Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiars NXT

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-05, 05:41 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiars NXT

Just got done detailing my Pearl White RX300. I used Mother's Clay Bar followed up with Meguiars Paint Cleaner and Meguiars NXT paste wax. Wow, I can't believe the gloss on it and it's white. It must be even better on dark colors. The white paint still looks wet.
Old 05-28-05, 06:13 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NXT wax is great and the mothers clay is really easy to use. The wax goes on and comes off by hand very easily. Did you use a buffer. Post up some pics so we can see.
Old 05-28-05, 08:53 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

might sound dumb but i cannot not wax a car! i find it very frustrating, how do u go by doin it anyways. my car is black and i see streaks on it when im doin trying to wax it. got pissed off by it so i dont even do it anymore
Old 05-28-05, 09:14 PM
steevr
Pole Position

No buffer.....did it by hand. My 15 year old helped.

I'll try and take some pics tomorrow.
Old 05-28-05, 09:20 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AJL0365
might sound dumb but i cannot not wax a car! i find it very frustrating, how do u go by doin it anyways. my car is black and i see streaks on it when im doin trying to wax it. got pissed off by it so i dont even do it anymore
It's not hard but it can be time consuming. First wash using a two bucket method so as to not introduce more swirls or streaks. Be sure to use a new or nearly new, clean wash mitt. Next, clay the finish. Then use a polish like Meguiars #80 or ScratchX. Do this on a cool finish in the shade. After removing the polish with a good quality microfiber it's time to apply the wax. NXT Tech Wax is very good and readily available. Apply NXT to a cool finish in the shade as well. The key to success is to apply a very thin even coat. Streaking often can be the result of applying too heavy a coat of wax so be sure to apply it as thin as possible. Use a foam applicator or Meguiar's new Even-Coat applicator, a foam pad covered by microfiber. Leave it rest for 30 minutes then remove with a couple of quality microfiber towels. Turn the towels frequently and you should not need to apply much pressure to remove the excess residue. Don't over buff as doing so will remove wax. After you finish let the car sit for a few hours and don't let it get wet if possible.

If you have any streaks after 12-24 hours mist the area with a quick detailer and wipe off with a microfiber. Don't do this until after 12-24 hours or it may interfere with the bonding.
Old 05-29-05, 11:29 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
It's not hard but it can be time consuming. First wash using a two bucket method so as to not introduce more swirls or streaks. Be sure to use a new or nearly new, clean wash mitt. Next, clay the finish. Then use a polish like Meguiars #80 or ScratchX. Do this on a cool finish in the shade. After removing the polish with a good quality microfiber it's time to apply the wax. NXT Tech Wax is very good and readily available. Apply NXT to a cool finish in the shade as well. The key to success is to apply a very thin even coat. Streaking often can be the result of applying too heavy a coat of wax so be sure to apply it as thin as possible. Use a foam applicator or Meguiar's new Even-Coat applicator, a foam pad covered by microfiber. Leave it rest for 30 minutes then remove with a couple of quality microfiber towels. Turn the towels frequently and you should not need to apply much pressure to remove the excess residue. Don't over buff as doing so will remove wax. After you finish let the car sit for a few hours and don't let it get wet if possible.

If you have any streaks after 12-24 hours mist the area with a quick detailer and wipe off with a microfiber. Don't do this until after 12-24 hours or it may interfere with the bonding.

thats alot, i might attempt to do it one day, see i dont wash my car at home it take it to one of those places where u do it yourself with a high pressure thing. but thanks for the info, i'll save and and attempt it when we have atlease a week of sunshine
Old 05-29-05, 02:51 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Just be aware that this wax does not exhibit the best durability in my experience...
Old 05-29-05, 03:13 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by yESman
Just be aware that this wax does not exhibit the best durability in my experience...
That's funny, I just went through a 4 1/2 month period of Wisconsin winter and NXT held up through the entire season. It was still beading this April when I re-detailed the vehicle after suffering through lots of cold, slush, snow and salt. My own experience is that NXT protects very well.

I'd have no problem recommending it and I do use it on customers vehicles and they are happy with the appearance. Happy enough to bring their cars back after a few months for another detail.
Old 05-30-05, 07:09 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

I seriously doubt that NXT lasted a winter for 4.5 months. In my experience, this wax lasts under 2 months tops.
Old 05-30-05, 09:54 PM
jfelbab

I seriously doubt that NXT lasted a winter for 4.5 months. In my experience, this wax lasts under 2 months tops.
I'm stating facts as I experienced them. I've been detailing vehicles for over 45 years and I know when a wax is gone. I also don't doubt your not getting the same longevity. This can be caused by a myriad of reasons. Amount of air-pollution, acid rain, preparation, weather, temperature, maintenance practices to name just a few.

Besides my own personal vehicles I still detail 1-2 vehicles most weeks. Many of my regulars come back every three months and there is still evidence of NXT's protection on them. Granted the appearance has deteriorated noticeably but the wax still beads water and pass the squeak test.

How are you determining that your wax is exhausted?
Old 05-31-05, 08:59 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

Several ways...I used to detail cars so I have some experience. You can examine the beading on the panels, the overall look with respect to reflectivity, and how slick the surface is.

Guru Reports tested all the major waxes a few years back and I don't believe any carnaubas lasted past 2 months (they did it by week), most started tailing off after Week 4-6.

I'm very good at surface prep as well so I doubt differences there are making a difference...

If you look at the NXT threads on Autopia most members complain about the durability as well but I always prefer to try these things myself and compare experiences with people with knowledge.

Perhaps the coldness of winter helped durability in your case but I decided to chime in here so fellow members get their expectations managed properly.
Old 06-01-05, 05:55 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Default Sorry off topic

Yesman where you been getting your Pinnacle Souvern lately? I'm looking to get a can, but would like to try to get a deal. I'm dying to try it on my Black paint.
Old 06-01-05, 03:17 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by superpats
Yesman where you been getting your Pinnacle Souvern lately? I'm looking to get a can, but would like to try to get a deal. I'm dying to try it on my Black paint.
I buy mine from AutoGeek or Autopia or Pinnacle (also AutoGeek) depending on ongoing sales...I don't believe there are any deals right now...you kind of have to time it right or wait on the sales like I do.
Old 06-01-05, 04:28 PM
jfelbab

Several ways...I used to detail cars so I have some experience. You can examine the beading on the panels, the overall look with respect to reflectivity, and how slick the surface is.

Guru Reports tested all the major waxes a few years back and I don't believe any carnaubas lasted past 2 months (they did it by week), most started tailing off after Week 4-6.

I'm very good at surface prep as well so I doubt differences there are making a difference...

If you look at the NXT threads on Autopia most members complain about the durability as well but I always prefer to try these things myself and compare experiences with people with knowledge.

Perhaps the coldness of winter helped durability in your case but I decided to chime in here so fellow members get their expectations managed properly.
I used to detail cars also and in fact, I still do a couple a week even though I'm now retired. It seems we may have similar experience levels.

FWIW, I don't recall Guru ever testing NXT and NXT is a polymer sealant and not a carnauba so the test results you reference don't quite seem to apply to this discussion.

None the less, there is a general mix of folks at Autopia, some who experience short life and some like myself who experience long life with NXT. One of the more respected members, Scottwax, seems to get good longevity as do I. I really wish I knew what accounts for the disparate results, but there clearly is a group there at Autopia who are viscerally opposed to Meguiar's since they introduced NXT so it's difficult to take everything you read there as being unbiased. You are right to test things for yourself. I posted some photos of my RX330 showing how the rain beaded up 68 days after application of NXT and I reapplied another coat of NXT at 90+ days only because winter was approaching, not because the beading had stopped or the wax was gone.

Oh, and other thought. Have you ever tried to remove NXT from an applicator pad? This will give you some indication as to the tenacious durability of this product. Dawn doesn't even remove it unless you do three or four washings in very hot water.

For me, I haven't found a better, more readily available, inexpensive product in the 45+ years I've been detailing.

But this is only a $14 bottle of car wax and nothing to get overly **** about. To those following this thread, I'd suggest, try it and if you like it use it. If not, move on.
Old 06-01-05, 07:47 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Jeez, lighten up guys....I started this thread to share a positive experience, not to start a wax war. I used to strictly use Meguiars cleaner to strip off the old wax and remove scratches and then follow it up with Harley's 100% carnuba wax. Anyways, I always had outstanding results using that combo on two Bloomington Certified Corvettes. So now NXT comes along and I thought I'd try something different instead of carnuba. We'll see how long it lasts. Carnuba never lasted that long either, so I'm sure NXT can't be any worse. I'm impressed with the glossiness of NXT, especially on a WHITE vehicle. My 4 year old RX300 looks as good as the day it was delivered.

Use what you want......I won't lose any sleep over it.

Quick Reply: Meguiars NXT