Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

ready to buy a high quality buffer....

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-05 | 01:26 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Default ready to buy a high quality buffer....

which buffer do you recommend? which pads? which speeds? I have done my search and found that it is easily to burn the paint if your rookie..any advice is well appreciated...i just have recently done my research so i am definitely a rookie...thanks a lot

cody
Old 10-02-05 | 01:45 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Porter Cable 7424 or 7336

They are both the samething, but 1lb difference in counterweight (you wont notice any difference).

There are many pads to choose from. Lake Country, Meguiars, Sonus DAS, etc.

With the Porter Cable, you will not be able to burn paint unless you try really hard. I can give it to my 8 years old little sister to buff my car and she can probably do it without leaving any unwanted marks. By far the easiest and stronger buffer for the money. Trust me. It's no slouch (check out autopia.org forum for rewiews on it). It's idiot proof.

here is some of my work on my old car:

Old 10-02-05 | 01:46 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Old 10-02-05 | 01:47 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, Porter Cable is hands down the best.
Old 10-02-05 | 01:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

My friend's heavily oxidized carbon fiber hood (this oxidation was THICK)

Sorry if I'm posting up too much pictures. I just want to show the potential of what a good buffer can do

Mind you, the Acura Legend had original paint (almost 14 years old)

The most important thing is the combination of buffering techniques plus the product choice (polish, wax, etc)

I bought my Porter Cable at lowes for $90 (I think its 109 now) and I think it's well worth it. I ordered the pads through autopia for about $50 I think? Might be lower now.
Old 10-02-05 | 02:54 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

porter cable 7424 huh? sounds good I'll look into that....
Old 10-02-05 | 05:16 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Porter Cable 7424 hands down. Check out Autopia.org and there is a ton of info over there on the buffer and technique. I also recommend Lake Country pads. Great pad and I have gotten great results from them. You can get them from Detailedimage.com That is the cheapest I have seen them
Old 10-02-05 | 08:34 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Porter Cable 7424 hands down. Check out Autopia.org and there is a ton of info over there on the buffer and technique. I also recommend Lake Country pads. Great pad and I have gotten great results from them. You can get them from Detailedimage.com That is the cheapest I have seen them
my swirls are kinda deep do you think a good buffer wil goes them out??..i would post pics but im out of town til friday..i tired clay magic..toyo guard..sratch remover..it looks horrible all thw swirls..
Old 10-02-05 | 08:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

If it's too deep, the porter cable may not be able to take it out effectively. You'll need to get someone who is very experienced with a rotary buffer.

porter cable may be able to take it out, but it sure will take ages to do so.
Old 10-02-05 | 08:42 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

yea well when i get home and i get it done and it doesnt come out im gonna get rid of the car..seriously i cant deal with it..its horrible really is..i wouldnt wish swirl marks this bad on anyone lol
Old 10-02-05 | 09:06 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

any orbital buffer wont burn paint but if u get just a rotational buffer you can have the possibility of burning paint.

the oribtial buffer is designed for dummies to use a buffer and not burn paint.. if i can do it you can do it

i have ryobi orbital buffer for well over 2yrs now no problems with it... i just use 100% terry cotton pads

edit: ooh my pads are meguirs

Last edited by joshoowa; 10-02-05 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-02-05 | 10:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by tuddy
yea well when i get home and i get it done and it doesnt come out im gonna get rid of the car..seriously i cant deal with it..its horrible really is..i wouldnt wish swirl marks this bad on anyone lol
Take a look at the 4th picture I posted of the reflection of the sunlight. My hood was heavily swirled from god knows what the original owner washed it with. Porter Cable, cutting pad, and polish make 90% of the swirls go away. all that is left are very deep lines of scratches (here and there)
Old 10-02-05 | 12:10 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuddy

Dont sell. If you cant get them out yourself then go to a detailer or body shop and have them work their magic, and it is better if you get a shop that has recommendations from people who have been there so you can see the kind of work they do. It shouldnt cost too much, especially if a detailer does it
Old 10-02-05 | 01:52 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad you posted this thread because i came home to ask the same Q. What clay bar do you guys recommend for all this grime. I live in an apartment complex so i don't get to wash my car nearly as often as i want too, or garage it. I'm sure this will eventually make it to the detailing section, but i'll get more responces this way. Also, i appologize Alohags3 if this is thread hijacking.

John
Old 10-02-05 | 02:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Mothers and Clay Magic are what I used. Honeslty, most clay bar should be fine. It's more of how you use it than what you use.

Quick Reply: ready to buy a high quality buffer....