Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

100+ Coats of Zaino gets you this!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 11:17 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 100+ Coats of Zaino gets you this!

Ok. Here's the breakdown. I joined CL 1 1/2 years ago and pretty much got absorbed w/ the tremendous knowledge of detailing in this forum. There's some hardcore folks here in terms of detailing. I thought I was **** about my car, but after reading the threads in this forum, I feel like I'm right at home.

here's a recent pic of my baby w/ 100+ coats of Zaino (it's an '03 SC430 millenium silver)

carwashes are obsolete
bugs don't stand a chance (they just bounce or slide right off the front bumper)
dust doesn't cling on as much
rain drops slide right off like beads

I know I can't compete against a darker colored Zaino car (like Black/Red/Blue),
but at least I know I'm able to accomplish what many lighter colored cars can't,
a mirror-showroom shine finish.

teeman3
'03 SC430 milli silver w/ black interior
Attached Thumbnails 100+ Coats of Zaino gets you this!-zaino1.jpg  

Last edited by martini3; 06-21-05 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-21-05, 11:20 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Side view:
Attached Thumbnails 100+ Coats of Zaino gets you this!-zaino2.jpg  
Old 06-21-05, 11:34 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Silver vs. White (comparision)

*white SC430 has Wald kit w/ 19's lowered - Don't know what wax is on it*

Zaino silver vs. unknown wax white (interesting constrast between the two colors)
Attached Thumbnails 100+ Coats of Zaino gets you this!-zaino4.jpg  
Old 06-21-05, 11:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Tee you forgot to mention the shine is so slick, the ClubLexus banner kept sliding off of it.
Old 06-21-05, 11:59 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

You put 100+ coats of Zaino on at once ? OR this is over the course of time that you've had the car, which seems more reasonable??
Old 06-21-05, 11:59 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, you have a lot of time on your hands.
Old 06-21-05, 12:02 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

100+ coats at once...well, I think if the junk yard tried to compact your car now, you'd break the compactor.
Old 06-21-05, 12:26 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

100+ coats. You the man.

I am lazy so I only put one layer of Zymol. Below is the reflection of my 2-tone white/silver grey RX300 (white top / silver grey bottom.) Note the footprint on garage floor in the reflection. Somehow I wonder if Zaino is really worth the trouble and expense. It'd be great if you could post a similar "garage shot" of your silver Lex so I can compare. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 100+ Coats of Zaino gets you this!-dsc03694c.jpg  

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 06-21-05 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 12:35 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Daylight shot of my RX300. Note the reflection, but it's a cloudy day. Just one coat of Zymol.

Not trying to compete or anything. Just try to make up my mind about switching to Zaino or not. Help & comments welcome. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 100+ Coats of Zaino gets you this!-dsc03701c.jpg  

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 06-21-05 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 01:11 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

White garage reflection.
Attached Thumbnails 100+ Coats of Zaino gets you this!-dsc03693b.jpg  
Old 06-21-05, 03:12 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Zaino Timeline
============
'03 Sept-Dec (4 coats a month)
'04 Jan-Dec (4-6 coats a month)
'05 Jan-June (4 coats a month)
Forecast for '05 June-Dec (1-2 coats a month)

In the past, I've used Zymol, Meguiar's Gold Class, Turtle Wax and a couple of other off the shelf stuff at WalMart, PepBoys and Kragen's.

Zymol seemed to be the most easy to apply and maintain compared to the other caranuba waxes and liquids (in my opinion).
Since I do detailing on the side, I use Zymol as my choice to do for my customers.

For minor swirls, a generic swirl remover should do the trick.
To bring out the clarity of the base paint layer (below the clear coat), go w/ a good polish liquid.
For a deeper "wet" finish, go w/ a good glaze liquid.
Then, top it off w/ your favorite wax to seal the deal.

Depending on what geographic condition you live, temperature and time of day, shading and direct sun can play a major role in your detailing experience. I've learned that Zymol and other wax liquids tend to dry and form a stiffer haze (pending temperature) which can be tough to buff off if left to haze too long. The thing w/ Zaino, it seems to barely form a haze (after 1 hour) and easily buffed off smoothly w/ a microfiber towel.

But when Zaino came into play, it seemed to compliment and work well w/ silver and especially the darker colored paints.

Since this is an '03 SC430, I bought it off the showroom floor, declined the $600-$800 paint protection plan from the factory, I've already decided that I was going to put this car on a Zaino Lifetime plan. And my Zaino supply since I started, I only spent about $200 bucks on the product.

The other waxes seems to be too "greasy" or "residual" when you slide your fingers across the clear coat. Too much work when buffing and sometimes the wax residue gets in between those knicks and edges of the lines of the car.

Zaino was easy to apply and less residue. Easy maintenance w/ the Z6 Spray and the mirror shine comes right back.

No electrical rotary buffers were used, just all by pure "elbow grease". I give new meaning to the phrase from "The Karate Kid" movie, "Daniel-san, WAX ON, WAX OFF."

As for white-colored paints, I've done testing w/ Zaino and generic brand waxes. Not much of a big diffeence in terms of mirror finish. White is the toughest color to get perfection. But if done right, the white will show a nice elegant and classy reflective shine to the car.
You can go either way, as long as you are happy w/ the results of any certain product that you use and the quality that it brings to the paint.

If you want to go deeper into this, then I suggest www.autopia.org website.
This is the mother of all detailing info. that you ever wanted to know about.
Talk about ****-retentive. But to each his/her own and enjoy!

I've cut back on the 2-4 coats a month now and going to do about 1 a month.
I've done all I can for this paint and I don't think it's going to get any better than that.

teeman3

CREDITS
pictures taken courtesy of lex400sc

Last edited by martini3; 06-21-05 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 03:16 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up. That is a beautiful silver SC. Now I really cant wait until my Zaino comes in. Congrats on the 100+ coats.
Old 06-21-05, 05:34 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by teeman3
Zymol seemed to be the most easy to apply and maintain compared to the other caranuba waxes and liquids (in my opinion).
Since I do detailing on the side, I use Zymol as my choice to do for my customers.
Zaino was easy to apply and less residue. Easy maintenance w/ the Z6 Spray and the mirror shine comes right back.
If you want to go deeper into this, then I suggest www.autopia.org website.

teeman3
Thanks for the detailed info. I'll definitely check the website. I'll stick to Zymol for now based on your experience with it, but I'll keep my eyes open for Zaino cars in local area. Thanks.

Anyone with white Zaino cars please post photos.
Old 06-21-05, 06:23 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was doing it with my five coats of Klasse, which I've stripped down. Good job man.
Old 06-21-05, 10:53 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Default to: teeman3

Forgot to ask: Does that 100+ coats of Zaino smooth out the clearcoat?

Looking at the clearcoat of any car closely, the clearcoat surface isn't mirror smooth like piano's. There's little wrinkles throughout the surface. I wonder if multiple coats of Zaino can make the surface smooth like a piano's. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 100+ Coats of Zaino gets you this!