Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Different situation: Fresh unwaxed paint and tree sap

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-05, 10:47 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Different situation: Fresh unwaxed paint and tree sap

My car was just recently painted and is in the drying process. A tree attacked it yesterday leaving sap marks on the paint that won't wash off

How do i remove them? What's a good product?
Old 09-05-05, 02:57 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Try Meguiar's Scratch-X for a start. If remants still remain, then go for a combination of 3M Swirl Mark Remover and rubbing compound.
Old 09-05-05, 07:31 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Another option is the clay bar from Zaino brothers. It took lots of sap off my truck after parking in northern WI for a week.
Old 09-05-05, 07:34 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree with the claybar. I did mine last weekend and it took a lot of stuff off that I didn't think was there!

Jonny
Old 09-05-05, 08:23 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll have to vouch for the clay bar as well. This piece of wonder can get rid of paint overspray, sap and other particles from which a detail spray will not be able to
Old 09-05-05, 09:34 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I have to use a solvent, i can't do anything else right now, the paint is still curing. I have 2 more weeks until I can wax.
Old 09-06-05, 06:39 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

You cab dab the sap with Isopropyl alcohol or use Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze which is safe on new paint.
Old 09-06-05, 07:09 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
You can dab the sap with Isopropyl alcohol
This could work. I don't know if this is safe to use on a freshly painted vehicle but if you go to a hardware store or home depot and get sap remover for chainsaws. There is a specific name brand that is not coming to mind right now but you just apply it to a rag and hold it on the sap for like 30 secs. and then wipe clean. I would apply a sealant afterwards though. Use a razor to remove the top layer of sap to make removal easier.
Old 09-07-05, 01:40 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If you find something, please post it. I had the miserable situation of having a river birch attack my GS with Zaino on it. Everything I tried to remove it was pretty unsuccessful. I contacted Sal Zaino and I forget exactly what he said but the net result was that sap was difficult with the river birch being one of the nastiest. I did not have fresh paint but didn't want to attack it too much. In my case, clay was totally ineffective. It was like the sap bonded with the Zaino and turned into an epoxy. I then tried to strip the Zaino, no easy task on its own, as that usually gets whatever is on top of the protectant off. That didn't do that much good. All I can say is over time acombination of solvents, 3M adhesive remover, washing with blue Dawn, and cutting with the Porter Cable finally got it off. One thing I did was to use the glass to experiment on. The sap was on everything and I could experiment on the glass with solvents to see what might work without ruining the glass. After I got it off I changed where I parked and now we are in a new building without that doggoned tree. I still notice sap occasionally but I seem to be able to get rid of it now. This was one reason why I switched off of Zaino for a while but I have gone back to it with a coat of carnauba on top, just to act as a release layer for contaminants, carnauba is a lot easier to get off than Zaino. Good luck and be sure to let us know what works.
Old 09-07-05, 04:05 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Sap is a resin. The same resin used in shellac. The solvent for shellac is alcohol. Isopropyl or denatured alcohol will dissolve sap. It will also remove your lsp so rewax after removal.
Old 09-07-05, 05:02 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Sap is a resin. The same resin used in shellac. The solvent for shellac is alcohol. Isopropyl or denatured alcohol will dissolve sap. It will also remove your lsp so rewax after removal.
I tried isopropyl on the river birch sap I had on my car and it didn't really touch it. Almost everything I tried got some off but then there would be a lot of spots that wouldn't come off. Maybe if I soaked the car in IPA it would have eventually come off but that didn't appeal to me. For everything I have had since, 3M adhesive remover works if it won't come off in a normal wash. What a pain.
Old 09-07-05, 10:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I have 50 trees within 40 feet. each way and no way to get away
and 5 cars
Old 09-08-05, 02:40 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I have 50 trees within 40 feet. each way and no way to get away
and 5 cars
If the company hadn't moved to a new location I was thinking about a chain saw solution.