Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Teflon paint sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 04:27 PM
ballin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teflon paint sealant?

I was at my local Infiniti dealerships looking at the new M45. Long story short , they offered Teflon paint sealant for about $400. hey can apply it to any paint surface, and brand of car company. Im in the process of painting my GS, and would like to put this on my new paint to help it from everydaydirt, and environments. My brother has this on his 06 A4 Audi, and he likes it.

Is this sealant worth the $$$? And does it actualy work or help? Let me know what you guys think.

I found some info about this product on an Australian website. www.counteract.com.au
Old 08-11-05, 06:14 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ballin
I was at my local Infiniti dealerships looking at the new M45. Long story short , they offered Teflon paint sealant for about $400. hey can apply it to any paint surface, and brand of car company. Im in the process of painting my GS, and would like to put this on my new paint to help it from everydaydirt, and environments. My brother has this on his 06 A4 Audi, and he likes it.

Is this sealant worth the $$$? And does it actualy work or help? Let me know what you guys think.

I found some info about this product on an Australian website. www.counteract.com.au
Teflon® is useless in auto wax products. Not just my opinion but that of Dupont's chemists as well.
The addition of a Teflon® fluoropolymer does nothing to enhance the properties of any car wax, we have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® to be beneficial in car waxes.
Teflon® requires a temperature of 680°F for it to bond to a surface. Heating your paint to 680°F would vaporize it.

This is just another slick marketing scheme to separate you from your money.

If you want to do it right go to Lowes and buy a PC for ~$95. Buy some premium detailing supplies and do it yourself. You can set yourself up pretty well for under $300 and can do your car as frequently as you think it needs it.
Old 08-11-05, 06:58 PM
jfelbab

After a little of Goggle I found another reason not to use Teflon® products.

A chemical used in the manufacture of Teflon products, perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), sometimes called "C8", is a carcinogen. Dupont, the manufacturer, has withheld information for 20 years says the EPA. Fines in the order of $300M are likely for failure to report this health info.

http://www.health-report.co.uk/tefl...ot_reported.htm
http://www.ewg.org/reports/pfcworld/part7.php
http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/pfoa/
http://www.newsandsentinel.com/c8/
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050809/cltu048.html?.v=16
Old 08-11-05, 11:55 PM
jacques
Pole Position

He's just going to use a wax with some teflon in it, something you could pickup yourself much more cheaply. Some basically they are offering $400 to wax your car . Major ripoff
Old 08-12-05, 09:08 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Do the words rip-off, joke, charlatan and con artist ring a bell??? It is useless and cannot be applied to an auto finish.
Old 08-12-05, 05:08 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
If you want to do it right go to Lowes and buy a PC for ~$95. Buy some premium detailing supplies and do it yourself. You can set yourself up pretty well for under $300 and can do your car as frequently as you think it needs it.
Great advice
Old 08-13-05, 10:31 AM
ballin
Pole Position

If you want to do it right go to Lowes and buy a PC for ~$95. Buy some premium detailing supplies and do it yourself. You can set yourself up pretty well for under $300 and can do your car as frequently as you think it needs it.[/QUOTE]

What is a PC?
Old 08-13-05, 11:19 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Porter Cable Buffer the bar none best buffer for the novice. Don't waste you time with cheapie Crafstman buffers, those things are only good for applying product, too slow for decent removal.

Go with 3M Perfect It products to go with it and Meguiers pad set.
Old 08-13-05, 11:26 AM
jfelbab

What is a PC?[/QUOTE]

Porter-Cable Variable-Speed Random-Orbital polisher. This is the tool of choice for most professional detailers. This tool makes cleaning, polishing and waxing a car about 10 times faster than can be achieved by hand.

Old 08-15-05, 08:53 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

How much do they run? I've thought about using one, but wouldn't you waste alot of product by using one instead of doing it all by hand. My Zaino stuff ain't cheap.
Old 08-15-05, 09:00 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
How much do they run? I've thought about using one, but wouldn't you waste alot of product by using one instead of doing it all by hand. My Zaino stuff ain't cheap.
They are around $95 at Lowes. Pads are extra. A set of three pads and a backing plate are around $30. Pads alone are $24.

Actually the PC uses much less product than doing it by hand. You can apply a much thinner and more uniform coat of product with a PC.

The PC also is unmatched in application of polish. It can do things you just can't accomplish by hand.