Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 12-16-14, 12:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

how do clean your wheels? windex?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 12:36 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do clean your wheels? windex?

I have always used windex on my chrome wheels ...is this ok ...or should I be using something else?

what are the proper steps to cleaning wheels ?

I normally

1. wash them with car soap
2. rinse off
3. wipe down with paper napkins
4. windex and wipe off

anything else I should do ?

Thanks

Last edited by LEXISM; 11-02-05 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-02-05, 02:32 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Windex has ammonia so it might damage the wheel coating, but I doubt it. I wouldnt' switch on account of that, however it might be easier to use a real wheel cleaner. There are about a million, lots have acids, some don't. It sounds to me like you keep your wheels pretty clean so a mild one like duponts wheel cleaner should be ok. It's a spray on, wait 30 seconds, spray off deal - works really well.
Old 11-02-05, 03:31 PM
LexAtlanta
Driver School Candidate

I use car wash soap and a microfiber towel. After the wheel and tire are dry I spray the entire thing - wheel and tire - with 303. Let it sit for a few minutes and then finish the wheel off with a microfiber towel. The wheel will shine and because of the 303 it will resist brake dust. Plus, the next time you wash your wheels everything will come off easier.

303 has about a billion uses
Old 11-02-05, 04:08 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a lower grade car soap (but I use boutique products for my paint, so by "lower grade", it might be like "good" to most consumers) and a dedicated sheepskin mit.

No need for any wheel cleaner at all if you're washing your car weekly. As long as there's no caked on or baked on dust, wheel cleaner will just unnecessarily risk damaging the wheel.

Wax/seal afterwards.
Old 11-02-05, 04:18 PM
toymachine40k
Pole Position

Say hello to your wheels' best friends for 2006 from Meguiars:

I intend to use one of those wheel cleaners on my new Volks!

Last edited by toymachine40k; 11-02-05 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-02-05, 04:22 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toymachine40k
Say hello to your wheels best friends for 2006 from Meguiars:

I intend to use one of those wheel cleaners on my new Volks!
I haven't used any of those, but if you're looking for a consumer brand, store bought wheel cleaner, I've had best results with Eagle One All Wheel & Tire. Comes in a silver bottle now, instead of the older orange one. Great sprayer kind of foams the cleaner, which helps it stick to the surface and clean better.

If you want a real boutique wheel cleaner, try P21S Gel Cleaner. Same idea as the foaming; it sticks to the wheel longer.
Old 11-02-05, 05:03 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I've used that Eagle stuff, works pretty well. The Michellin Brake Dust Repellant is decent too.
Old 11-03-05, 05:45 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Windex is ok in a pinch. Like if you weren't going to wash the car but wanted to shine up your rims real quick. However when you wash you should be using something like the P21S gel or megs foam or gel. Follwed by Mothers chrome polish or Nevr dull wadding polish.
Old 11-03-05, 06:52 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, Windex certainly won't hurt chrome, but if it is the variety that contains ammonia or alcohol it will strip any wax/ sealant you have on the rims, so why not clean them with something mild that won't strip any protection you have? The others have had some good choices too.
I suggest just a quick detailer on them in between washes, it will first lubricate the brake dust and then clean & shine, and a mild non alkaline car wash soap when washing. Chrome is pretty easy as long as you maintain it regularly. Cheers.
Old 11-03-05, 08:05 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

automotive car wash
Old 11-03-05, 08:25 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Simple Green, then car wash soap. Rinse then dry. I had some Eagle One A2Z wheel cleaner, used it only once cause, it is harmful to the HRE Aluminum, especially the inner barrells. DO NOT use that shizzy, it is muy malo-

Doug

PS- The Eagle One Cleaner has a pic of a HRE wheel on the bottle
Old 11-03-05, 08:52 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

I use simple green to clean my dirt bike after a nice romp through the mud. However I wouldn't use it on my rims. That stuff is strong. I dillute it a ton even just to use on my dirtbike. I sure as hell wouldn't use it on HRE rims. If you've been using it for a while and haven't had problems by all means continue doing it. my.02
Old 11-03-05, 05:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Soap and water. Then I use the Michelin Wheel and Tire Kit. Tire and wheel cleaner, Tire shine, and Brake Dust Repellant. Works great. And you dont have to clean your wheels as often and th brake dust comes off really easy.
Old 11-03-05, 10:17 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

ok well now I have Chrome Zauber Gettins w/ Polished Clearcoated Rims...how do i take care of these?
Old 11-04-05, 08:57 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by superpats
I use simple green to clean my dirt bike after a nice romp through the mud. However I wouldn't use it on my rims. That stuff is strong. I dillute it a ton even just to use on my dirtbike. I sure as hell wouldn't use it on HRE rims. If you've been using it for a while and haven't had problems by all means continue doing it. my.02
Dom-

The simple green I use is diluted, not straight up. My rims (HRE & Zaubers) have had no ill effects. I use it to loosen the brake dust after hitting the wheels with a hose, then wash them with the car soap, then rinse clean. It has had no effect on the clear coat on either style rims (both clear coated)

D

Quick Reply: how do clean your wheels? windex?