Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratch in Paint - Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05 | 01:36 PM
MNPine

Default Scratch in Paint - Repair

I have a Midnight Pine SC430 that has a nice scratch on the passenger door. It does not show that much until the light hits it just right. I think the scratch is from below so you see it looking up on the car more than looking down on the car. i am sure it is thru the paint color to the primer or base coat. i keep a coat of wax on it which seems to help some.

have you ever seen an airbrush or an approach to fixing something like this ? i have heard that you can treat a scratch like a chip, it is just a long chip so to speak.

i would prefer to fill in the scratch with paint, longer scratch than a wider scratch than repaint the entire door. i know of one place in town that does paint chips but i am not sure about paint scatches.

any suggestions, please help ?
Old 06-29-05 | 01:42 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Places that do paint chips, usually do scratches as well. Give them a ring.
Old 06-30-05 | 08:08 AM
MNPine

Unhappy

Originally Posted by LexSC888
Places that do paint chips, usually do scratches as well. Give them a ring.

i will shop around the area to see if i can find a place that offers that service. the one time i had paint chips done i was not impressed or pleased with the results.

i am afraid it can not be done at all, truth be known

Old 06-30-05 | 09:17 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MNPine
i will shop around the area to see if i can find a place that offers that service. the one time i had paint chips done i was not impressed or pleased with the results.

i am afraid it can not be done at all, truth be known

I had the same color SC and the color, while it is beautiful, is going to be a real bear to match. If it bothers you that much (it would bother me), find a body shop that specializes in high end cars. A good shop will be able to blend it perfectly but it will not be cheap.
Old 06-30-05 | 10:12 AM
MNPine

Originally Posted by lkirchner
I had the same color SC and the color, while it is beautiful, is going to be a real bear to match. If it bothers you that much (it would bother me), find a body shop that specializes in high end cars. A good shop will be able to blend it perfectly but it will not be cheap.

oh it does bother me. the only thing that is keeping me from driving right now to the paint shop is the fact it only shows up from the bottom angle. i guess it is how the scratch "ridge" is exposed to the light. waxing seems to help hide it but in direct sunlight - it looks as big as whale - at least to me

thanks for the feedback, dark color cars are always beautiful when clean but require that extra LUV to keep them up.
Old 08-05-05 | 01:37 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MNPine
oh it does bother me. the only thing that is keeping me from driving right now to the paint shop is the fact it only shows up from the bottom angle. i guess it is how the scratch "ridge" is exposed to the light. waxing seems to help hide it but in direct sunlight - it looks as big as whale - at least to me

thanks for the feedback, dark color cars are always beautiful when clean but require that extra LUV to keep them up.
nice color

I thought dark colors were easy to match. my sideskirts were painted by Sewell Lexus and they match well.