Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

my window needs to be retint

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 01:49 PM
jdmtruong
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my window needs to be retint

right now i am rolling around on ''charcoal smoke'' tint on my sc4. it is 5% 3 rear windows and 35%. i would wanna retint my car to black instead. hoping to be 5% in the back and 15% in the front. my question is, the back has the heater lines. if i retint it, how would they take off the old tint and put in the new? would i still have my heater lines available to use? i made a fatass mistake and i need some help. tried search, but no one had my problem. help me CL.
Old 10-10-05, 11:17 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a pretty simple removal process, Leave your car out in direct sunlight for about 20-30 min and in the mean time, turn on your rear defrosters, after about 20-25 min you will see that the rear glass is pretty warm to the touch. Thats when you get in the back seat with a blow dryer and begin at one corner and start to slowly pry the tint away from on corner, If you see that the tint wont come off as easy as you would think, just heat up that spot with the blow dryer and then start pulling it off a lil bit at a time. Once you get all the tint off you want to go back with a strong cleaner type spray and try to get the sticky film off the window, usually the pros use a razor blade to scrape off the glue, but if your not too sure about using the blade just clean it with some sort of spray cleaner.

Hope this helps

Tommy
Old 10-10-05, 01:03 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do it yourself, but I know pro places can take off the tint without disturbing the defrost lines. Give some of your local places a call. If you want to do it yourself, I've heard people using ammonia based cleaners and removing the film that way without disturbing the lines. Haven't done it myself so can't help you there.
Old 10-14-05, 11:55 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexiss_sc400
Its a pretty simple removal process, Leave your car out in direct sunlight for about 20-30 min and in the mean time, turn on your rear defrosters, after about 20-25 min you will see that the rear glass is pretty warm to the touch. Thats when you get in the back seat with a blow dryer and begin at one corner and start to slowly pry the tint away from on corner, If you see that the tint wont come off as easy as you would think, just heat up that spot with the blow dryer and then start pulling it off a lil bit at a time. Once you get all the tint off you want to go back with a strong cleaner type spray and try to get the sticky film off the window, usually the pros use a razor blade to scrape off the glue, but if your not too sure about using the blade just clean it with some sort of spray cleaner.

Hope this helps

Tommy
WOW use pure ammonia to remove tint/glue or you can have your local tint shop steam the window tint off