Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Waxing a new Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-01, 07:12 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer says my new GS 430 will be delivered in the next day or two

I've always been told to wait 30 days after a car is painted to let the paint cure and off-gas before waxing it.

Since my car was probably built 45 days ago and has spent the intervening time in a boat from Japan is there any reason why I can't wax it immediately? I assume they ship the car with the body covered with protective plastic sheet.

Would the plastic have stopped the curing process so I should wait another 30 days before waxing?

Old 07-11-01, 07:32 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Marty,
When I got my GS430 at the end of May, I ordered Zaino and waxed it the following weekend. The Build date of my car is 4/01. I also had to order my car like you did and wait for it to arrive. Based on the time it takes for the car to arrive once it is made, I think it is fine to wax it immediately, unless you are getting your car overnighted from Japan Keep us updated on it when it arrives. I love mine more than the GS400, a lot less vibrations. Only things I am not so hot about on the GS430, seems to be less engine noise in the car, so I can't tell when the revs are high without looking at the tach and I miss the e-shift. Otherwise I love it, great car.
Old 07-11-01, 08:35 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

GS430 GUY,

Thanks for the info.

Great Neck, huh? My old territory. Grew up in East Meadow and spent a good bit of time chasing girls in Merrick, Westbury and Great Neck...and the Hamptons. Kinda miss it up there but I find Atlanta a great place to live. Guess I just can't have it all at the moment.
Old 07-11-01, 10:25 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Marty, congratulations!!!! Hopefully all those candles I lit at Our Lady of Rapid Shipping helped. You can wax right away. As it happens, it was about 4 months before I Zaino'd, but that was only because I was not yet a Zaino disciple in January. Didn't do the clay bar bit, tho I did get one. Are you planning to rub, or just Z1 and Z2???

As previously mentioned, "Shared joy increases......"

Tom
Old 07-11-01, 10:41 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

What color GS430 did you get? I have the Silver and it's beautiful and a nice change for me, since I always used to have black cars.

My Lexus Dealer has a free car wash every Saturday, so this will save me some bucks and keep the car clean in the meantime.

I know what you are thinking, have to clean it yourself and car washes are going to ruin the finish, but hey if the car wash is at Lexus, they should know what they are doing.

Enjoy the GS430, I love mine too like the rest of the members here.
Old 07-11-01, 03:44 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

mooretorque,

I don't plan to Z at all. I'll probably do a polymer if I can find one I'm happy with. I'm not really looking for the ultra deep shine...actually I'm not willing to work that hard on it. I just want the protection a coating will give.

lexguynj,

Mine is silver/gray.

Well, almost. You see there's more to the story, but I'll tell more about that in another thread. Look for a new thread from me in the GS 430 area.