Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Busted my paint up

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05 | 09:20 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down Busted my paint up

Getting inside my car ready to leave home to work cars parked up front chaotically I made a retarded move, I bumb my rear end with my boss' car!!!!

Anyways his camry since it hit my car at an angle with his corner of the bumber had no real damage except a scratch.. Instead he settled that proper restitution involved me getting him starbucks frappuccino, and off course him laughing his *** off at my bonehead move, (apparently it looked hilarious when it happened.) I actually dread the hazing ill get from everyone tommorrow damnit! I can hear it now my nick name being crash.

However the result is not funny not funny at all. Im told I could probably fix this myself with suction cup thingies some touch up paint and I guess some careful manipulation of sheet metal, however I figured I asked you guys first. What is the best way to fix this? Im particularly concerned with the paint making it match well.

Insurance (a 500 dollar deductible....) and or a body shop are really not an option thats a lot of money for something so minor. Heres the damage done.
Attached Thumbnails Busted my paint up-internet-version-1.jpg  
Old 07-15-05 | 09:22 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

This particular fold here looks extra tricky, notice the larger more subtle dent as well thats not visible in this pic but on first, I guess i can try fixing that with suction cop

But this fold here.... Im not sure what to try, suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Busted my paint up-internet-version-2.jpg  
Old 07-15-05 | 09:24 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Notice the pretty bad scratch in paint.

What touch up paint should I get is there any possible way to match paint somewhat? I can accept some very mild missmatch but I dont want it to be noticeable a mile away.

Help?
Attached Thumbnails Busted my paint up-internet-version-3.jpg  
Old 07-15-05 | 10:39 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

ouch! bad news!

I'd say pop that dent out and repaint the bumper, then you could just try to match the smaller scratch on the quarter but that would be $$$.

I'm out of ideas.
Old 07-15-05 | 10:54 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

.... Ill pop the dent and see if I can fix it.. I wonder if i could get factory spec paint even if it is just a tid bit..

so far im thinking block of wood, rubber mallet, suction cup thingies.
Old 07-15-05 | 03:58 PM
49GS400
Lead Lap

OUCH!

Im glad your boss took it very well though.

I actually did the same thing to my car about 2 weeks ago but I hit my beater car instead. Same side and everything.

From what I hear the only way to fix is either touch up paint or a shop is going to have to redo the whole bumper. In your case you'd have to pull those dents out first. Im still trying to find out if a shop can just do the scratch area only and still make it look like new. I just dont want to have to spend $3-$400 to fix it.
Old 07-15-05 | 05:45 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

That will NOT buff out.
Old 07-16-05 | 04:47 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
That will NOT buff out.
obviously not the scratch is pretty severe.

But at this point im even considering buying a small sample of paint.. there will be a missmatch but anything is better then, well how it looks now. The problem is I dont know the mixture of stock paint, or type of paint or even the name of the color... ahh.,... frustating.
Old 07-19-05 | 02:15 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

you could also consider a used bumper the same color. If you put it in yourself , you can find em fairly cheap.
Old 07-19-05 | 03:23 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

While that damage is sort of minor, that is more than $500 with of damage. I probably would just take it to a body shop and let them do it right. IMHO, that looks like it will need body work on the 1/4 panel, repaint and blend the entire 1/4 panel, plastic work on the bumper cover, and repaint of the entire bumper cover. While it looks minor, I would say that is about $800 or more worth of damage. I can't really see how bad the dent is on the 1/4 panel though.
Old 07-19-05 | 07:49 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
While that damage is sort of minor, that is more than $500 with of damage. I probably would just take it to a body shop and let them do it right. IMHO, that looks like it will need body work on the 1/4 panel, repaint and blend the entire 1/4 panel, plastic work on the bumper cover, and repaint of the entire bumper cover. While it looks minor, I would say that is about $800 or more worth of damage. I can't really see how bad the dent is on the 1/4 panel though.
There is no way in hell Im paying 800 dollars to have that fixed. (thats a few bolt ons I could get instead!)

Im sure I could get sastifactory results for much cheaper. If i Can get a rear ended vehicle with 16k of damages fixed for 2k, im sure there has to be an alternative to this as well..

I like the bumper Idea however It has been difficult to find bumbers in the past, for example this was a SC400 bumper that was black not the orignal bumper. Ill start by attempting to remove the dents before attempting to fix the paint issue.

Last edited by Inabj2; 07-19-05 at 07:52 AM.