Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to better fasten a Dash Mat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 06:34 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default How to better fasten a Dash Mat?

OK, for the most part I don't like dash mats. However, my wife is forced to park outside during work hours and the sun here in Phoenix will destroy an unprotected dash in no time. I used to have a dash mat on our GS for a year. When I removed it to clean the dash, I noticed dents where the Velcro tape had been affixed. I removed all the strips and adhesive hoping the dents would return to normal over time.

Thankfully, after 6 to 7 months the dents disappeared. I really don't want to chance damaging the dash again, but would like to protect it from cracking. We are using a sunshade, but, the corners of the dash are still partially exposed and I fear damage in these areas.

Has anyone used a dash mat without Velcro? Is there a better way to affix the mat to the surface?
Are there other products which may provide the much needed protection?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rj4510; 06-15-05 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-15-05, 07:00 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
OK, for the most part I don't like dash mats. However, my wife is forced to park outside during work hours and the sun here in Phoenix will destroy an unprotected dash in no time. I used to have a dash mat on our GS for a year. When I removed it to clean the dash, I noticed dents where the Velcro tape had been affixed. I removed all the strips and adhesive hoping the dents would return to normal over time.

Thankfully, after 6 to 7 months the dents disappeared. I really don't want to chance damaging the dash again, but would like to protect it from cracking. We are using a sunshade, but, the corners of the dash are still partially exposed and I fear damage in these areas.

Has anyone used a dash mat without Velcro? Is there a better way to affix the mat to the surface?
Are there other products which may provide the much needed protection?

Thanks in advance.
I use a collapsable sunshade. It is rather large and forms to fit the windshield opening quite well. It avoids the rather ugly dash mat and keeps the car a lot cooler as well. It only takes a second to place and remove it.

Another option is to get a total car cover and protect your paint as well.
Old 06-17-05, 10:36 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in addition to using a sunshade, you should put some protectant on your dashboard as well. something like armor all or equivalent. cuz over time ur dashboard will "evaporate" and eventually crack. when you put armor all on your dashboard, it is the armor all that evaporates first instead, so you can just clean, apply more protectant, and the life of your dashboard is extended. if you ever noticed how sometimes your windshield from the inside is like blurry and when you touch it, it streaks, that is actually your dashboard evaporated. scary huh? get some protectant and you should be fine.
Old 06-17-05, 08:22 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I guess I may be over reacting a bit. I do have a fold out sunshade and I do use maguires protectant. I guess I should leave well enough alone. Thanks for you input.