Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Rain-X or what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 09:24 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 391 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Rain-X or what?

I know there are a lot of threads on this, but I just want to get a clear census here, who uses Rain-X or such product, and who just waxes their windows?

I used some rain-x like product last time on my windshield, and the water beads as soon as it hits and then flies off when i go over 30mph. Under 30, I need to use the wipers, but 30-35+ and no wipers necessary.

I've never tried waxing the glass surfaces on my car? Does this work better?
Old 08-10-05, 10:01 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used Rain-X in the past with good results, but the only thing I didn't like about it was how it left a streaky film on the windshield....for some reason that just bugged me. I'll have to consider waxing when the rainy season gets nearer.
Old 08-10-05, 10:31 AM
Plum
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a big fan of Rain-X.
A little tip to avoid the streaks when it is applied:
After you put it on use a damp cloth to wipe it off and then use a dry cloth to buff it.
No streaks.
I tried wax once but did not think it was very effective.
I also use Rain-X on my rear window.
In the winter I apply Rain-X to the two front side windows to help prevent snow and ice build up.
It definitely helps reduce scraping time when there is a coat of ice on the car.
Old 08-10-05, 11:37 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swear by Rain-X. I apply it once every 2 weeks to all glass surfaces including sideview mirrors. I now use the rain-x wipes and I find the application is more even, helping to reduce streaking. I also buff the hell out of the windows after applying as to not get streaks.
Old 08-10-05, 02:42 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I prefer using wax on all my windows. I used to use Rain-X every now and then, then i switched over to using wax. I cant tell a difference. It gets the job done and thats all that matters to me(why spend the extra money).

I also fill my washer fluid with Rain-X washer fluid. Keeps the water beeding inbetween washes.

But for those who want the real deal, I suggest investing in Diamond Fusion. It works sooooo much better than Rain-X and wax. The down side is that its a chemical process and its not a DIY job. You need special equipment and etc. Your local dealership should know about this wonderful product. It cost 200 bucks and last 10 years. This is by far the best product out right now. The Volvo dealership I used to wokr for offered this process to our customers nad many people purchased it. They all had great things to say about it as well.
Old 08-10-05, 03:58 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I use RainX and like it a lot.
Old 08-10-05, 04:38 PM
Tuna
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
It gets the job done and thats all that matters to me(why spend the extra money).
what kind of wax do you use? personally, I swear by Zaino, so Rain-x is definitely the cheaper solution I may look into that Diamond Fusion procedure now, though. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-10-05, 04:57 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I use rain-x, but I really hate those streaks after it rains. It really makes the windshield look like cr4p so I don't use it as much.
Old 08-10-05, 11:16 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Rain X
Old 08-11-05, 01:43 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Klasse All-In-One. Wipe on, wipe off. No streaks and lasts much longer than Rain-X.
Old 08-11-05, 06:26 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuna
what kind of wax do you use? personally, I swear by Zaino, so Rain-x is definitely the cheaper solution I may look into that Diamond Fusion procedure now, though. Thanks for the heads up!

I use Eagle One Nano Wax or some Meguiars on my car and I also have a lot of professional detailing waxes from Volvo when I worked there. I dont remember the names of then though. I've tried many waxes and just about anyone of then should be good.

Last edited by magneto112; 08-11-05 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-16-05, 06:28 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Are you guys using these products for cleaning purposes or for water-repellant purposes? I have used Stoner's Invisible Glass with very good success for cleaning but what I could really use is something that would have some anti-dust type properties.
Old 08-16-05, 06:53 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 391 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
Are you guys using these products for cleaning purposes or for water-repellant purposes? I have used Stoner's Invisible Glass with very good success for cleaning but what I could really use is something that would have some anti-dust type properties.
I use my stuff for water-repellant. I just wipe off the dust with a towel, if and when the windshield gets too dusty.
Old 01-21-07, 11:40 AM
mikster
Driver School Candidate

RainX at freeway speed = good. At night, in drizzle thru town = bad.
You love it or hate it, and I hate it
Old 01-21-07, 01:30 PM
pardo
Pole Position

I use Klasse all-in-one, last about 6 months per application/
I used to use Rain-X, which only last a couple months per application.. maybe its just me.

Quick Reply: Rain-X or what?