Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

ready to buy a high quality buffer....

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-05 | 02:11 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info.

John
Old 10-02-05 | 05:36 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

clay magic is good i used it the other day..it didnt take out my swirls but it got rid of all the dirt and is smooth as hell..but im gonna try meguriars sratch x remover...
Old 10-03-05 | 12:53 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tuddy
clay magic is good i used it the other day..it didnt take out my swirls but it got rid of all the dirt and is smooth as hell..but im gonna try meguriars sratch x remover...
Brand is pretty much irrelevant as most clay is manufactured by the same company regardless of package labeling. It is not intended to take out scratches as it should glide over the surface of the paint if used properly with adequate lubrication. It should only remove surface contaminants the project above the surface. Swirls are microscopic scratches below the surface of the paints. An oribital buffer when used properly with the right combination of pads and polishes will remove all but the deepest and most stubborn swirls. Those it cannot remove will be greatly reduced. Try it, you're gonna like it. I guarantee it.
Old 11-22-05 | 08:59 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

The most common areas of paint burn are the edges of the hood and doors.

Will a orbital buffer prevent burn on the edges? Is there a special way to go about when buffing the edges?

thanks
Old 01-03-06 | 12:02 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexAristo
The most common areas of paint burn are the edges of the hood and doors.

Will a orbital buffer prevent burn on the edges? Is there a special way to go about when buffing the edges?

thanks
your suppose to tape edges
Old 01-03-06 | 01:14 PM
LexGS
Rookie

LEXISM
Is absolutely correct, taping off the edges and moldings and clear plastic surfaces is key BEFORE that buffer goes around your car. Think of it like your going to paint your car and you need to mask off the surface areas that you don't want to paint on. Example you always want to mask off the windshield spray nozzles in the hood to prevent burn off the paint.

I know that there are pros out there that can swirl around them very well but for the rest of us including me I tape off everything

Use a god quality tape perhaps from a Auto Paint Store to prevent the tape from sticking and stripping off when you remove it. I sometimes use the blue tape for painters from Home Depot, works okay and come off pretty clean.

DetMich1
Great statement and very true...
When I use clay on my car I don't buy or use the "Special Lubes" for claying I just use plain water in a spray bottle. It works just as good and better since I don't have to pay for the lubes all the time.
Remember when that when that clay falls to the ground we throw it away, don't try to clean it you will scratch your car!!

Cool

LexGS
Old 01-03-06 | 04:16 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Default Porter Cable 7424 or 7336?

whats the difference? I just went to Lowes and they have the 7336 for $109...should I get this one?
Old 01-04-06 | 12:02 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXISM
whats the difference? I just went to Lowes and they have the 7336 for $109...should I get this one?
It's the same thing as the 7424 but it comes with a different counterweight and accessories. So yes get it.