Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Jade Green Lexus 93 SC300 - clayed w/ swirls

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 04:53 PM
hitsolid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jade Green Lexus 93 SC300 - clayed w/ swirls

I’m about to use my Porter Cable for this 1st time on a car I bought this week. It’s a 93 Lexus SC 300, color is ‘Royal Jade Pearl’ – a dark green metallic. I have washed her twice (Dawn) and clayed the car. There are light swirls over most of the finish, and a very few light scratches. The paint is in excellent condition for a 12-year-old car (owner had 2 covers, one indoor, one outdoor. I will finish with Meg’s gold class. Here’s the question, I have PB’s 2.5 and Meg’s 9 and would like to know which would be better, and would one work or the other work better with the wax. I have a lot of pads, and have used RO’s and rotarys. I’m looking for maximum durability in minimum time. Thanks to the knowledge and generous participants of the site.
Old 09-05-05, 07:35 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would never use a buffer on my car - that's the reason a lot of the times for the swirl marks. Do it by hand.

Jonny
Old 09-05-05, 10:33 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it's a random orbital buffer, you should be ok. Keep it on a slow setting, and take it slow.

I'd check out autotopia (sp?) they've got some professional detailers over there and some great reviews & threads on orbitals & their usage.

For the swirls... maybe a 3M cocktail will do the trick?
Old 09-06-05, 06:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
I would never use a buffer on my car - that's the reason a lot of the times for the swirl marks. Do it by hand.

Jonny
I've used the PC for over 10 years now and never instilled a swirl with it. Not once. I've used it on hundreds of cars. It is easy to do with a rotary if you are not careful but not the PC.

To the OP's question at hand. With the two polishes you have, use the PB first with a polishing pad. Follow with #9 and a finishing pad. My choice of polishes... I would use Meguiar's #80. If there were defects remaining after polishing, I'd step up to Meguiar's #83 then go back to #80.

When polishing with a PC apply a ring of product to the pad and dab it on the paint over a 2' x 2' area then turn on the buffer with the pad in contact with the paint. Begin with a slow speed (2) and work the polish to evenly spread the product over that area. Then increase the speed (5) and work the polish until it goes clear or nearly dries.

Don't polish or wax a hot finish or in the sun. A good aid when polishing is the halogen work light mounted on a tripod. I use a dual head 500 watt unit that telescopes to 80 inches. Higher is better. This light will allow you to more easily see defects and swirls.

You can use the PC for application of wax as well. If you do use the PC for this use a finishing pad at a slow speed (2)

Edit to add: Your Jade Pearl paint contains a tinted clear coat. You may see some color on your pads from this. Not to worry.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-06-05 at 06:44 AM.