Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

pre-wax cleaner/cleanser question.............

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-05, 06:31 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question pre-wax cleaner/cleanser question.............

I've been doing this detail thing for a little over a year now and have had much success and gained a very nice core of regulars. It's getting to the time of year where i'm claying alot of vehicles and prepping them for the nasty winter months in the Northeast. I have a question about my process after claying. Normally after claying I will do a quick wash of the vehicle again and then begin to polish, glaze and finally wax. However after doing some research I've found that some people use what is called a pre-wax cleaner or paint cleanser after claying. Could I be doing this step before polishing? Should it take the place of washing again after claying. Or is this overkill to use and then polish after. I don't want to damage the integrity of the paint on any customers vehicle. can anyone with enough knowledge and experience chime in here. *cough* Dan. *cough*
Old 11-03-05, 06:43 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dom, using a pre-cleaner after claying and before polishing would be superflous. No real need for it.

The clay is taking care of the contaminants on the paint, and the polish will remove light oxidation and swirls. A pre-cleaner tries to do a bit of both of those (although it won't help at all with swirls if it contains solvent cleaners vs abrasives).

Just keep doing it the way you are, you're doing fine.
Old 11-03-05, 06:48 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the SUPER fast response Dan. Saves me time and money and we both know time is money .