Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Question on removing tint! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 01:56 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Question on removing tint! HELP!

The company that I got my tint done from(Xtreme audio and tinting in Renton WA) did a HORRIBLE job on almost every window on my car! so yesterday I noticed there was a hair tinted into my glass and was wondering.... if they use the razor to remove the tint and put new tint on.... would the razor cut the rubber lines that are used to defrost my windows? or are they in the glass? thanks!
Old 08-09-05, 02:52 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they would soak the window in some solution to facilitate the removal. If they recently installed, it shouldn't be too hard to take off.

But you're right, make sure they are careful and do not damage the defroster lines!
Old 08-13-05, 02:34 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

They shouldn’t use a razor for the rear window or any window for that matter.

I took out my tint on all of my 5 windows, and basically what you do is you soak it up in some solution, then you get a razor, chop the top (you can use your nail) then just pull the tint off. If you sprayed and prepped the window correctly, the tint will come out in ONE sheet, but if you didn’t, it'll be a pain in the *** to keep pealing.

Now its the same way for the rear, except you have to TAAAAAAAAAKE your time. Its a very annoying position to be in, but you have to pull the film easily, no need for razor there.
Old 08-17-05, 04:01 PM
98LexusGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be very careful. I screwed up with a razor on my old Integra and had to get a whole new back window. At least I tinted it before I put it in. Take your time. Those defroster lines are very fragile and I think the antenna is there too.
Old 08-28-05, 12:59 AM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
They shouldn’t use a razor for the rear window or any window for that matter.

I took out my tint on all of my 5 windows, and basically what you do is you soak it up in some solution, then you get a razor, chop the top (you can use your nail) then just pull the tint off. If you sprayed and prepped the window correctly, the tint will come out in ONE sheet, but if you didn’t, it'll be a pain in the *** to keep pealing.

Now its the same way for the rear, except you have to TAAAAAAAAAKE your time. Its a very annoying position to be in, but you have to pull the film easily, no need for razor there.

Will you still have all that sticky gunk left to deal with? Ive removed tint before and what a mess, the gooey stuff that sticks to the window.
Old 08-28-05, 08:31 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EFMJR
Will you still have all that sticky gunk left to deal with? Ive removed tint before and what a mess, the gooey stuff that sticks to the window.
If you prep it well (buy the kit they sell at stores) then you wont have any residue problem. My rear windows came out all in one piece.TO prep it correctly, soak the tint with the solution, spread it over, and over it with a bag (it will stick to it). Leave it for 15-20mins, then come back and peel like and orange. Should come out nicely.