Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing/Waxing New paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 11:24 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washing/Waxing New paint

I know you have to wait about a month before you wax a newly painted car, but I was just wondering what's the normal curing time before you can wash it?

My car was painted last week. It's already getting dirty. Is it Ok if i wash it?
Old 07-06-05, 03:03 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mikal
I know you have to wait about a month before you wax a newly painted car, but I was just wondering what's the normal curing time before you can wash it?

My car was painted last week. It's already getting dirty. Is it Ok if i wash it?
You can wash it. Be sure to wash it in the shade and that the paint is cool to the touch. I'd suggest the two bucket method and to use a new sheepskin wash mitt and dry with a new waffle-weave microfiber towel. Be gentle. Take extra care to not induce swirls and scratches.

You can also use a body shop safe polish on new paint. The one I'd recommend as safe is Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze. This will also provide a bit of protection.

The time required before you wax varies by paint manufacturer. Some are ok to wax immediately while others take up to a couple months. If you are unsure ask your painter or body shop to be safe.
Old 07-07-05, 03:56 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree... Rule of thumb i thought was a month if not longer to wax the car.. You can wash it gently but no wax.. So check with the paint shop and see what they say.... Good luck
Old 07-07-05, 04:26 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the reply.
I had just washed it last night when the sun went down. Used a microfiber cloth. It didnt really take much to get the dirt off. I just hosed it down and most of the dirt slid off & all i had to do was gently remove the bugs from the front.