Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clear Coat Paint Run (Attn: Guitarman )

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-05, 04:27 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clear Coat Paint Run (Attn: Guitarman )

I got my car back from the bodyshop and they put a fresh coat of clear coat over my whole front fender over my old clear coat. They repaired a small scratch in the fender. Problem is, right now I see a clear coat paint run on the edge of the fender. It's not that noticeable and not that big, but I'm wondering can that be fixed without repainting the whole fender? Can that paint run be wet sanded and then polished with an orbital buffer? Thanks.
Old 08-01-05, 05:41 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
I got my car back from the bodyshop and they put a fresh coat of clear coat over my whole front fender over my old clear coat. They repaired a small scratch in the fender. Problem is, right now I see a clear coat paint run on the edge of the fender. It's not that noticeable and not that big, but I'm wondering can that be fixed without repainting the whole fender? Can that paint run be wet sanded and then polished with an orbital buffer? Thanks.
i dont think they wet sanded it. yeah, tell them to wet sand it.
Old 08-01-05, 07:41 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Take it back to them and have them fix it. It should be under their standard warranty. If not, yell at them until they fix what THEY messed up.
Old 08-02-05, 09:34 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they have any experience they'll know how to remove it with a run razor & or nib file, then wetsand and polish.

I've removed some serious runs and I'm just a DIYer, so they can handle it. Complain until you get satifaction, and if THEY don't know how to do it, tell them to send it to someone who DOES. on their dime.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-05, 10:39 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guitarman
If they have any experience they'll know how to remove it with a run razor & or nib file, then wetsand and polish.

I've removed some serious runs and I'm just a DIYer, so they can handle it. Complain until you get satifaction, and if THEY don't know how to do it, tell them to send it to someone who DOES. on their dime.

Good luck.
do you mind sharing how you removed yours ?
Old 08-05-05, 08:11 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure, but...it's more experience / practice at it than the tips I'm about to give.

I wetsand with a pencil, eraser(a new squared off one) -end down, covered by a SMALL piece of 1000 to 1500 grit wetsandpaper that's been soaked a while first to soften it. Concentrate on the bottom of the run, because it's thicker there than at the top of the run. Keep it wet with soapy water, and be PATIENT! It will take a long while, you have to go slow with even pressure, following the run.

It's a skill, but practice allows anyone to get the hang of it. If you're in a rush you may as well just sand the run out and repaint, because it's tedious to accomplish, and in haste you'll just cut through somewhere and not remove enough in other areas.The rewards are definitely worth it though.

When you get the run close to the level of the surrounding paint, you'll need to use a foam block and 2000 grit to blend it all out even, so there's no trace of the run whatsoever. I wish I had taken pics of some that I've done, because some would never believe they were there to begin with.
Old 08-06-05, 11:15 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys for the info. i took it back to the shop and they got it fixed for me. thanks again guys