Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-01, 01:26 PM
Mike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem with my paint. the hood and trunk almost seem to have like an overspray on them. I try to wax it, and it is almost impossible to get the wax off, and when I do, it looks all streaked. I don't know what to do. Since the car has no clearcoat, I'm not sure what can be done. I'm wondering if that clay stuff might work. Does anybody know where I can get that stuff? Or any other suggestions. Does any special care have to be take because of no clearcoat?

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-17-01, 04:05 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Mike, try www.zainobros.com They will have all your solutions to your paint problems.
Old 07-18-01, 08:09 AM
Shogun
Driver

Default Claying is a solution

Mike,

Whether it is paint overspray or bonded contaminents claying will solve your problem. The only question is 'how much claying?'

First off, there are lot of opinions on which clay to use. I would not wory too much about that - they all work reasonably well. Pep Boys carries Mother's Clay Bar and it should work just dandy.

Claying will remove surface particles and will return the paint to the factory freash, baby butt smooth, finish.

If you have not clayed before - don't fret. It's not as complicated or as scary as it sounds but you do need to follow a couple of very important steps.

Here's the deal. When you clay, you spray a lubricant (comes with the clay bar) on the paint and then rub the clay across the paint which will literally 'shear off' or lift contaminents from the paint.

Important points:
Because the clay holds these contaminents it is very important that you -
1. Knead the clay after each rub - like you use to do with silly putty after you lifted a comic strip.
2. Liberally use the lubricant.
3. If you drop the clay on the ground - discard it immediately. The clay will pick up all sorts of grit and dirt and you DO NOT want to rub those ingrediants across your paint unless you really like scratches.

Use the clay on a single section until it feels silky smooth.

A clay bar usually lasts for the 2 or 3 complete car treatments.

When you clay you remove all everything off your paint including the wax - so you WILL NEED TO wax afterwards.

Good Luck,
Eric