Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

When to wax new vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 08:05 AM
TerryMGB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to wax new vehicle?

I picked up my 2005 RX (Black Forest Green) in early April. Wondering how long I should wait before I wax the vehicle. Not sure if the paint has to cure for a certain number of weeks. Sounds like the Maguires (spelling?) NXT is the prevalent wax to use. I always used the old blue coral cleaner and paste, but can't get anymore. Any other recommendations?
Old 06-02-05, 08:17 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Yes, you should wax the car immediately, unless you already have contaminates on the surface. Then you should clean it properly with clay bar, polish/cleaner, whatever...

The paint has already cured while on the boat to get over here.

New cars do not have any protectants on them, unless you bought the amazing product that the dealer has that eliminates the need to EVER wax your vehicle.

kidding...

I posted the same question a few days ago and got some great advice- check it out-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165104
Old 06-02-05, 08:29 AM
TerryMGB
Driver School Candidate

Default When to wax

Originally Posted by bigDlexus
Yes, you should wax the car immediately, unless you already have contaminates on the surface. Then you should clean it properly with clay bar, polish/cleaner, whatever...

The paint has already cured while on the boat to get over here.

New cars do not have any protectants on them, unless you bought the amazing product that the dealer has that eliminates the need to EVER wax your vehicle.

kidding...

I posted the same question a few days ago and got some great advice- check it out-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165104
Thanks for the response. My car was made in Ontario and I live in Minnesota. Not a long trip to my dealer, so not sure about the curing question.
Old 06-02-05, 09:11 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMGB
I picked up my 2005 RX (Black Forest Green) in early April. Wondering how long I should wait before I wax the vehicle. Not sure if the paint has to cure for a certain number of weeks. Sounds like the Maguires (spelling?) NXT is the prevalent wax to use. I always used the old blue coral cleaner and paste, but can't get anymore. Any other recommendations?
It's been long enough so you should wax immediately. Just clean and prep the surface properly.

The water-based paint takes about 2-3 weeks to cure. So usually it's ready to be waxed when you pick up the car. Some Lexus dealerships (including mine) wax the car free of charge before delivery.