Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Autovisuals paint pen

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 09:50 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autovisuals paint pen

Has anyone out there used an Autovisuals paint pen? I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong because the color of the 4P1 paint that's dispensed doesn't look like antique bronze mica. I followed the provided instructions, but it looks like I used a black sharpie.
Old 06-10-05, 05:18 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you shake the pen vigorously for about 5 min before your 1st use? This is an important step to follow in order to get the color to match with the body. Unfortunately with non-black colors, it's going to be difficult to get the "perfect" match, and that's the reality of it. If it's not too late, I suggest testing out the color of your pen on a business card before applying it on your car.
Old 06-10-05, 06:45 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my detailing work, my customers' always give me their touch-up paint that they got from the dealer, and they ask if I could do the minor scratches and chips when I detail the car, and invariably I find that almost ALL of them (save for black & white) don't even come close to matching. That's the rule rather than exception.

In fact, the metallics usually look just as bad as the chip or scratch did, because the match is usually a lot darker than the surrounding paint. It does serve purpose to prevent rust though, when you're down to metal or primer.

I always recommend owners go to a automotive paint supplier and have a pint of their color mixed, it's just much more accurate than the touch-up pens.

You also have to take into account that, no matter how close the color matches, you're trying to BRUSH on paint that often has metallic or pearl particles in it, that was SPRAYED on originally. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY to have those 2 distinctly different delivery systems match up together, because the way the micro metallic and pearl particles are suspended in the paint is dependant upon that delivery system. It will always lay different and visually look that way.

Cheers.
Old 06-10-05, 11:19 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And then there is always paint fade. The touch up ones are at the original color level. After years of being out in the climate, the paint on the car will fade. Touch up pens are good for rust preventative reasons but not for aesthetics.

If you ever get parts of your car repainted, ask the shop for a little bottle of it. If the shop had to paint match, this color will blend better with the car on the part that was repainted. This touch up will be better for that part of the car and probably better than OEM since this one took into account some level of paint matching.
Old 06-10-05, 02:12 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Neo,

is it possible for a paint shop to repaint the part of the picture that I have attached (in the circled portion) ? Or do they have to repaint the whole side of the car?? Thanks. Philip.

close up

Old 06-10-05, 02:22 PM
Neo
The One

I've seen shops do spot blending with OK results. It won't be the same as repainting the whole panel (and possibly even blending the nearby parts). I' ve heard of durability issues when it is painted this way. As long as the shop has a warranty on their work that covers this, it might be a cost effective way. You'd have to talk to the shop though. That area is bigger than the ones I've seen fixed up but I do not claim to have seen them all. Talk to the shop.

The color is a little dark. Is it transfer? Can some of the lighter areas be buffed out or is the paint damaged? To be honest, I am not a pro at this. I can only comment on what I've seen. Without touching it, I can't be sure. I do not have the eye for it like people who have had more experience.
Old 06-10-05, 02:22 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those are some pretty nasty scratches - i don't think the autovisual pen is meant for that type of work!

i recently got the AV pen in indigo ink pearl for the SC - i had some small 1mm-2mm rock chips on the pillars that looked really bad b/c chips on indigo ink pearl are big white dots. the pen does the trick for that sort of thing, just dab and dab until it is not noticeable. it is about as close as a match as i can imagine.

i also tried the pen on a very fine hairline scratch on the rear wing spoiler, and it looked terrible. it is just not possible to get that right with a pen. so i used nail polish remover to take off the ink, and the good news is some of the ink had seeped into the fine scratch, making it slightly less noticeable.
Old 06-10-05, 03:44 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the feedback guys, yeah the scratches are pretty bad, I'm going to try to talk to a shop and see what they can do about it. I too recently ordered a pen, but I'm guessing it's not going to help it at all
Old 06-10-05, 04:13 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by pilip99
I too recently ordered a pen, but I'm guessing it's not going to help it at all
This is not a job for the pen.
Old 06-10-05, 06:47 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the autovisuals pen and can give a $5 discount code to those interested I havent used it yet but as soon as the weather clears I plan to use this. Also this is just a temporary fix until I get it to a body shop for some work.
Old 06-11-05, 11:27 AM
Guitarman

A lot of that looks like paint transfer ( from the other car) and scuffing. IMO, a lot of that can be removed via a rotary buffer. Some of that scratching on the other hand, looks less fixable, and will likely require touch-up or repaint.
Old 06-11-05, 02:05 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

is there a certain paint shop where this rotary buffer can be used? or does it have to be bought somewhere thanks for the info!
Old 06-11-05, 09:32 PM
Guitarman

Any pro detailer or body shop will have the skills to get that looking better via buffing and /or wetsanding/buffing.

Try the yellow pages or ask around within your circle of (car guy) friends. Someone should know of one or the other close to you. Best of luck.
Old 08-10-05, 07:22 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

thanks Dan, I'm going to ask around soon, I just used some polishing compound today, and it got rid of a lot of the paint transfer!! I was surprised so the damage doesn't look as bad!

Old 08-11-05, 07:55 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Great job!!

The pen is for minor jobs. I've used it on a few scratches and it always worked out well, as long as I shook the pen to mix up the paint for a few minutes. With my color, I have to make sure that the mettalic bits really mixed up in the pen and suspended as best possible.

Quick Reply: Autovisuals paint pen