Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Removing armarol

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 04:38 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Removing armarol

I am looking at a black 2001 GS430 with a black interior and unfortunately when the guy got it detailed it looks like they used armoral on the interior. I do not like the shiny look of armoral. Is there anything you can use to wipe and get rid of the amoral that was applied and get rid of that cheap looking shiny plastic finish? Also it looks like there are some smudges on the inside of the speedometer and rpm glass. I asked the guy about it and he said it was not there before he bought it and he and the mechanic thought it might have been from the armoral or detail finish spray that somehow got in there. It is not too bad but I would like to get rid of it if I can. Anybody have this problem? Does it go away or is it a pain to get rid of? It is on the inside glass and will not rub off. Also it looked like there was gunk built up where the turn signal indicator lights in the interior are. Is there any way to get rid of this. The car looks good besides the normal creases and wear for a 2001 car. There are a few chips and a few rubbings on exterior paint especially around the bumpers and it is black so it shows up more but I am still interested in it.
Old 09-14-05, 05:46 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, use some Woolite & water at a mixed ratio or 6:1 (6 parts water, 1 part Woolite).

That should strip it off reasonably well, then you can use your favorite leather conditioner.

Use some clear plastic polish on the clear speedo lens. PlastX or Novus, among others should help, but be advised, some of those silicone protectants DO permanently stain clear plastics.

Old 09-14-05, 05:55 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the Armor All is somehow on the INSIDE as you say, I have no idea how you'll get to it. It may be that the silicone permeated right through / into the plastic, and not just on the surface. How else would they have sprayed it on the backside of it, unless they had the dash apart I guess. I have seen silicone staining that permeated into the lens, so even if you polish the surface well, the stain will not come out. This is why even Armor All states NOT to spray the product onto or near clear plastic, right on the container.

Lots of people don't read lables though, unfortunately. Best of luck.