Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Perforated seats w/ ventilation: different practices for conditioning leather?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-05, 06:44 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Perforated seats w/ ventilation: different practices for conditioning leather?

I don't have perforated leather seats, much less ventilating seats, at the moment, but I did drive an 06 GS300 loaner car a couple days ago with ventilated seats and loved it. BUT, I've gotta say, I'd be really worried about using leather conditioning on them as I'd fear that I'd build up some kind of blockage in the holes, or worse yet, have conditioner seep inside the hole and block the path where the air comes from inside the seat (something much harder to correct I can only guess?

With something like Zaino or any other thick/cream-based conditioner I don't think this would be too much of a concern... just keep it thin. But with something like leatherique which instructs you to apply liberally and leave it sitting there for a few hours, and particularly something like leatherique because it's very liquid... I'd be very worried about the stuff going down there and hardening and blocking the air flow.

Is this a legitamite concern and if so how do you circumvent this problem?
Old 10-03-05, 09:15 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it could be a concern. I honestly don't know the mechanicals/technical side of ventilated seats, but I do know that perforated leather and waxy / thick conditioners are problematic. Usually you can just use some compressed air on them to remove the offending buildup.

You're correct in that some conditioners are worse at residue than others, so Zaino or even 303 Aerospace protectant would be good choices, the latter being no problem at all with perforations.

If someone can explain the tech side of the active ventilation in the newer seats, we may be able to determine whether or not conditioner buildup would be deleterious to them or not.

For simple perforated leathers, it's merely a nuisance, although I personally think having conditioner stuck in there will lead to dirt build up faster. Hence the reason you'd want to blow it out if possible.
Old 10-03-05, 10:13 AM
inkblot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman
I think it could be a concern. I honestly don't know the mechanicals/technical side of ventilated seats, but I do know that perforated leather and waxy / thick conditioners are problematic. Usually you can just use some compressed air on them to remove the offending buildup.

You're correct in that some conditioners are worse at residue than others, so Zaino or even 303 Aerospace protectant would be good choices, the latter being no problem at all with perforations.

If someone can explain the tech side of the active ventilation in the newer seats, we may be able to determine whether or not conditioner buildup would be deleterious to them or not.

For simple perforated leathers, it's merely a nuisance, although I personally think having conditioner stuck in there will lead to dirt build up faster. Hence the reason you'd want to blow it out if possible.
I can certainly vouch for the "clogging" of the ventilation holes in the seats...the ES330 loaner I had a couple months ago was completely non-functional on the passenger side. Being a loaner, however, I think someone may have spilled coffee on the seat and the dealer tried cleaning it With alot of the newer models having this feature, I think it would be great to find out the best way to maintain them...I'll have to look into this. Compressed air may do the trick, so long as the clogging is at the surface level I'd think.
Old 12-05-05, 11:07 AM
topspin71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone find a solution to conditioning perforated seats with ventilation? I have some of the same concens about clogging the vents.

Thanks In Advance
Old 12-09-05, 12:06 PM
VirtuousE
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The perforated leather provides ventilation and prevents slippage.How to for perforated leather...

[QUOTE=I honestly don't know the mechanicals/technical side of ventilated seats"[/QUOTE]

Last edited by VirtuousE; 12-09-05 at 01:06 PM.