Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing Gurus -- I need your advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 10:25 AM
inkblot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing Gurus -- I need your advice!

I'm planning to do some swirl and fine scratch removal/polish, glaze, and then wax my IS. I will do the swirl removal and then the glaze with my PC, and then wax by hand.

My question is, I've got the following two products:

3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze - Dark (aka 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Colored Cars)

and

Mothers Sealer & Glaze

I was thinking of starting with the 3M polishing glaze, then applying the Mother's Sealer/Glaze ("glaze" is apparently a relative term depending on who the manufacturer is), and finishing with my wax. Should I be using a fine cut cleaner/compound instead as my first step?

I was looking here: http://www.properautocare.com/whatdif.html
and it seems like I need something that will be a bit more aggressive than the 3M product I listed above.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-05, 02:42 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read that Poorboys SSR 2.5 and 1 are really great for getting out the swirls and light scratches. I believe the steps you have are right though. And the 3M stuff is good stuff
Old 09-28-05, 03:12 PM
inkblot
Pole Position

Thanks...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't applying two products that were essentially designed for the same purpose (being both of them called "glaze"). I may try going for the 3M fine-cut product instead of the one listed above for something more aggressive, but I thought I'd ask given what I already have on hand (I've only used the 3M product once so far and by hand--wow, that was a workout!).
Old 09-28-05, 07:55 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 3M product is essentially a fine swirl remover with fillers in it. I've heard it's actually repackaged 3M swirl remover in a different size .container

The Mother's product has no real abrasive ability at all, but has oils & fillers to hide minor swirls. They are different to a degree, but pretty close also. You should use the 3M stuff first then the Mother's as a last step prior to a carnauba or something like NXT Tech Wax.
Old 09-29-05, 12:24 AM
inkblot
Pole Position

Thanks Dan!

That was actually my plan. 3M first, then the Mother's polish, and then finishing with my NXT liquid Tech wax. But I think you're right...the two may be pretty close in what they can do. I'm probably going to pick up the fine-cut compound

tomorrow since I can find it locally without waiting for an online order and then follow it up with the 3M swirl remover (polish/glaze). I'll finish it with the NXT liquid wax after letting it set for an hour or so.

And just to clarify the first two steps (I just say two b/c I had actually clay bar'd the car about a week ago and then applied a cleaner wax), you're supposed to use the PC to work the compound and the polish steps in front to back directions on the horizontal surfaces and top to bottom on the vertical surfaces, correct? The reason I'm asking is b/c I saw the guy on the Meguiar's site in his video running the dual action polisher in a horizontal direction across the hood of that mustang and then elsewhere on the site it basically says to work in one direction on an area and then switch to the other direction to criss-cross the area you're compounding/polishing. I'm going by your show car prep thread myself, but just wondering why Meguiar's would post sort of conflicting guidance. They basically seemed to run the PC all over the surface, just to ensure they covered the entire area.

This is my first time using the PC, so I just want to be sure I do it the right way. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 09-29-05, 05:46 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

If you are new to detailing, return the 3M stuff and buy Poorboys SSR2.5. This is the easiest swirl mark remover to work with and is more effective than 3M which I also have.

Make sure you have good pads like Megs or Lake Country as well.

For motion, I use the same process on every panel: back & forth, up&down, and diagonal to diagonal. I believe there is a tutorial available on Roadfly which link I will look for.
Old 09-29-05, 05:49 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

Porter Cable tips:

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/det...1430487&page=1
Old 09-29-05, 09:11 AM
inkblot
Pole Position

Thanks yESman!

I definitely want to try the Poorboys but I'm detailing the car tomorrow for a meet this weekend and the product wouldn't have arrived in time. I normally order from AutoGeek so I'll get an order in for the next time around.

Thanks for the PC tips as well.
Old 09-29-05, 09:55 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

You are very welcome!