Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Waterspot Paint Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-05, 11:56 AM
Raz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterspot Paint Issue

I've just purchased a new 2006 GS300 and when parked my driveway the sprinkler system soaked the car pretty good. The water dried only to leave behind droplet stains that I'm having a devil of a time removing...Any advice...HELP!!!!!
Old 06-20-05, 01:59 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First wash the car to remove any grit, then sponge on some white vinegar, and let it sit a few minutes. Then rinse thoroughly.

The vinegar is a mild acetic acid and will remove the mineral deposits.

If they are fresh, the vinegar should work well. If you leave the spotting go, the sun and elements combine to start the minerals etching into the paint. It sounds like you are attacking them soon after you see them, so you should be ok.

You will have to re-wax afterward.
Old 06-20-05, 10:44 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's hard water spot. Use a household product called CLR (Calcium, Lime, and Rust.) It also removes hard water spot in the showers.
Old 06-22-05, 10:09 AM
Raz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips on cleaning the problem...

However, tried them both this morning to no avail...I'm going to take it back to the dealer and see what they have to say...It rained the other night and it's gotten worse. So I'm not sure if it's the sprinkler system...mother nature ar the lack of finish on the paint.

Raz
Old 06-22-05, 04:22 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Raz

However, tried them both this morning to no avail...I'm going to take it back to the dealer and see what they have to say...It rained the other night and it's gotten worse. So I'm not sure if it's the sprinkler system...mother nature ar the lack of finish on the paint.

Raz
If the vinegar didn't work, I'd move to a paint cleaner next. Meguiars Deep Crystal #1 is a chemical cleaner or my favorite is #80 Speed Glaze, a cleaner polish.

Bear in mind that if you used vinegar on the surface it probably has no wax coating left. The paint cleaner will remove any remaining wax too so you want to get a coat of wax on it right away.
Old 06-22-05, 09:47 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Raz

However, tried them both this morning to no avail...
You need to let CLR soak in for a minute to dissolve the mineral deposit. I know it's hard to do on a car, but that's what it takes.

CLR should be OK to use on paint, but try it on a spot (like inside door jamb) first.
Old 06-23-05, 06:34 AM
jfelbab

I assume you have already given clay a try?
Old 06-23-05, 07:54 AM
Raz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for their suggestions...

I believe that I'll be trying all 3 approaches this weekend in an attempt to rectify the situation...

I just can't believe that this surface can't be cleaned easily whereas it's only 2 months old...

Perhaps when all is set and done I should look into the paint protection plan offered by the dealer...

Raz
Old 06-23-05, 08:16 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Raz

I believe that I'll be trying all 3 approaches this weekend in an attempt to rectify the situation...

I just can't believe that this surface can't be cleaned easily whereas it's only 2 months old...

Perhaps when all is set and done I should look into the paint protection plan offered by the dealer...

Raz
The paint protection offered by the dealer is nothing more than a paint sealant. You can buy a bottle of Meguiars NXT for about $15, do it yourself and get the same results. The paint protection is a true rip off.
Old 06-23-05, 02:41 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Many CL members swear by Zaino. So you might want to check it out.
Old 06-23-05, 03:41 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Raz

Raz
Buying the dealers paint protection is the very last thing you want to do. For what they charge, you can buy all the materials and also a nice PC 7424 and numerous pads.

Here is what I'd buy if it were me.
2 - 5 gallon buckets - $5.00
1 - Grit Guard - $10.00
1 - Sheepskin Wash Mitt - $8
1 - 64 oz bottle of Gold Class Wash - $9
1 - Water Magnet Drying Towel - $9
1 - Quik Clay Detailing System - $10
1 - 32 oz. bottle of Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze - $15
1 - 18 oz. bottle of NXT Tech Wax - $16
1 - PC 7424 or 7336 - $100 (Lowes)
1 - set of 3 pads with backing plate - $33 (Meguiar's)
1 - set of 3 pads w/o backing plate - $25 (Meguiar's)
1 - Supreme Shine Microfiber (Three-Pack) - $10
1 - NXT Tech Spray Booster Wax (to be applied after every other wash) - $7

T O T A L = $258

Now this is enough product and tools to do your car 30-40 times, not just once as the dealer will do.

Last edited by jfelbab; 06-23-05 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 10:29 PM
98LexusGS
Driver

I have the same problem. I park my car outside for a few minutes and forget that my sprinklers are on automatically. I walk in for 5 minutes and then you can feel my dread as I hear the sprinklers shooting water across my car.

I live in Southern Cali and we have hard water with lots of minerals. I use Meguiar's Speed Detailer and clay on the affected areas. After using clay, you have to rewax again so I use Meguiar's NXT - amazing stuff. I guess it also depends on the color/surface condition of your car. Mine's black - the hardest one to keep clean. Good luck.
Old 07-01-05, 10:33 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you've waxed your car before hand...water spots should technically be no real problem.

me for example, i also park my car outside, and occasionally the overachieving sprinkler dabbles a bit on the right side of my car. After waxing last week, all i did today to remove it was to use Meguiar's Quik Detailer and just wiped the water stains off, and did a quick go-over on the entire car. my car now looks....just like last week.
Old 07-01-05, 10:34 PM
98LexusGS
Driver

Default OT rant on waterborne paint

Has anybody noticed that paint these days isn't as durable as older paint? I think the EPA forces automakers to use the softer less durable waterborne paint these days. The coating of clearcoat seems thinner too. I remember some of my older cars had almost indestructible paint (Black 92 ES 300). It resisted sprinkler spray (just wiped off), rock chips, bird droppings, tree sap, and insects. It was so easy to use and I didn't have to wax as often. I see some brand new GS, LS in valets at South Coast Plaza and their front ends just look like they went through a sandstorm (especially in black).
Old 07-02-05, 06:50 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by 98LexusGS
Has anybody noticed that paint these days isn't as durable as older paint? I think the EPA forces automakers to use the softer less durable waterborne paint these days. The coating of clearcoat seems thinner too. I remember some of my older cars had almost indestructible paint (Black 92 ES 300). It resisted sprinkler spray (just wiped off), rock chips, bird droppings, tree sap, and insects. It was so easy to use and I didn't have to wax as often. I see some brand new GS, LS in valets at South Coast Plaza and their front ends just look like they went through a sandstorm (especially in black).
Oh yeah. You are clearly right on that one. The new paint is more difficult. It seems the new paint has much less solvent and therefore dries faster leaving orange peel more frequently. The paint doesn't seem to have time to level out before it dries.

It is also much more brittle when cured. Seems like any small stone or bug will chip the paint. The only defense is a clear bra but they seem to yellow and haze if they live outdoors after a couple years.

Back on topic:

I used to park in an outdoor lot in the city, The lot was just a couple blocks from a coal fired power plant and a lot of smoke-stack industries (foundries, metal treating, etc.) as well as being bounded by freeway on three sides. The air quality was pretty bad. It got to be where I'd get nervous when I'd go home in the suburbs. I no longer could see the air I was breathing so I was not too sure it was still there. Frequently, it would rain and then the sun would dry the deposits on the paint. I had the best results with NXT. After a couple coats of NXT the stuff would release easier. I'd wash and follow with NXT Booster Spray and that would remove any traces of the deposits. My experience suggests that polymer sealants work better than carnaubas in this regard. Still, it was a PITA to keep the car clean.

Quick Reply: Waterspot Paint Issue