal preference. I find that on my MSM IS300 NXT looks best by itself. There are nice, clear, sharp reflections, which is what I'm looking for on silver. I've used S100/P21S and found that the reflections weren't as sharp. I even topped NXT with S100 and found that it softened the reflections. It gave an ever so slightly wetter look (probably from the softening of the reflections) but I didn't care for the trade-off. In my experience NXT was more durable than S100 as well. NXT and S100 are about the same price in my area so any savings would be negligible.
Old 06-03-05, 03:06 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

No doubt the S100 is a great product. I probably would pick it over all over the NXT. The appeal of the NXT for me is that you can buy it at nearly any automotive store, and even places like Walmart, K-Mart and such. For $15 for a bottle that probably will last you a couple of years that is very attractive. I think the key to the NXT system is the 24 hour cure, and also using the booster spray wax. The spray wax may only extend pretection for so long, but what it does best is keep the original shine and gloss up.

Anyway, since you are a detailer I know you already know about the general difference of the sythetic product look and the organic product look in terms that sythetics generally has the higher gloss, but the organics seem to have the more wetter or deeper look. For me, that is why I used to still use carnuba over Zaino because I personally liked the deep wet look (Like looking into the paint) rather than the high gloss (Like looking at a mirror) that Zaino gave. The NXT seems to provide enough of that deep wet look and it sure as heck is super easy to apply and remove

Anyway, I fully agree there are a lot better products out there than the NXT. Since my car is white, I don't feel the need to explore much beyond the NXT anymore. For my dart blue car though, it is not really my show car so I'm not too **** about it.
Old 06-03-05, 03:09 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SDLexus
Well what people consider better looking is personal preference. I find that on my MSM IS300 NXT looks best by itself. There are nice, clear, sharp reflections, which is what I'm looking for on silver. I've used S100/P21S and found that the reflections weren't as sharp. I even topped NXT with S100 and found that it softened the reflections. It gave an ever so slightly wetter look (probably from the softening of the reflections) but I didn't care for the trade-off. In my experience NXT was more durable than S100 as well. NXT and S100 are about the same price in my area so any savings would be negligible.
Interesting how topping the NXT with S100 gave you a wetter look. Actually, that is the look I like so maybe I might try topping the NXT with S100 myself For my white car, that wet look is what I'm after as degrees of refectiveness doesn't seem to come out as much IMHO on white, but the depth seems to come through better.
Old 06-03-05, 06:31 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Interesting how topping the NXT with S100 gave you a wetter look. Actually, that is the look I like so maybe I might try topping the NXT with S100 myself For my white car, that wet look is what I'm after as degrees of refectiveness doesn't seem to come out as much IMHO on white, but the depth seems to come through better.
If you haven't already tried this, I find that using a glaze like #81 or #7 under NXT greatly enhances the wet look.

Here are two examples:

Old 06-03-05, 11:16 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

There are nice, clear, sharp reflections, which is what I'm looking for on silver.
I and an Autopian with a Silver Lunar Mist Solara have tried all sorts of combinations and found that on silver it is really hard to beat a base layer of Klasse AIO topped by Pinnacle Souveran. In our experience it beats NXT or P21S.

Souveran is more expensive but a jar goes a long way and if you time it right you can find it for 25%.

Souveran adds a lot of wetness while bringing out silver flake nicely. It's not just for reds and blacks anymore.
Old 06-06-05, 01:26 AM
gsfour
Pole Position

I tried NXT wax for the first time today. I must say it was really easy to apply and buff off. My new STI was the guinea pig for this stuff and I am really impressed. I'm a newbie at this so I need to know if I can safely wax the clear plastic on the headlights and taillights. Next in line is the Lex! Or perhaps I should wax the STI with a second coat?

Here's a pic shortly after completing it. It's a little dark since I left the polarized filter on my camera. I will take another pic tomorrow without it.

Old 06-09-05, 06:24 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting, I was at Kmart earlier and I saw it there... I was debating on whether or not I should get it (it runs out all the time, only place on Guam that sells it) because it was $18.99. I'll probably try it out after I finish up my bottle of Gold Class.
Old 06-09-05, 06:48 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh.

i was debating whether i should get the NXT or TurtleWax Platinum Shine.

i got platinum shine. it was pretty much the same thing...a polymer-based wax-sealer, with carnauba additives. i really like my wax.

but to make it better, i used Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Polish to smoothen the paint out, then i applied the Platinum Shine..

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!#$

the next wax on my list is NXT.

this is what i heard about Polymer waxes and natural waxes from a detailer (detailedimage.com)

he told us (on tsx forums) that a Polymer wax gives a sharper, more cutting-edge shine. the natural carnauba waxes don't last as long, but they do give a wetter, deeper shine than polymers do.

so polymer-based waxes with natural carnauba additives? =
Old 06-09-05, 11:01 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

I and an Autopian with a Silver Lunar Mist Solara have tried all sorts of combinations and found that on silver it is really hard to beat a base layer of Klasse AIO topped by Pinnacle Souveran. In our experience it beats NXT or P21S.

Souveran is more expensive but a jar goes a long way and if you time it right you can find it for 25%.

Souveran adds a lot of wetness while bringing out silver flake nicely. It's not just for reds and blacks anymore.
I actually picked up a jar of Souveran when it was $49 and topped my NXT with it on my MSM. I did like the appearance and it was by far the best carnauba that I've tried over NXT. It didn't soften the reflections too much and gave it a wetter look (more so than S100). While I like the appearance of this combo on silver it's not very cost effective for me. IMHO, it's still best suited on darker cars where the extra expense could be justified. My car is a daily driver so I won't be using the Souveran every time I detail. I'm saving it for those special occasions.
Old 06-10-05, 01:44 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Meguiars Clay Bar
2. 3M Rubbing Compound
3. Meguiars Show Car Glaze
4. Meguiars NXT

I did it in that order all by hand so it was half ***. It prolly looks glossier in the pics because of the flash.
Old 06-10-05, 03:07 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks pretty freakin shiny to me. Great job.

Quick Reply: Meguiars NXT